Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xlsx files on Libre Office Calc

Options
  • 25-11-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi Hoping someone can advise, I am at my wits end. The accounts package I bought switched to using xlsx files and I only have Open Office which can open these files but not save to them in the xlsx format. The spreadsheets have multiple formulas linking to other spreadsheets in the same folder so if I try to change the files the xls or odf the formulas (formulae?) don't work. I searched this forum and came across Libre Office which I had never heard of before and am hoping it could save the day, but it is a bit vague about whether files can be saved in the xlsx format
    You can also open Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, and can also save your work in Excel format for sending to people still locked into Microsoft products. If you only need to make your data readable, but on a wide range of devices and platforms, you can export to Portable Document Format (.pdf). Calc can read .xlsx files created with Microsoft Office 2007 for Windows or Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac OS X.
    Am hoping someone here can advise as otherwise I will have to go to PC world and buy Microsoft Office as I am working against a deadline :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Libre Office will save .xlsx files.

It objects slightly asking you if you'd rather save it as ODF but just click on the "Keep Current Format" button.

That darn prompt stops me everytime i'm saving as alternate formats and makes me think about what i'm doing. Maybe from the perspective of the open world that is what it is intended to do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could try this - you'd need to verify it's the right file type, but you can always save as

tools
    options
    load/save
    general

document type spreadsheet
    always save as microsoft excel 2007 xml

Advertisement