Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can someone let me know if I actually heard this or it's something I dreamt up? Are there plans for people with free public transport (OAPs) etc. to get free leap cards so it will be easier to track usage?
    That is a possibility. However, it would likely be on an anonymised basis like current Leap Cards. Currently, the transport operators can see the full details for a specific card (not user) on their own services, but only the operator and amount of the last 5 transactions. Leap can see the user details (if registered), operator, date/time and amount for all transactions (certainly the last 50) and separately, they get anonymised data from the operators on usage.

If the DSP card is to be used for 'tracking', it would likely be in the form of keeping a tally of what trips anonymised users are making and their cost. One example from the system in the North was that one user (with a disability pass) was using the same bus 10 times a day, which raised suspicions - on checking with the drivers on the route, they were able to say it was likely a particular guy with a part time job as a caretaker, who would be back and forth between home and work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Can someone let me know if I actually heard this or it's something I dreamt up? Are there plans for people with free public transport (OAPs) etc. to get free leap cards so it will be easier to track usage?

kaBny.png

An example of the Free Travel one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Stevek101 wrote: »
    kaBny.png

An example of the Free Travel one.

There is a shed load of stuff curently ongoing in relation to the use of Smart Card data.

One can be fairly certain that the DSP and it's many subsidiary agencies will have read and/or attended most of the seminars which produce the reading material such as this....

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/tcrp/tcrp_lrd_25.pdf

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Has anyone else noticed that the times on the leapcard history are behind by an hour?

Thought it was just IR, but its DB also, so is it a leap thing rather than IR or DB. Do they just forget about daylight savings, and will be correct at the end of october

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The inability to find out your credit easily (most shops aren't really going to be happy if you queue up, use quite a bit of their time, and buy nothing) has managed to bite me now - decided it wasn't worth risking whether I had credit on the card when I wanted to use a bus and had no coins. Put a tenner on. New balance ~€30. Oops.

Its extremely finicky to use the website on a mobile - particularly such things as having to select the only card on your account from a dropdown box.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Its extremely finicky to use the website on a mobile - particularly such things as having to select the only card on your account from a dropdown box.

+1

I hate it. You click my account, and it displays nothing but an image, leaving you to click on the tabs on the left. Then select from the drop down, and then have to 'print'! WTF were they thinking :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's like they never heard of usability.

Then again, boards just introduced a default skin which doesn't work if your screen or window is less than 1024 pixels wide :rolleyes:

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Davy wrote: »
    +1

I hate it. You click my account, and it displays nothing but an image, leaving you to click on the tabs on the left. Then select from the drop down, and then have to 'print'! WTF were they thinking :confused:

I have the feeling that any web designer worth his salt knows full well how to make things nice and user-friendly. As such, I have a sneaking suspicion that somebody in the Leap office directed whichever web designer they employed to design the site navigation system as he (Mr Leap card) saw fit. I may be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet that there was some type of "I know what's best" going on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Aard wrote: »
    I have the feeling that any web designer worth his salt knows full well how to make things nice and user-friendly. As such, I have a sneaking suspicion that somebody in the Leap office directed whichever web designer they employed to design the site navigation system as he (Mr Leap card) saw fit. I may be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet that there was some type of "I know what's best" going on.

Nah, it feels more like this was developed by some one who is a software engineer, but not a web developer and designer. Knows web technologies, but not really usability and design.

Very common amongst the contractor types government departments usually hire.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

+1

No need to 'print'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

I sent them an email back in April about the difficulty of using the website on a mobile, when you need it most to be quick and easy - they said an upgrade in May would have a button that would take you directly to history/credit when you logged in.

Has it transpired? Has it in my hole.

Victor wrote: »
    No need to 'print'.

I know that, i meant why doesn't it just say 'view' :p

Or better yet, not have a drop down option to select a card unless you have more than one card registered. Im sure most people only have the one in anycase.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

+1

The other day, my 10-minute snoop resulted in me getting three different confirmation emails, none of which I think were necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭wench

Jean wrote: »
    I sent them an email back in April about the difficulty of using the website on a mobile, when you need it most to be quick and easy - they said an upgrade in May would have a button that would take you directly to history/credit when you logged in.

Has it transpired? Has it in my hole.

It has been added in the last couple of weeks.
    On the right hand side, where you enter your login details, a 'view my history' link will appear under the logout button.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Yes you can uy two fares with the one leap card but only on Dublin Bus. you just use the leap card for yourself in the normal way but you need to go to the driver for the extra ticket, but you may be getting the leap fare off the driver anyway if it is not the maximum fare.

Yes Captain,you can pay for as many persons on your Leapcard as you like,as long as your credit covers it.

You could,if you were particularly entreprenurial,survey your fellow waiting passengers at the Stop,collect their Cash fares and then pay for them all on your Leapcard,pocketing the difference as commission for speeding up the dwell time.

Eg: if there were 5 people at the stop each wishing to make a €1.90 journey,you collect the 5 x €1.90 = €9.50,then you pay for 5 Leapcard equivalent fares,5 x €1.70 = €8.50.....It may not be Penny Apples,but times have changed and we have to adapt....;)

The minimally publicised multiple payment option remains for me,the second greatest benefit of the Leapcard,well I suppose there are only the two.....price being the other....:o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Yes Captain,you can pay for as many persons on your Leapcard as you like,as long as your credit covers it.

