Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

gaius c wrote: »
    Set up auto top up over a week ago and used the bus today to find that there was no credit on the card.

What gives???

did the money come out of your account?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

did the money come out of your account?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Nope

It can be slow but it wont be on the card till after its taken from your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Set up auto top up over a week ago and used the bus today to find that there was no credit on the card.

What gives???
    Did you follow the instructions and get the card activated for auto top-up at a station / Payzone shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

Victor wrote: »
    Did you follow the instructions and get the card activated for auto top-up at a station / Payzone shop?

It can actually be activated on a bus as well. That's how mine was activated. The issue could be that you still need to enter the activation code from your bank account after it appears on your online bank statement. Their also has be credit on the card the first time you activate it.

• Advertisement

bg07 wrote: »
    It can actually be activated on a bus as well. That's how mine was activated. The issue could be that you still need to enter the activation code from your bank account after it appears on your online bank statement.
    That's done.
    Their also has be credit on the card the first time you activate it.
    Maybe this. Was minus €0.75 on it this evening when I tried to use it on the bus.

It's well over a week since I did the activation code thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

Maybe this. Was minus €0.75 on it this evening when I tried to use it on the bus.

It's well over a week since I did the activation code thingy.

That's likely the problem so. I don't think it will activate when it is in negative credit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Leap Cards sales over one million, says NTA.
    Of the million cards sold to date, some 600,000 are adult cards, a further 260,000 are student cards, 80,000 are child cards and 60,000 are visitor cards. In the Greater Dublin Area, some 60% of public transport journeys are now paid for using Leap; the scheme overall has reached monthly turnover of €15.4 million per month (March 2015) – or over €263 million since its launch.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/news/jumping-for-joy-leap-cards-passes-the-one-million-mark/

bg07 wrote: »
    That's likely the problem so. I don't think it will activate when it is in negative credit

Sound. Thanks for help guys. I'll update when the auto-top up works.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I've wish more of those 1 million users would use my DART station instead of clogging up the 2 turnstyles with their paper tickets that they left against their phone all day and won't work anymore, it's the same every day coming home. People will you just get a Leap card, it will be quicker for everyone and cheaper too.

Also anytime I see tickets being checked on the Luas it's about a 50/50 split with Leapcard users, there are still alot of people still paying over the odds from my experience and not bothering with Leap cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Interesting stats. The argument that public transport is too expensive kinda goes out the window when 40% of people are willing to pay the higher cash price over leap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sound. Thanks for help guys. I'll update when the auto-top up works.

With an operator, you have to be able to use the card to make a journey to activate it. Just top up by a small amount in payzone and your card should get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

So, to use auto top up, you need to go to a place where you manually pay anyway to top up?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

So, to use auto top up, you need to go to a place where you manually pay anyway to top up?

No not at all. It tops up automatically each time the balance on the card hits €10, once you have set it up.

However, when you are setting it up, you need to have a positive balance on the card. Once you set up auto top-up at www.leapcard.ie it will activate whenever you next use a bus, LUAS or train, and you need never visit a payzone agent again, unless you want to load a ticket product onto the card, such as a DB Rambler Ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'm sure this question has been answered but can't see it.

My annual Dublin Bus Taxsaver is up for renewal on the first of May. Before last year I had paper ticket and was then given new Leap with the pass loaded onto it. I've given my Leap number to get renewal. Do taxsaver.ie load it for me or do I have to top it up manually somehow.

I think the latter is what I've read here but not sure that makes sense.

Only time I've ever topped up is at Luas stop so not even sure of process. Yes, I'm dumb

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

For dublin bus you need to renew at payzone. from the last few days of the previous month. Only thing is payzone can not see that the new ticket has been put onto the card. So can be confusing being unsure if it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

For dublin bus you need to renew at payzone. from the last few days of the previous month. Only thing is payzone can not see that the new ticket has been put onto the card. So can be confusing being unsure if it worked.

I think this has improved recently.

I think that It could just be people who are on monthlies have gotten used to it. As they'd have been doing it for at least 15/16 months now. The odd annual user always seems to be unsure of what's going on when posting up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't find it, and couldn't find an answer on DB's website (surprise, surprise!)

If you have a 5-day rambler ticket loaded onto your Leap Card, can you use it on the Nitelink? I remember you couldn't use old paper Rambler cards on them but I'm not sure with Leap.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Acacia wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't find it, and couldn't find an answer on DB's website (surprise, surprise!)

If you have a 5-day rambler ticket loaded onto your Leap Card, can you use it on the Nitelink? I remember you couldn't use old paper Rambler cards on them but I'm not sure with Leap.

Thanks!

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/2-Journey-Daily-Weekly/

Bus Tickets

Rambler 5 Day Adult €29.50

Valid for unlimited travel for 5 non-consecutive days
    Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services including Airlink and Xpresso (excluding Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services)
    Only available on Leap Card

• Advertisement

You can use your Leap Card once there's credit. As far as I can recall, the Leap fare is 5euro. It's been a while since I used it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Is it possible to put your leap card in debit? As in the bus costs €2.60 and you have €2 on your card so your balance is -€0.60?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Is it possible to put your leap card in debit? As in the bus costs €2.60 and you have €2 on your card so your balance is -€0.60?

You can do that, you won't be able to use it when it's already in negative balance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Yes you can do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

My annual tax saver leap runs out at the end of the month. I won't use it much over the summer so I'm wondering:
    1) is it possible to top it up with credit, and keep using it as a regular leap card for a couple of months?
    2) when I get the next annual ticket in a few months' time, will I be have to go through the rigmarole of getting a new card (photograph etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

spuddy wrote: »
    My annual tax saver leap runs out at the end of the month. I won't use it much over the summer so I'm wondering:
    1) is it possible to top it up with credit, and keep using it as a regular leap card for a couple of months?
    2) when I get the next annual ticket in a few months' time, will I be have to go through the rigmarole of getting a new card (photograph etc)?

You can use it as a normal leap card when your annual expires. Afaik you keep the same card when you go to renew your annual. Maybe someone else can fill you in on that for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

1) yes, it'll function perfectly as a normal leap card
    2) your employer will send in request and your new taxsaver "ticket" will be available to be collected from PayZone shop, Irish Rail ticket machine, Luas ticket machine, etc. onto your current card.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Once again I need to post this, as people don't seem to grasp what LEAP is.

A LEAP card is precisely that, a LEAP card. It is not a ticket.

The card can be used in two modes, separately and concurrently:
    1) E-purse facility - this allows you to pay-as-you-go
    2) It can hold up to five different ticket products at any one time (e.g. rambler tickets, Bus Eireann zonal tickets, monthly/annual tickets).

The adult LEAP card does not expire at any time, while the ticket products obviously do. You can load ticket products at any time you wish, with up to five different tickets at any one time permitted.

The only restriction on cards is that monthly/annual tickets can only be loaded onto personalised LEAP cards, i.e. those with a photo.

So you can have money loaded on it at any time and use the epurse and at the same time have ticket products loaded onto it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

lxflyer wrote: »
    The card does not expire at any time
    Certain cards, e.g. school and student cards will expire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement