Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting Agent

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

well did u make the right decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kitty_Ears

I'm with Hutchingsons now and find them so snotty and rude.

however, I'd find them a million times better than whitford letting agency.
    Monthly inspecions, Snotty remarks, house manky when we moved in to it and then a weeks in it started going mouldy and everyone in the house started getting sick. you could see spors falling off the bathroom celing. Rotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

Kitty_Ears wrote: »
    I'm with Hutchingsons now and find them so snotty and rude.

however, I'd find them a million times better than whitford letting agency.
    Monthly inspecions, Snotty remarks, house manky when we moved in to it and then a weeks in it started going mouldy and everyone in the house started getting sick. you could see spors falling off the bathroom celing. Rotten.

oh good god hutchingsons!! i know who u are talking very snotty !! u should have went for barry murphy sound as a pound!! the house i moved out of was complety rotten aswell dampness was kicking in and hutchinsons done the house inspection on the last day and said it also that the house needs to be updated badly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

I've used Book A Room for the last two years as a landlady and found them absolutely great. I had been badly stung by my previous tenants whom I had dealt with directly and being new to the whole thing, I got left with high outstanding bills and a house that even Kim and Aggie would have been shocked at! Book A Room managed everything, I almost forgot I had the house save for the rent going into my account and any issues with the house were dealt with quickly. Now in fairness my tenant didn't think as much as I did of them, I had a problem with cooker and their guy wired it wrong, he also pulled switch off wall and didn't repair plaster. Regarding the deposit, that was given to me, they didn't hold onto it so I don't know what people are saying about not getting deposits back, I lodged my tenants one directly into her account once I had viewed the property and was happy with it. Im surprised to see so many tenants with problems with them, especially as my place is empty again so I'll be going back to them to find me someone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 katcha

Book a room are a disaster how ey are still operating is beyond me, lovely till you try get your deposit back! Thank god for PRTB, they actually try to pocket your deposit so watch it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

yoyo83 wrote: »
    oh good god hutchingsons!! i know who u are talking very snotty !!

Ah yes, yer wan with the sandy vagina.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kitty_Ears

Ah yes, yer wan with the sandy vagina.

They both have sandy gowls on em. I won't post the ****e they get up to, don't wanna set myself up for further torture off them.

still though, I'd always go with them over Whitford.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

I've rented with Bookaroom for about 5 of the last 7 years, I did end up with 1 incident that I was not happy with and that was their "Baby clean" charge when you leave a property. It was €150... The price itself was not a problem, but the fact that I had spent 2 days cleaning the place to perfection was rather annoying.

Thankfully, that policy is gone now and once a place is clean, its clean ^^

I've always found Bookaroom to be easy to deal with, I regularly email or call them anytime something is wrong with the place and its sorted the following day if not shortly after the call.

I happened to be in an apartment that was effected by water damage due to the apartment above us having a fire that needed to be put out by the fire brigade and they put us up in a very close apartment and reduced the rent significantly while the renovation work was being carried out.

I honestly have no problem in recommending them to anyone not looking to party like some of the students that have given certain areas a bad name. They are pretty strict about that kinda behaviour, which is something that I like about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭daisy1984

SIG wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about E.P. Property letting agent ?

Ive been with few letting agencys over the years, hutchinsons and book a room are the worst in town learned the hard way when I moved from Wexford.

Few years back I was refered by Waterford City County Council to EP Property, Denise and John were fantastic, told them what I wanted, costs etc and they never let me down. Id recommend them to anybody and nearly all my friends are with them now and they have no bother at all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Book A Room = clueless

Castle Estates = thick

Hutchinsons = ignorant

EP Property = duh

Heffernans (Andrea in particular) = BEST EVER. No lie

(all above 'in my opinion' of course)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

mozattack wrote: »
    Book A Room = clueless

Castle Estates = thick

Hutchinsons = ignorant

EP Property = duh

(all above 'in my opinion' of course)

that whiney voice.fcukin hell.like chalk on a board.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Having recently moved house, we dealt with most of the agencies in town while looking around for some place.

We went to look at one house with Hutchinsons. It was a nice enough place but the just the attitude of the person showing us the house was enough put us off. Not just that house but any house advertised by them.

anplaya wrote: »
    that whiney voice.fcukin hell.like chalk on a board.:pac:

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MaltaFan

mozattack wrote: »

She's FANTASTIC! No crap with Andrea, straight talking and hard worker!!!

MaltaFan wrote: »
    She's FANTASTIC! No crap with Andrea, straight talking and hard worker!!!

I agree to be honest, I bought our house from her and she let my other place for 4 years. Absolutely brilliant service, if only others were as good. Just think credit should be given where due.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Jilly0212

I have to agree with a few people on here. Have gotten a taste of dealing with bookaroom only today and they are the most unprofessional, unreliable, rude and ignorant company i have ever come across in my entire life. I would highly recommend you stay away from them

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭caroline456

well, when I see the property being advertised through book a room I forget it immediately.

You may be surprised but I find Hutchinsons very good. They were very rude but we've never had any problems to get our deposit back and if there was any problem with the property, they fixed it no problem. I spoke to the girl few days ago and she was very nice and had no problem to sort out the things that we didn't like.

I'm very dissapointed with Barry Murphy. Would have never expected him being as unprofessional as he was when it came to letting the house that we liked.

Well i would seriously ask people to think before even attempting to contact book a room. It surprises me that in this day and age and with how bad things are that companies are not bending over backwards to help people. Do they not realise that one of the most powerful methods of advertising is by word of mouth and by recommendations. I would certainly hope that anybody reading all the bad comments here about book a room will stear well clear of them.

echosound wrote: »
    Another vote for going directly to a landlord, and cutting out the agents.

