Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Victor wrote: »
    Certain cards, e.g. school and student cards will expire.

Fair enough but the adult ones don't (except if you don't use them for 24 months).

The point I'm trying to get across is that a LEAP card is just that - a card. It's not a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I was wondering, does anyone know if the whole leap card project is now complete? I looked on the website just now and I see that, besides Dublin, leap card has only been enabled for use in Galway and Cork. How come Limerick hasn't been included? And does anyone know if it can be used on Cork suburban IE services?

AngryLips wrote: »
    I was wondering, does anyone know if the whole leap card project is now complete? I looked on the website just now and I see that, besides Dublin, leap card has only been enabled for use in Galway and Cork. How come Limerick hasn't been included? And does anyone know if it can be used on Cork suburban IE services?

LEAP will be an ongoing project - other operators may yet join it.

It has still to be rolled out on BE in Waterford and for IE Cork suburban services pay-as-you-go. It has been rolled out on BE in Limerick.

I'd imagine that the long term intention is for all BE PSO services to be covered by LEAP. That's a long way down the road.

The current status on this thread (a sticky at the top of the page) lists the current position:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057381954

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It is in Limerick and Waterford alright. but they aren't really announcing the expansion as it happens. I think they want it to be more "organic" or something.

it can be used on local Irish Rail services in Cork. However it doesn't work the same way it does in Dublin. You need to purchase a ticket for it, that gets put onto the leap card.

It is in Limerick and Waterford alright. but they aren't really announcing the expansion as it happens. I think they want it to be more "organic" or something.

it can be used on local Irish Rail services in Cork. However it doesn't work the same way it does in Dublin. You need to purchase a ticket for it, that gets put onto the leap card.

It is up and running on BE in Limerick for some time and is fully announced and on the LEAP website.

It has not been rolled out on BE Waterford City services yet.

LEAP on IE Cork Suburban services is live for prepaid monthly/annual passes but is waiting on the equipment to go live for pay-as-you-go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭AngryLips

That's a weird solution, isn't it? Are there plans to introduce barriers with smart card readers? Also, do you get Leap90 discount on busses and trains outside Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Victor wrote: »
    Certain cards, e.g. school and student cards will expire.

I purchased a LEAP card in a newsagents, near the GPO, O'Connell Street, Dublin. I think, on the receipt, it has an expiry date of August 2016, or close to that. I'll try and dig it out.

I Don't know if the words expire/expiry date are used, maybe, 'valid until'.

Just mentioning it because I was surprised to see it myself.

AngryLips wrote: »
    That's a weird solution, isn't it? Are there plans to introduce barriers with smart card readers? Also, do you get Leap90 discount on busses and trains outside Dublin?

Read my post above.

They are waiting on the tag on/tag off equipment to be fitted.

As for the LEAP90 discount - no you can't. It is purely Dublin.

With respect, I've gone to the trouble (and it was a lot of hard work) to put together a full thread listing every possible functionality in the clearest manner, which I've linked to (and here it is again: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057381954) which will answer virtually all of these questions!!

If it's not listed there, it hasn't happened yet.

Amalgam wrote: »
    I purchased a LEAP card in a newsagents, near the GPO, O'Connell Street, Dublin. I think, on the receipt, it has an expiry date of August 2016, or close to that. I'll try and dig it out.

I Don't know if the words expire/expiry date are used, maybe, 'valid until'.

Just mentioning it because I was surprised to see it myself.

Did you load a rambler ticket onto the card or just top it up?

The expiry date does not refer to the card itself, but to what you loaded on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I can't remember to be honest. I think it was just a basic card purchase, but that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

lxflyer wrote: »
    Once again I need to post this, as people don't seem to grasp what LEAP is.

A LEAP card is precisely that, a LEAP card. It is not a ticket...

Poor choice of words on my part, I meant to say the tax saver "ticket". As I'm not renewing it immediately, I wanted to check if I'd be forced into getting a new personalised leap card when renewing later this year.

Seems like I shouldn't, but it looks like it's down to my employer to get it right.

spuddy wrote: »
    Poor choice of words on my part, I meant to say the tax saver "ticket". As I'm not renewing it immediately, I wanted to check if I'd be forced into getting a new personalised leap card when renewing later this year.

Seems like I shouldn't, but it looks like it's down to my employer to get it right.

They will have your card number - that's all they need to load the ticket onto the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

The expiry date does not refer to the card itself, but to what you loaded on it.
    I was just checking my balance and it reminded me of this thread. When I look online at my unpersonalised card, which I only put credit on - never tickets, it shows an expiry date:

Card Initialization Date 12/01/2012 12:00:00 AM
    Card Expiry Date 21/08/2020 12:00:00 AM

I'm almost certain this date has been the same since day 1, the card has gone into negative balance a couple of times so I don't think that expiry date refers to the credit, perhaps I'm mistaken though. I'll check again after the next time it goes into a negative balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I was given a new Leap card with a 5-day Rambler loaded on it last August 2014 but I never used it. I found it today and registered it to try see if there was any money on it or if it was still valid or what (haven't a clue how they work really). It shows the Rambler in the ticket History section but on the Card Overview section it says no tickets are on the card and balance is €0.

I take it the Rambler is expired? Is the Leap card itself still valid to put money on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭wench

The rambler should still be fine, the website just doesn't display info on tickets on cards properly

I was given a new Leap card with a 5-day Rambler loaded on it last August 2014 but I never used it. I found it today and registered it to try see if there was any money on it or if it was still valid or what (haven't a clue how they work really). It shows the Rambler in the ticket History section but on the Card Overview section it says no tickets are on the card and balance is €0.

I take it the Rambler is expired? Is the Leap card itself still valid to put money on?

The rambler should still be valid.

For whatever reason they don't appear as ticket products online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Thanks. I'll have the cash fare ready in case there's a problem. Do I use the reader on the right of the bus or go to the driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Thanks. I'll have the cash fare ready in case there's a problem. Do I use the reader on the right of the bus or go to the driver?
    Use the validator on the right for the rambler.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

To save any hassle throw a €5 on it.

If you use the validator at right of door before 8pm it will take a rambler day.

If no rambler it will take €2.60.

If you ever make a mistake by over charging you can ask the driver to anul transaction within 2 minutes and get them to select lower value fare to where your destination would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I really don't like how long it takes to use a leap card on bus services in Limerick. It actually is so much effort with some drivers. First you have to tell them that you want a single fare, then they have to fiddle around at the machine and then I have to wait to put my card on the reader. At this stage I'd say they hate to see me coming.

Why can't I just tag on like at a Luas/DART station or like buses in London. It's a flat fare at the end of the day! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,431 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Had the old 'paper' yearly travelwide bus ticket for 10 years, it's moved to Leap now obviously. Also always have €15-€20 on it for occasional Dart use.

Had no idea whatsoever that I needed to 'load' my yearly travelwide bus ticket, so for the first few days this month the bus travel was just eating my cash until I was stopped by being negative balance. I then found out I needed to load and have done so. Any comeback for the money I spent, the leap customer support effectively told me 'tough, your mistake, maybe ask DB'. Is it a pointless ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

I would have to agree with the "tough" response. It is spelt out on the service providers' websites, leaflets and any other means that they have to communicate with their customers that new tickets must be loaded on the card by one or a range of specific actions. When you were presenting your card to the validator on the bus after your annual ticket expired, the display would have shown that a cash fare was being deducted rather than the annual ticket's name. The information was there but on this occasion you went with an assumption that turned out to be incorrect so I would say the consequences are yours to deal with. Not the end of the world, you'll not make same mistake again!

Edit: That said, no harm in asking DB.

Had the old 'paper' yearly travelwide bus ticket for 10 years, it's moved to Leap now obviously. Also always have €15-€20 on it for occasional Dart use.

Had no idea whatsoever that I needed to 'load' my yearly travelwide bus ticket, so for the first few days this month the bus travel was just eating my cash until I was stopped by being negative balance. I then found out I needed to load and have done so. Any comeback for the money I spent, the leap customer support effectively told me 'tough, your mistake, maybe ask DB'. Is it a pointless ask?

As above you can try your luck with DB.

But I would say that I'm surprised that you, as a relatively frequent poster in C & T, didn't at any point read one of the numerous posts explaining that for money or tickets to be loaded onto a LEAP card, the card has to touch a live terminal, be that at a Payzone agent, LUAS stop or Irish Rail Short Hop Zone station. A Dublin Bus ticket machine is not a live terminal.

I've made that clear in the Guide to LEAP that I've posted in this board since I started it. All of the LEAP documentation makes that clear too.

There's no other way that the ticket/money can physically get onto the card.

But try your luck regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,431 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

But I would say that I'm surprised that you, as a relatively frequent poster in C & T, didn't at any point read one of the numerous posts explaining that for money or tickets to be loaded onto a LEAP card, the card has to touch a live terminal, be that at a Payzone agent, LUAS stop or Irish Rail Short Hop Zone station. A Dublin Bus ticket machine is not a live terminal.

Fair points really, I guess despite as you say being a 'reg' here I've never paid a huge amount of attention to the Leap threads because I felt they didn't apply to me. I'd a yearly travelwide so didn't need to concern myself with posts about what was happening with T90s, Ramblers, City Centre zone limitations etc. If I thought about it (and I didn't) I'd have assumed that €1280 tickets might be treated differently, automatically put onto the system by some magic in Leap HQ :)

I'll write to DB and see what they say, its not a big deal and I'll know next year anyway. Cheers to you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

Ive just been stung for at least 2 fares I didn't take thanks to Leap cards <48 hour policy on cancelling a lost card. Surely they could speed up this process??:confused:

I questioned this with Leap and was told that this was to avoid people losing cards, reporting them and then finding them soon afterwards.

Surely the inconvenience of ordering a new card is better than having some scrote run around the city for two days free of charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Anyone else find the so called student cap to be a total joke? €5 per day on Dublin bus versus €6.90 for adult. This would barely get you a return trip under the new fares. €20.00 vs €27.50 for the weekly cap and €30 vs €40 for combined Bus/Luas/Dart. Hardly savings when you consider most students are on a budget well under €100 per week versus an adults full time income. Especially with the student grants being slashed. A disproportionate amount of money is being spent on transport.

Daily cap should be reduced to €4, weekly to €15 and combined to €20.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well there's no student fares. But there were student tickets. Believe there is still a Rambler you can get. However it's only for Dublin Bus,

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

The student 5 day Rambler is €21.50 which is more than the cap for 7 days, someone explain that to me? The 30 day rambler is €107.50 but if you were to hit your cap for 4 weeks it would cost €80. So again no logic in that one.

• Advertisement

Taco Chips wrote: »
    The student 5 day Rambler is €21.50 which is more than the cap for 7 days, someone explain that to me? The 30 day rambler is €107.50 but if you were to hit your cap for 4 weeks it would cost €80. So again no logic in that one.

They want to reduce tickets/products to simplify the service avail. Thats why they've capping. you don't need to go buy another cap just before it runs out.

Also they are individual days, not consecutive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement