Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Picking out heifers

• 25-11-2011 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

What sets a weanling heifer suitable for breeding apart from a good heifer to fatten?

If your a suckler man and rearing your own replacements, your most likely basing alot of your decisions on suitable heifers tp keep on based on the mothers track record and indeed further back the lineage.

But if your heading out to the mart you haven't any of this to go on.

So my question is.... what makes a suitable breeding heifer and what would you be looking for in a heifer to bring to beef?

Let the discussion begin!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

For me, it would be in the following order;
    1. Docility
    2. Hips
    3. Milk
    4. Frame
    5. Weight for age
    6. Muscle
    Docility - I go into the pens and get a good feel for how quiet they are.
    Hips - need to be big and roomy, with square, box shape
    Milk - Hard to tell, but usually black colour for Friesan or AA. Also white forhead or white udder is a good sign.
    Frame - I like the idea of the cow having the frame and the bull adding the muscle.
    Weight for age - A heavy weanling indicates either good genes and / or milk in the mother.
    Muscle - Don't mind a lot of muscle as long it is not restrictive around the hips. I have a few Lims that are muscly, yet calve no bother.

My twopence anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

A lot covered in the above list!
    I'm outta practice buying heifers for the bull, we tend to breed them. I do however like a heifer to have body to herself, length, and a warmness to her. Some heifers can be hard looking. Bone I can take or leave, I've seen very good cows with light enough bone, suppose it depends on breed.
    If possible I like to know the seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Bizzum wrote: »
    I've seen very good cows with light enough bone,

Blondes spring to mind eh Bizzum :D

also remember folks there was two parts to my OP. Don't just concentrate on picking out breeding heifers.

What makes a good heifer to bring to beef?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Lenght depth and shape, colouring is a personal thing but i try to incorporate it. sucklers will be there for a while so they should be good.
    Beef heifers the choice is mainly down to the price, anything can be fattened (or relatively) depends on your system.

Advertisement