You could,if you were particularly entreprenurial,survey your fellow waiting passengers at the Stop,collect their Cash fares and then pay for them all on your Leapcard,pocketing the difference as commission for speeding up the dwell time.

Eg: if there were 5 people at the stop each wishing to make a €1.90 journey,you collect the 5 x €1.90 = €9.50,then you pay for 5 Leapcard equivalent fares,5 x €1.70 = €8.50.....It may not be Penny Apples,but times have changed and we have to adapt....;)

The minimally publicised multiple payment option remains for me,the second greatest benefit of the Leapcard,well I suppose there are only the two.....price being the other....:o

Can you get more than one extra ticket using the leap card? I thought it only covered one extra.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Can you get more than one extra ticket using the leap card? I thought it only covered one extra.

Yes Foggy,as many as you have credit to pay for.

I have been advocating a Leapcard to teachers with Class Outings.

The School should purchase the Leapcard then the students bring in the fare which could be added to the card in advance of their trip.

The students then board en-masse,chop-chop,and the teacher/aide then collects the extended ticket from the Busdriver.

IMO it should be perfectly feasible to market a specific Group Leapcard to encompass even further discounts to encourage this type of PT usage ......."coming soon" as you might say yourself Foggy ? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

AlekSmart wrote: »
    foggy_lad wrote: »

Yes Foggy,as many as you have credit to pay for.

I have been advocating a Leapcard to teachers with Class Outings.

The School should purchase the Leapcard then the students bring in the fare which could be added to the card in advance of their trip.

The students then board en-masse,chop-chop,and the teacher/aide then collects the extended ticket from the Busdriver.

IMO it should be perfectly feasible to market a specific Group Leapcard to encompass even further discounts to encourage this type of PT usage ......."coming soon" as you might say yourself Foggy ? ;)

Remind them it'll have to be on a childs card, otherwise they'll all be paying adult fares. Multi fares avail to be paid on the child card as well?

• Advertisement

Remind them it'll have to be on a childs card, otherwise they'll all be paying adult fares. Multi fares avail to be paid on the child card as well?

Not necessarily,I can issue the multiple Child Fare's out of the Adult Card stored value.

It would be worthwhile if I could issue a single ticket to cover the multiple children travelling,ie: 20 x 90c= €18. but I guess that functionality never occurred to anybody in the Integrated Ticketing Group....:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Didn't realised a child fare was avail, once an adult is being taken. Had thought it'd just be adult only.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭IrishCule

Anyone having problems registering a leap card the last few days?

I got the new student travel card which doubles as a leap card but everytime I try to register it online I get an error.

IrishCule wrote: »
    Anyone having problems registering a leap card the last few days?

I got the new student travel card which doubles as a leap card but everytime I try to register it online I get an error.

There are 2 different numbers attached to that card - the number of the Student Travel Card (top right) and its serial number as a leap card (bottom right, much longer). Have you entered the right one?

I've been using my new Student Travel Card as a leap card for the past few days and I've had no difficulties, except that the Veolia staff didn't seem to know what it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭otterj

Just looked at my history there. I get the same journey everyday going to work. When I tell the driver where I'm going to some days it costs me €1.25 others €1.70. This "stage" system is a joke. It should be €1.25 but some days I am being overcharged 45cent , depends on the driver, Is there anything I can do to get this back??

otterj wrote: »
    Just looked at my history there. I get the same journey everyday going to work. When I tell the driver where I'm going to some days it costs me €1.25 others €1.70. This "stage" system is a joke. It should be €1.25 but some days I am being overcharged 45cent , depends on the driver, Is there anything I can do to get this back??

Yeah, there seems to be a 50c difference between Stephen's Green and Earlsfort Terrace for me. I wouldn't say you can claim it back but maybe you should just state the fare rather than your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,493 ✭✭✭Tow

When I tell the driver where I'm going to some days it costs me €1.25 others €1.70.

That's the mistake you are making, just tell the driver the fare you require. Many drivers don't know the names of the places along their route, let alone the mysterious stages. Some don't even know their route....

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Tow wrote: »
    That's the mistake you are making, just tell the driver the fare you require. Many drivers don't know the names of the places along their route, let alone the mysterious stages. Some don't even know their route....

Be more specific on the destination no made up names or roads and try use the road you will actually be traveling on instead of roads far away from the actual route

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭otterj

Thanks so its €1.25 anymore

• Advertisement

Thanks so its €1.25 anymore

Otterj,what is your journey ?

Tow's response is quite accurate as a high percentage of Drivers entered long after the disappearance of Conductors.

Essentially if you get a Dublin Bus Driver who worked as a Conductor,then she/he WILL know the Stage System inside out,as when he/she was Conducting they were required to know it.

As it currently stands the company have,without stating any reason,removed all traces of stage identification from their Bus Stops.

This leaves both Staff and Customers without any definitive reasonable means of calculating a fare.

The innovation of Automatic Stage Updating,due shortly,will partially solve the problem,by providing uniformity,but it will still leave the basic issue of non-identification unsolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement