Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Ireland descend into anarchy

• 25-11-2011 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Will it happen ?House hold tax ,septic tank registration,water charges,cuts in benefits, all on the way.Not to mention mortgage arrears .While the fat cats lap it up ,ordinary joe soap continues to struggle and struggle.What if a protest (like what happened in greece) occured,or mass demonstrations outside every T.D and senators home and every crooked ex T.D who is getting a way over the top pension.Would the gardai be able to handle it?Will the baillifs/sheriff who are going to be calling on people who cant pay any more taxes /charges have a conscience and refuse to enter properties to take belongings.:confused:just a thought

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

No.

Sure, it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Most people could not survive an anarchist state, so nope.

Better to be rode in the ass than left for dead OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

scatter wrote: »
    Will it happen ?House hold tax ,septic tank registration,water charges,cuts in benefits, all on the way.Not to mention mortgage arrears .While the fat cats lap it up ,ordinary joe soap continues to struggle and struggle.What if a protest (like what happened in greece) occured,or mass demonstrations outside every T.D and senators home and every crooked ex T.D who is getting a way over the top pension.Would the gardai be able to handle it?Will the baillifs/sheriff who are going to be calling on people who cant pay any more taxes /charges have a conscience and refuse to enter properties to take belongings.:confused:just a thought

Already grammar is falling apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Already grammar is falling apart.
    To the Dept. of Education! Follow me!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Nothing will happen because no one cares enough to do something in a non-passive way about it, they'll complain on the internet, amongst friends etc but nothing will come of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

There's a hell of a lot of apathy to descend through before civil disobedience kicks in, never mind anarchy OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Anarchy? Sure I'll do that tomorrah. What time? Ah, no havin' me rellies over that day. What about the week after?

Hopefully a communist leader rises to power in the country, someone like Niall Quinn. Kicks out all foreign business & causes civil unrest. Niall then makes himself a communist dictator with a strangle hold over the whole country. Then to get our own back on those pesky Brits he gets some of the Taliban to install missile sites all over the island. We'd then be blocked out by the rest of the world in regards to trade and anything else for years making ourselves totally self sufficient. Maybe then we might get a half decent health service!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Septic tank registration??? You know lots of people agree with things to stop pollution. Water charges is another one people believe in as so many people are so wastefull.

Just because the government bring in something doesn't mean it is wrong . There are a lot of benifits that should be cut too. The biggest problem with the government is not bringing in unpopular decisions that is how we ended up with so many issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Joe will make ears bleed, sure didint he get the head shops closed. What can possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Huzzah! I've no pitchforks or torches, will an umbrella and maglite do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

If it was to happen it would take another few years I think,
    'world, mess with me once and you'll probably get away with it, mess with me again and chances are that you'll still get away with it, but mess with me numerous times over a concerted period of time and still think you can get away with it, well your probably wrong'.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ascend not descend into anarchy

Hopefully a communist leader rises to power in the country, someone like Niall Quinn. Kicks out all foreign business & causes civil unrest. Niall then makes himself a communist dictator with a strangle hold over the whole country. Then to get our own back on those pesky Brits he gets some of the Taliban to install missile sites all over the island. We'd then be blocked out by the rest of the world in regards to trade and anything else for years making ourselves totally self sufficient. Maybe then we might get a half decent health service!!!!!
    Unfortunately, Niall Quinn is a capitalist pigdog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Anarchy:

a theory that regards the absence of all direct or coercive government as a political ideal and that proposes the cooperative and voluntary association of individuals and groups as the principal mode of organized society.

Sounds great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Huzzah! I've no pitchforks or torches, will an umbrella and maglite do?

Bring that knife and your green hat.

To the quad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

KaG wrote: »

Niall Quinn?A stinking,no-good commie red?I knew it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

We're fairlypassive as a nation but the government seem not to realise just how much some are suffering and how badly done by they feel when they see the treatment the banks etc are getting away with, violent protests can't be far off.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I like to believe that the Irish in general aren't dumb enough to start rioting and ruining our own country. It'll achieve nothing and cost us plenty, as has been shown the couple of times before when yobs were let out of their cages.

If people feel the need to get out onto the streets, then join one of the Occupy protests and be ignored en masse. Or actively try and change the country. Get people informed. Come up with solutions, instead of complaining at those put forward by others. Try and run for office. Just don't smash sh*t up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Anarchy:

a theory that regards the absence of all direct or coercive government as a political ideal and that proposes the cooperative and voluntary association of individuals and groups as the principal mode of organized society.

