Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting Agent

Options
  • 25-11-2011 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I've been living in Waterford for a while now, and have always dealt Hutchinsons as a letting agent, however I am becoming increasingly annoyed at their manner in carrying out business, and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on the other agents around the area i.e. Book-a-Room.

I have spoken to a few other people who also found certain members of the staff to be rude and unprofessional in dealings they've had with them, so I don't think it is an issue from my side. I would therefore be grateful if someone could suggest an agent who may be easier to deal with?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Personally, I found book-a-room a nightmare. Horrible to deal with and getting back my deposit was a bigger job then robbing a bank.

If you want my advice, cut the middleman and get a place directly off a landlord. That way you have a direct number for them if anything goes wrong and you'll know fairly quickly after meeting them if they are on the ball or not.

Remember that this is a renters market now so don't be afraid to haggle on the rent price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭G S R

ziedth wrote: »
    Personally, I found book-a-room a nightmare. Horrible to deal with and getting back my deposit was a bigger job then robbing a bank.

If you want my advice, cut the middleman and get a place directly off a landlord. That way you have a direct number for them if anything goes wrong and you'll know fairly quickly after meeting them if they are on the ball or not.

Remember that this is a renters market now so don't be afraid to haggle on the rent price.

I'd agree with all that Ziedth. Just to add I wasn't totally impressed with Manor Properties either when it came to get back my deposit four or five years ago, although that may have changed by now.

Go direct where at all possible I'd say. . . and avoid Templars Hall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I don't know why you'd be bothering going near a letting agent these days? Do yourself a favour and check out daft.ie. You'll save yourself a few bob.

Even if you went that route I wouldn't recommend Book-A-Room either. Found them quite poor before from a landlord's perspective. Used other providers who I found better, but don't bother using agents any more. Waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

I strongly agree with the above. Letting agents are a complete waste of money (especially these days).

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Whether they are a waste of money or not book a room have improved an awful lot in recent times. I'm on my 5th place with them now and very happy with the service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

warren palmer of palmer auctioneers very good to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Another vote for going directly to a landlord, and cutting out the agents.

We had a nightmare time with Hutchinsons a good few years ago, sounds like they haven't changed at all. Wouldn't go to them again if they were the only agents in the whole of the country. Massive issues with return of deposit, an incredibly rude and arrogant agent was dealing with our tenancy, and we gave up even trying to get our deposit back in the end. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have taken a case against them. However I was very young and naieve and didn't know what steps I could take regarding PRTB etc.

I found Manor properties to be ok, rented with them for a few years, grand in so far as they were easy-going and friendly, took care of general maintenance/minor repairs etc but we found it nigh-on impossible to get some necessary major repair work carried out (don't know if it was the landlord dragging his heels or what). Deposit return was not an issue with them. Liked dealing with them, in fact.

Have heard first-hand some awful stories about bookaroom. They may have improved in the last year or two, I don't know, no-one I know will deal with them anymore so don't have any current firsthand stories.

Palmers are nice chaps to deal with, but we didn't go with a house with them in the end so don't know what they are like to deal with when you are a sitting tenant.

Private landlords are the way to go IME. Never had any issue with return of deposits, and prompt maintenance of property - that's been my experience in approx 15 years of renting: 11 different properties; 4 of said properties were via agencies and the rest private. Would avoid agents if at all possible, and, with daft.ie and the local papers, it's very easy to do so.

You'll also have the bonus of being able to sound out a potential landlord straight away and get a feeling if they are decent or chancers. Have had some lucky escapes over the years when I met the landlord at a viewing and realised they were the type that would not give a fig about upkeep or habitable standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

I currently rent with book a room and I have to say they have been spot on the deal with, was able to haggle with the rent and the house needed repairs done to electricals and it was done within two days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Wait till you try get your deposit back,I think you'll find them quiet elusive..giddy up.

Had my deposit back before I moved, and never an issue any other time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

hardybuck wrote: »
    I don't know why you'd be bothering going near a letting agent these days? Do yourself a favour and check out daft.ie. You'll save yourself a few bob.

Even if you went that route I wouldn't recommend Book-A-Room either. Found them quite poor before from a landlord's perspective. Used other providers who I found better, but don't bother using agents any more. Waste of money.

From a landlords perspective who would you recommend as i want to rent out after christmas,you can pm me if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I lived in Waterford a few years ago and rented through book a room- they were a nightmare from start to finish- I found them utterly incompetent.

they gave me keys to the property before the previous tenant had moved out

they put the wrong recipient details on the standing order form and then sent me a snotty letter when the rent went to that account

they didn't sort out repairs efficiently or properly , despite supposedly having a dedicated maintenance man for the complex

that same maintenance man left a tin of paint at my door and told me to paint over the blackened ceiling caused by faulty radiators

they "lost" the report of the inspection done the day I moved out and it took them weeks do another one

it took weeks and many phonecalls to get my deposit back

funnily enough, whenever I rang re the deposit, the person dealing with it was always "out of the office" and never phoned back

I was so fed up that one day I rang and asked to speak to the manager, I was put through to her phone , left a polite message asking her to phone me back and she never did.

dealing with them was a horrendous experience, I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Never a bad idea to ask the landlord if they're a member of the PRTB. Most landlords are more keen to find you than you are to find them so make sure that you ask them questions rather than seeing it as if they're doing you a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I had pretty much the same experience about 5 years ago, tbh.
    sam34 wrote: »
    I lived in Waterford a few years ago and rented through book a room- they were a nightmare from start to finish- I found them utterly incompetent.

