Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postage Options for Shipping Outside of Ireland

Options
  • 25-11-2011 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I'm wondering if you have any advice or suggestions. I want to ship small packets to the UK but I'm finding the postal services I've looked at so far to be really expensive in relation to the value of the items.

The packages are typically small, they'd usually fit inside a jiffy bag. We're not talking about anything big or heavy, old MP3 cases, camcorder batteries etc. Typically they'd weigh in at less than 500g. Value wise they'd sell for maybe €1-2.
    The problem that I'm having however is post- small packages from An Post cost about €12, Nightline about the same, CityPost and others look for €16. Postal costs like this make it very hard to actually sell these items to the UK market.

Is there any service out there that has cheap rates for small light packages?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

It probably will not solve the problem for you , but I heard of some businesses in border counties in Ireland are using the post offices in N. Ireland for their UK and overseas posting. Its much cheaper, but unless you know someone commuting there ( who can post for you ) or live very close to the border its probably not worth while. With vat going up here soon, it would probably pay you to relocate to N. Ireland if your volume to the UK / further afield is big enough.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

When postage is 600% the value of the item, to me the deal is a non runner. Even if you drop the shipping price by half, it still wont be viable.

Advertisement