Sounds great.

The older I get the better anarchy sounds.
    It's a pity no one seems to know how we'd get there though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

Just because the government bring in something doesn't mean it is wrong .
    what do you mean? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

El Weirdo wrote: »

Yay, we'll lurn em gud, I'll bring me brick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

No. Most people are more worried about who will win the X factor.

humanji wrote: »
    I like to believe that the Irish in general aren't dumb enough to start rioting and ruining our own country. It'll achieve nothing and cost us plenty, as has been shown the couple of times before when yobs were let out of their cages.

If people feel the need to get out onto the streets, then join one of the Occupy protests and be ignored en masse. Or actively try and change the country. Get people informed. Come up with solutions, instead of complaining at those put forward by others. Try and run for office. Just don't smash sh*t up.

Yeah all that protesting in Greece got them nowhere right.

Yeah all that protesting in Greece got them nowhere right.
    It actually didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

i don't think it will happen, we are too passive. maybe occupy dame street, the odd protest like the students one last week is about as far as we go. being a public sector worker, i think we'll probably be the next out to protest. the upcoming budget however may tip a lot of people over the edge, so it may be a case of watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

We're in the Euros next summer.

We gotta hold it together until then at least.

Since Robbie Keane was a boy it was always his dream to get to the Euros at the height of a recession, miss a sitter in the final and inadvertantly cause the country to collapse into chaos, bloodshed and civil war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

GO BACK TO SLEEP AMER..err IRELAND...!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Bards

scatter wrote: »

This budget could well be the tipping point. We were promised a completely different agenda to what is now being delivered.

Everybody should refuse to pay TV Licenses, Property Tax, and all other forms of voluntary taxes until the elite start living like the rest of us. I.E Pay (Including pension entitlements) Benchmarked against their peers in Europe and not being able to draw down their pension until they reach "Retirement age"

humanji wrote: »
    It actually didn't.
    Emm no it actually did.

Bards wrote: »
    This budget could well be the tipping point. We were promised a completely different agenda to what is now being delivered.

Everybody should refuse to pay TV Licenses, Property Tax, and all other forms of voluntary taxes until the elite start living like the rest of us. I.E Pay (Including pension entitlements) Benchmarked against their peers in Europe and not being able to draw down their pension until they reach "Retirement age"

There will be no "tipping point" i'm afraid imo. Just a long slow decent into a changed society none of us could of dreamt of. Irish people don't do protest well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Better to be rode in the ass than left for dead OP.

can't they do both? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Septic tank registration??? You know lots of people agree with things to stop pollution. Water charges is another one people believe in as so many people are so wastefull.

Just because the government bring in something doesn't mean it is wrong . There are a lot of benifits that should be cut too. The biggest problem with the government is not bringing in unpopular decisions that is how we ended up with so many issues.

Morning Enda.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    We're in the Euros next summer.

We gotta hold it together until then at least.

Since Robbie Keane was a boy it was always his dream to get to the Euros at the height of a recession, miss a sitter in the final and inadvertantly cause the country to collapse into chaos, bloodshed and civil war.

it will be the only euros we will be in by that stage.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Highly improbable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No talk of anarchy three years ago when the country was awash with non existent money. I'm not saying we're all to blame - that's obviously scapegoating bollocks by FF voters, but when most of us benefitted in some way up to three years ago, the payback now is we gotta suck it up somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Anyone for a can of Dutch Gold ?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I hope not but sometimes i think mass rioting and anarchy is the only thing that will stop the Government from cutting and slashing, they might then realise we have taken enough pain bailing out their buddies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

mattjack wrote: »
    Anyone for a can of Dutch Gold ?

few cans, be grand shure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

cosanostra wrote: »
    I hope not but sometimes i think mass rioting and anarchy is the only thing that will stop the Government from cutting and slashing, they might then realise we have taken enough pain bailing out their buddies

Ok so lets wreck the country and overthrow the government

It worked very well for the Egyptians earlier in the year

.......oh wait......

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

There is anarchy

Did you not see the 8 tents in Dame street

Emm no it actually did.

No, actually, it didn't. The people had 5 months of protesting and rioting against austerity measures and they still have them, with more on the way. The only thing that changed was that Papandreou was ousted from power. This was nothing to do with the riots. It was because he refused to act to try and stop the country going bankrupt. He lost almost all governmental support and had no choice but to step down.

The country is still in a mess. Rioting has achieved nothing there.

Advertisement