Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

I see Wexford Bus are soon introducing Leap for their services. I presume this will be both for town and Dublin Airport etc routes.
    "Wexford Bus is currently testing equipment before we roll out the Leap Card service on our fleet. Testing will continue for the next couple of weeks and by mid-March we hope to have all of our buses up and running as part of the Integrated Ticketing Scheme. Watch our from promotional fares for Leap Card users coming soon."

http://www.wexfordbus.ie/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

n97 mini wrote: »
    Is there an official policy line on what will happen to IE smart cards
    a) that have had a Leap card issued against them?
    b) in the long run now that Leap is the replacement?
    Can't speak for the IE cards but I issued one against my original LUAS card and both work fine.
    I would have issued against my Irish Rail card but the small fact of not being able to top up the damned thing at the station meant I didn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is there an official policy line on what will happen to IE smart cards
    a) that have had a Leap card issued against them?
    I'm not sure that is a major implication, however:
    I have a Leap card issued against an IE card but will continue to use the IE card (i.e. the wife can use it).
    Is she allowed go overdrawn?
    b) in the long run now that Leap is the replacement?
    I think the cards have a 5 year expiry time set on them (from issue date?).
    Jehuty42 wrote: »
    I have a Leap card issued against an IE smartcard since December. I've used the IE smartcard every day since with no problems, I can't be arsed going to a Luas stop nowhere near where I live or work to activate the damn thing.
    I'm not sure, but I think they are meant to be activated within a certain amount of time, possibly one month.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Went to Dublin Bus HQ as there were a few €1.90 charges. I had emailed a couple of weeks ago and was told going to the HQ was the thing to do.

Got there and they told me I needed a print off of the transactions as they could only view the last five. Annoying that they couldn't convey this in the emails back and forth between us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

What happened? Did you get everything back?

• Advertisement

I will do, I'll have to go in again now that I have printed it off.
    Thankfully I have reasons to go into the city as it's only about 60c owed, but I am damned if I am going to let them have it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Thankfully I have reasons to go into the city as it's only about 60c owed, but I am damned if I am going to let them have it. :p

Did they not have a PC they could let you use?

It's a bit shit that they told you to go away as they could only see the last 5 transactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Shouldn't they pay for your return journey into Headquarters for your refund as it is their mistakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Went to Dublin Bus HQ as there were a few €1.90 charges. I had emailed a couple of weeks ago and was told going to the HQ was the thing to do.

Got there and they told me I needed a print off of the transactions as they could only view the last five. Annoying that they couldn't convey this in the emails back and forth between us.

I think you are being over generous to DB in saying you had a few overcharges. I would call more than five a lot.

Did they seem in the least bit embarrassed or apologetic about the number of times you had been overcharged?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

What was the nature of the €1.90 overcharge,Rigger ?

This,I presume,is a stage based issue ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Shouldn't they pay for your return journey into Headquarters for your refund as it is their mistakes?

I can imagine their reaction to that, thankfully I don't have to go to town specifically to take care of it and if I did, it wouldn't make sense to as it's 60c owed.
    Did they not have a PC they could let you use?

It's a bit shit that they told you to go away as they could only see the last 5 transactions.

Yea it's pretty poor alright, I didn't ask about a p.c (nor could I see any at the customer service desk), I know that conversation would go nowhere.
    TaraBuses wrote:
    I think you are being over generous to DB in saying you had a few overcharges. I would call more than five a lot.

It's 3 overcharges in total across two cards, one of which is mine.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    What was the nature of the €1.90 overcharge,Rigger ?

€1.70 and €1.90 are leap fares, €1.90 was the the old 8-13 stage cash fare and it's the new 4-7 stage fare, but €1.90 is not a leapfare, €1.95 is...

I'd be less surprised if they made mistakes by charging me the €1.95 leap fare instead of the €1.70 fare, it would be harder to prove too as they'd have to take my word on it but I've only used the 1.70 fare thus far, I have a travel 90 card that I've used on the rare occasion that I need to go somewhere further away.

I always state '1.70' though even though the website requests you to state 'short, medium or long' but I am damned if I'm doing that.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    No, it was a software bug where if the driver pressed the button before the card was fully presented/read, the cash fare would be applied to the card. In about 100 transactions, I've had two €1.90s applied. The software patch appears to have been applied and last week when a driver pressed the button before I got to the ticket machine at all (but within about a second), the correct fare was applied.

While it shouldn't be a problem, for drivers make sure that the card is at the scanner before pressing the button.

Victor wrote: »
    No, it was a software bug where if the driver pressed the button before the card was fully presented/read, the cash fare would be applied to the card. In about 100 transactions, I've had two €1.90s applied. The software patch appears to have been applied and last week when a driver pressed the button before I got to the ticket machine at all (but within about a second), the correct fare was applied.

While it should be a problem, for drivers, make sure that the card is at the scanner before pressing the button.

Thats interesting Victor.

Good to know because Drivers have not been told anything of this,in fact we have been told very little of anything Leapcard wise.

I'm somewhat surprised that Leapcard themselves have not sought feedback from us at this point.