The gave the keys to the new tennent of my flat a week before I moved out.

they "lost" the report of the inspection done the day I moved out and it took them weeks do another one

The also lost the sheet I signed when I moved in detailing the little issues that were there before I moved in. If I hadnt taken photos and filled int eh inventry in the rrent book I would have lost my deposit.

it took weeks and many phonecalls to get my deposit back

Same, in the end, i got a loan for the new place we rented and as i had the landlord's number I called him, he said he had returned the deposit to Book a Room 2 months ago. It was months later when I finally got it.

In the end I went to their office one morning and refused to leave, the funny thing was the seemed used to this happening.

dealing with them was a horrendous experience, I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.

Disaster, I would say go direct to the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Without going into details, because, no joke, this sh!t can actually make you cry with frustration when you're in the middle of it:

BookARoom - full of apologies and sweet talk, gets fúck all done until a solicitors letter goes in their door.

Hutchinsons - blunt, curt and all business to talk to, but they get the job done. The trick is to be just as thorough and pedantic as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Whether they are a waste of money or not book a room have improved an awful lot in recent times. I'm on my 5th place with them now and very happy with the service.

The fact that your even on here saying that is a good warning to anyone not to go near them. Absolute gangsters of the highest order.

Dont expect a deposit back as this comes out of there profits. They get theyre handyman to do the work then pocket the difference. Just so you know.

Amazingly the owner is in the paper every other week used as an example of a good Waterford entrepeneur. Says a lot for how bad the city is really.

Media999 wrote: »
    The fact that your even on here saying that is a good warning to anyone not to go near them. Absolute gangsters of the highest order.

Dont expect a deposit back as this comes out of there profits. They get theyre handyman to do the work then pocket the difference. Just so you know.

Amazingly the owner is in the paper every other week used as an example of a good Waterford entrepeneur. Says a lot for how bad the city is really.

How is it a warning? I moved about a month ago, viewed places with Hutchinson's and Book A Room, the woman that showed me the property with Hutchinson's didn't have a clue.

I have just said I have always got my deposit back when it was due and recently even before it was, so why say dont expect to get your deposit back?!

I know all about property management so don't need to be told about it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Used Castle Estates many years ago, awful crowd to deal with completely clueless and didn't deal with any of the complaints incl not ever bothering to respond to a written complaint sent via registered mail.

Only ever dealt with landlords after that, ok same things can still go wrong but why add another needless layer of potential incompetence?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SIG

Anyone know anything about E.P. Property letting agent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

Any landlord thing of cutting out the letting agent should definitely hav a look at irishlandlord.com. They have lots of templates and advice. topfloor also hav a free lease you can download.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ILoveShoez

I will be moving from my place the middle of January and would love to cut out the letting agencies but there is few and far between that are JUST landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

ILoveShoez wrote: »
    I will be moving from my place the middle of January and would love to cut out the letting agencies but there is few and far between that are JUST landlords.

My inlaws are just putting the finishing touches to their house and will be advertising it for rent in Jan. Its a bungalow in Ballygunner on its own site. Im trying to convince them to rent it out themselves. They've done a great job renovating.

thomas01 wrote: »
    My inlaws are just putting the finishing touches to their house and will be advertising it for rent in Jan. Its a bungalow in Ballygunner on its own site. Im trying to convince them to rent it out themselves. They've done a great job renovating.

Thanks for that but we need the City ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 denis behan city legend

Thankfully I bought 8 years ago. I moved here in 2002 from time spent in Dublin and Brussels. Sweet God, in terms of letting agents, I've never come across a more incompetent, unprofessional and rude bunch of people in my life.

One company would make appointments and turn up 20-30 minutes late and offer no apology and then try to sell you some form of low rent dump around Scotch Key. I'll happily name them if you like.

Another, when I tried to rent a house from them, even though I explained I wanted to be close to where I worked in the city, asked me would I rent in Dungarvan? Thick doesn't begin to describe it.

Another fella, who I think was an agent in Dungarvan, showed me a place in Ferrybank. He had the new suit on. So new, he hadn't cut the label off the sleeve.

I ended up in 2 rentals which were done directly with landlords. The second one especially was a great success. The landlord was a gent, really great guy and a pleasure to deal with.

Even then, for the second place, where I stayed for a year, the main complex was managed by Hutchinsons. The amount of rows that I had. I'm a placid, chilled out person, a lover not a fighter. They wouldn't last 5 minutes outside of Waterford.

As for the letting agents in this town? Idiots, stay away from them. Also, the sight of one of them being cited as an example of local business savvy and entrepreneurship?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

If you are moving in Waterford, warning to people, do not move into John Collyn House. It is treacherous.

Dodgy electrics, damp, and the landlord refused to fix any of it. Had to leave without a deposit, worst experience I have ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

i use to rent with hutchinsons and had the same problem dealing with them! tryin to get the house done up and got nothing back from them! they are the most rudest people in there! i will never go there and im warning other people not to go to them! Lesley Warren is the main man i think!! hes very good !!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tobey

book a room are twats, three bed appartment in railway square one mate wanted to get place with girlfriend after they got engaged and moved out and another mate moved in and told book a room and they said the contract was now void and we would have to sign another years lease, told em to stuff it trying to take the hard line and refused, stayed the year from the origional date still havnt seen deposit evan after 2 years a million and three phone calls letter and emails

Hi!

I would be interested to hear from people that are or have lived in Sherlock Walk or Grattan Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

ILoveShoez wrote: »
    Hi!

I would be interested to hear from people that are or have lived in Sherlock Walk or Grattan Quay.

Grattan Quay seems quiet enough, I am living on Mary St. and rarely have any trouble at all. Apartment wise, Grattan Quay seems to have lovely apts.

• Advertisement

Thanks!

We are in the process of moving to Sherlock Walk - fab area!

Advertisement