Private landlords are the way to go IME. Never had any issue with return of deposits, and prompt maintenance of property - that's been my experience in approx 15 years of renting: 11 different properties; 4 of said properties were via agencies and the rest private. Would avoid agents if at all possible, and, with daft.ie and the local papers, it's very easy to do so.

You'll also have the bonus of being able to sound out a potential landlord straight away and get a feeling if they are decent or chancers. Have had some lucky escapes over the years when I met the landlord at a viewing and realised they were the type that would not give a fig about upkeep or habitable standards.

But how you are supposed to contact the landlord if most properties are advertised through estate agents?

Jilly0212 wrote: »
    Well i would seriously ask people to think before even attempting to contact book a room. It surprises me that in this day and age and with how bad things are that companies are not bending over backwards to help people. Do they not realise that one of the most powerful methods of advertising is by word of mouth and by recommendations. I would certainly hope that anybody reading all the bad comments here about book a room will stear well clear of them.

That's what surprises me too. The word of mouth has got huge power and yet there are still so many properties being advertised through book a room and there are new ads from them every day!

• Advertisement

Jilly0212 wrote: »

That's what surprises me too. The word of mouth has got huge power and yet there are still so many properties being advertised through book a room and there are new ads from them every day!

Well I put my house back with them this wk for rent, I've dealt with them since 2009 without a problem and their staff are lovely. My tenants have also been happy with them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think Book A Room are fine. As I said in my previous post, I got my tenants deposit to hold onto, they didn't keep it as "profit" which was stupidly suggested by one poster so if there are difficulties in getting deposits back, it's probably because the landlord hasn't got it!!

Id like to know specifically what everyone's problem is with them, Id be genuinely interested to hear actual stories from tenants, everyone is just saying oh stay away from them, but why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

galdon wrote: »
    I've been living in Waterford for a while now, and have always dealt Hutchinsons as a letting agent, however I am becoming increasingly annoyed at their manner in carrying out business, and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on the other agents around the area i.e. Book-a-Room.

I have spoken to a few other people who also found certain members of the staff to be rude and unprofessional in dealings they've had with them, so I don't think it is an issue from my side. I would therefore be grateful if someone could suggest an agent who may be easier to deal with?!

Its not you, I had a nightmare with them, I made them an offer on a house for rent that had been on the market for a very long time and they werent impressed at all, I offered say 800 instead of the 900 they wanted, and as they were our only contact at the time we kept going back to see a member of staff we were told we would see, driving from Kilkenny for one week with a small child to see them as we wanted this particular house, everyday it was oh shes just gone out you can wait or we will call you, ended up going somewhere else, Later we came to know the people who owned the bungalow and we told them that we had made an offer to rent the house and it was refused and the owners were furious, these people thought they were like gods when times were good the story as i put it doesnt do it justice but one member in staff was particular cruel and heartless towards a family with children who were effectively homeless at the time. I think the house is still for rent/sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Id like to know specifically what everyone's problem is with them, Id be genuinely interested to hear actual stories from tenants, everyone is just saying oh stay away from them, but why?

have a read of my post on the first page of this thread, that should give you a clear answer as to why I dont recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Someone I know dealt with them for years and they had terrible experiences with them. When they were moving out a woman from book a room told them they had to pay because it was going to cost them a certain amount of money to get cleaners in eventhough they left the house cleaner than when they got it. Your wan then told them that they had to pay because the fridge was filthy and there was rotten food in it. They asked your wan to show them this and she showed them all the rotten food. Luckily, they had taken a photograph of the empty clean fridge the day before and showed it to your wan and told her to f*** off.

So how exactly you cut off the estate agents???

sam34 wrote: »

have a read of my post on the first page of this thread, that should give you a clear answer as to why I dont recommend them.

Yes it does in fairness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

So how exactly you cut off the estate agents???

seeing as ive just put up a big rant about letting agents id be interested to know too..everything on daft has a letting agent logo on it

I dealt with them both over the phone and over email and they were extremely rude to me through both means of communication. Several people on here have given examples of their bad experience with them. Their response to my email was one of the most unprofessional responses i have every seen in my entire life. Your right we are entitled to our opinion but we can also share our experiences to help other decide on who they do business with. Everybody is entitled to their own choice also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

snuggles09 wrote: »
    seeing as ive just put up a big rant about letting agents id be interested to know too..everything on daft has a letting agent logo on it

The Munster advertises house/flats and they are rarely estate agents. Always good to view with the landlord. You get feel for someone very quickly so If something doesn't feel right don't take it.

I'll echo the general thoughts on book a room. Torture to get your deposit back and so rude and unprofessional that it verges on something that you might see in a sketch show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Its not you, I had a nightmare with them, I made them an offer on a house for rent that had been on the market for a very long time and they werent impressed at all, I offered say 800 instead of the 900 they wanted, and as they were our only contact at the time we kept going back to see a member of staff we were told we would see, driving from Kilkenny for one week with a small child to see them as we wanted this particular house, everyday it was oh shes just gone out you can wait or we will call you, ended up going somewhere else, Later we came to know the people who owned the bungalow and we told them that we had made an offer to rent the house and it was refused and the owners were furious, these people thought they were like gods when times were good the story as i put it doesnt do it justice but one member in staff was particular cruel and heartless towards a family with children who were effectively homeless at the time. I think the house is still for rent/sale

I never put down the name of the place i was of course refereing to HUTCHINSONS ESTATES! AUWFUL EXPERIENCE!

Advertisement