I would agree that passengers removing their Leapcard prematurely is a problem,as no warning appears on our screen leaving a grey-area in the drivers mind as to whether the transaction went through or not.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Don't know if this has been brought up before, but here's a scenario: In the event that Luas services are suddenly curtailed due to an incident or whatever, and Dublin Bus accept Luas tickets, what's the procedure for Leap card users who have already tagged on the Luas? When changing to the bus I presume this would result in them being charged an extra fare to that which they have already paid, while the cash fare-passengers travel for free by showing their tickets...

Niles wrote: »
    Don't know if this has been brought up before, but here's a scenario: In the event that Luas services are suddenly curtailed due to an incident or whatever, and Dublin Bus accept Luas tickets, what's the procedure for Leap card users who have already tagged on the Luas? When changing to the bus I presume this would result in them being charged an extra fare to that which they have already paid, while the cash fare-passengers travel for free by showing their tickets...

The current "Procedure" to cover Luas outages is that Veolia pay Dublin Bus a flat rate,on routes parallelling the effected line,a time based lump sum to cover the usage.

Essentially Veolia then become a DSP of sorts as there is no real inspection of Luas tickets other than a brief wave.

Mind you,a Luas failure on the Green Line between Harcourt and Milltown,for example,does not then give Free Bus Travel to a Luas passsenger from Connolly to Tallaght....:rolleyes:

To specifically address the OP's point....There is NO passenger activated "Procedure" in place to cope with the scenario described.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Is there any update on the Irish Rail TVM's? I heard it was going to be first quarter but it's looking pretty unlikely now? What is the continued hold up?

devnull wrote: »
    Is there any update on the Irish Rail TVM's? I heard it was going to be first quarter but it's looking pretty unlikely now? What is the continued hold up?

The "continued" hold-up is merely the inevitable result of the Integrated Ticketing Implementation Groups disasterous decision 12 years ago to allow operators introduce and develop their own Fare & Ticketing regimes.

Step 1 in this Integration process should have been a very clear unified system into which ALL Operators would have to buy.

What we have now is spaghetti .....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

I see that time travel is now a feature of Leap. My recent Luas and DART transactions are posted at 1 hour earlier than they actually happened. I might use this anomoly to go on a crime spree and then use Leap as my alibi, though posting it beforehand on boards might undermine my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

I bought my Leap card online, and paid for some credit.

Do I have to go to a Payzone outlet to collect the credit or will be be pre-loaded onto the card?

I bought my Leap card online, and paid for some credit.

Do I have to go to a Payzone outlet to collect the credit or will be be pre-loaded onto the card?
    If you put the credit on when you ordered the card it should be on the card when you get it but the next time you top up online you will have to nominate a shop or ticket machine or Irish Rail or Luas Validator to touch on and add the credit to the card(Cant be done on Dublin Buses).

• Advertisement

If you put the credit on when you ordered the card it should be on the card when you get it but the next time you top up online you will have to nominate a shop or ticket machine or Irish Rail or Luas Validator to touch on and add the credit to the card(Cant be done on Dublin Buses).

Is it just a case of swiping the IR Validator as if you're tagging on? - So in one movement you tag on and collect credit? - or is there a separate procedure?

Is it just a case of swiping the IR Validator as if you're tagging on? - So in one movement you tag on and collect credit? - or is there a separate procedure?
    yes afaik that is all that is required but you cant touch on with the Irish Rail machines just to get your credit as they will charge you for the journey but you can use any of the Luas ticket machines to load the credit onto your card without having to pay for a journey.

If it seems complicated it's because it is:)

Ok grand, thanks foggy_lad. I'll see how it goes.

Bit of a messy system!

Ok grand, thanks foggy_lad. I'll see how it goes.

Bit of a messy system!
    The leapcard website is desperate for basic information on things like how to top-up and how or where you can load credit on your card after topping up on-line. it seems it is buried in the depts of faq instead of being readily available when you click on "top up a leap card"

https://www.leapcard.ie/Home.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

I got my Leap Card in the post today and I am trying to register it online but this is what I get,

'The application experienced unexpected problems completing your request (Code E002). We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please try again later.'

Anyone else with this problem ?

Also the card I got doesn't have a Microchip, just a number on what seems to be a poor quality card. Is this right ?
    So how do the validator points read the card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Also the card I got doesn't have a Microchip, just a number on what seems to be a poor quality card. Is this right ? So how do the validator points read the card ?

It does - the chip is inside the card and communicates wirelessly with the readers.

With Luas and Irish Rail validators, it takes a fraction of a second longer when you are tagging-on top collect the top-up.

When collecting a top-up from Payzone, you can use any Payzone outlet - you don't need to nominate a specific one.
    yes afaik that is all that is required but you cant touch on with the Irish Rail machines just to get your credit as they will charge you for the journey but you can use any of the Luas ticket machines to load the credit onto your card without having to pay for a journey.
    When using a smart card with Irish Rail, you can cancel the trip in the first 5 minutes or so by tagging-off and exiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Victor wrote: »
    When using a smart card with Irish Rail, you can cancel the trip in the first 5 minutes or so.

How?

I got my Leap Card in the post today and I am trying to register it online but this is what I get,

'The application experienced unexpected problems completing your request (Code E002). We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please try again later.'

Anyone else with this problem ?

Yes. I get the same error when I try to register my card. :(

• Advertisement

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    How?

Just tag-off and walk out through the barrier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement