Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Tesco are refurbishing stores and installing contactless in Ireland right now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MJohnston wrote: »
    bk - any idea what platforms the Leap app will support? I'm guessing Android only because (a) iOS doesn't support NFC and (b) no Windows because developers are jerks? :D

As you say, this is Android only and only if your phone has the required NFC hardware (many don't).

Strictly speaking iPhones do have NFC hardware, as that is how Apple Pay works, however it is locked down by Apple and can only be used for Apple Pay, so this sort of NFC app wouldn't work on iPhone.

Hopefully the NTA will also add support for debit card contactless payments soon, like you have in London and Apple launches Apple Pay in Ireland. Thus you would be able to directly use your iPhone to pay for your ticket.

You are right, I doubt they will add Windows Mobile support.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Funnily enough windows phone were one of the first to leverage NFC in their Lumia range. You used to be able to tag the NFC points at bus stops. Signed up to the top up app after applying to test it. Works a charm so far. Will save a lot of hassle for me as in Galway ya can only top up at payzone points, not on the buses themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Just used the app for the first time. I'm impressed, really simple to use. Now they just need to get rid of verified by Visa and allow you to add tickets and it will be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Avada wrote: »
    Just used the app for the first time. I'm impressed, really simple to use. Now they just need to get rid of verified by Visa and allow you to add tickets and it will be perfect.

You can buy the tickets on the leap website and it will be available from 8am the following day to load on to your card. I did this with the app on Saturday evening.

I would like to be able to buy tickets through the app itself. Hopefully this can be achieved in a future update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Just tried it there too. Very slick. Nothing much else to add to what's been said. Except maybe even if you have no intention of using it for topups, it's worth having just for checking card balances.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

devnull wrote: »
    I have never, ever been asked for a PIN for a contactless payment.

Ditto - and I use it a lot. BOI, rarely over a tenner but would sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You can buy the tickets on the leap website and it will be available from 8am the following day to load on to your card. I did this with the app on Saturday evening.

I would like to be able to buy tickets through the app itself. Hopefully this can be achieved in a future update.

You would wonder why oh why it would not be available to load immediately, or at the very latest before the start of the public transport day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

How do you apply to test the app?

You would wonder why oh why it would not be available to load immediately, or at the very latest before the start of the public transport day.

It would be much better if it was available straight away. The system needs to be improved.

Beekay wrote:
    How do you apply to test the app?

I just emailed leap card and asked about the trial. Got a follow up email asking me to trial it.

• Advertisement

I bought a 7 day ticket online on Saturday. Loaded it onto my card through the nfc app on the Sunday. Worked perfectly on Monday and for my morning commute on Tuesday. However, on the way home it said there was no product found.

I called leap support and explained this to them. They said they could see the 7 day ticket on my card and said it was probably a faulty machine on the bus.

I tried it both journeys today and had the same problem. Called them this morning when I got off the bus and was told to go to a pay zone and ask for a balance check. I did this and used it again this evening. Same thing happened again. Spoke with another chap in the support team and he confirmed that this was strange and that they could see the ticket. He said to fill in a form and they would refund it to me.

My card is not faulty because I've used it 4 times since Monday on dublin bus. I checked with the nfc app to see what tickets are loaded on to it. There are 2 expired 7 day tickets and 1 24 hour. When I loaded the ticket that I bought online there was only 1 7 day and 1 24 hour ticket expired.

I don't know if I should chance buying a ticket online and topping up through the app for next week's journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Does anyone know if the transfer discount is applied on Luas/IE if the previous journey was made using a rambler ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

AngryLips wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the transfer discount is applied on Luas/IE if the previous journey was made using a rambler ticket?

No it isn't - it only applies where you use the epurse on the bus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

lxflyer wrote: »
    No it isn't - it only applies where you use the epurse on the bus.

Dublin Bus isn't needed. You can go from Luas to Irish Rail and get the Leap 90.

The only time Leap 90 doesn't apply between those 3 is:

Luas -> Luas

Irish Rail -> Irish Rail

Dublin Bus isn't needed. You can go from Luas to Irish Rail and get the Leap 90.

Luas -> Luas

Irish Rail -> Irish Rail

Re-read the post - I think they mean if they have just taken a bus journey using a rambler ticket and are switching to either IE or LUAS.

Why else would they mention a DB rambler ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Luas -> Luas

Irish Rail -> Irish Rail

I think lxflyer is distinguishing between ePurse (pay as you go) and rambler tickets as per the original question.

EDIT: lxflyer beat me to it confirming the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why am I always charged €1.50 from Heston Station into town instead of the 60 cent fare they advertise for Leap card users does anyone know? Ive tried asking for City Centre/Into town and 60 cent and they always say €1.50 is the minimum...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Thargor wrote: »
    Why am I always charged €1.50 from Heston Station into town instead of the 60 cent fare they advertise for Leap card users does anyone know? Ive tried asking for City Centre/Into town and 60 cent and they always say €1.50 is the minimum...

Heuston is not inside the City Centre fare zone:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/12622/City_Centre_Fare_Feb_2015_v2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah right, bit weird that they advertise it all over the station then! The one thing I didn't check...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭traco

I don't use a leapcard but I'm trying to get a student one for my daughter. Applied on line photos etc. Guess I didn't read the t's and c's about ID etc. So when no card arrived I emailed to see what the story was, and was told I need to produce her passport / ID or what ever at certain offices, all of which are in town and not in anyway convenient as we are rerely in there.

Said grand, get it done over the Christmas and now they've canceled the application and I have to reapply again.

Why can they not accept a scan of a passport? I've done it for banks, child protection and even immigartion purposes for travel to regions where child trafficking is an issue???

Why does it have to be so hard, why not even let you post in a a garda station verified copy of the passport instead of physically having to go in? You can do that for a passport which would be a slightly more important document.

Its no wonder our public transport is so poor if its this much hassle to get a card to just use the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can your daughter not do it in school / college?

Victor wrote: »
    Can your daughter not do it in school / college?

She could if she was in town, only in there once in a blue moon. Live in Portmarnock so bus is around Portmarnock, Malahide and Swords. We were heading in on Wed or thurs and were going to do it then.

Have to reapply now so it can be done then. I mean how easy would it be to have it verified by a school stamp?? it could even be at the local dart station by somebody working there. There's so many ways but no has to be in one of 3/4 offices in the city. Inefficiency at its best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

traco wrote: »
    I don't use a leapcard but I'm trying to get a student one for my daughter. Applied on line photos etc. Guess I didn't read the t's and c's about ID etc. So when no card arrived I emailed to see what the story was, and was told I need to produce her passport / ID or what ever at certain offices, all of which are in town and not in anyway convenient as we are rerely in there.

Said grand, get it done over the Christmas and now they've canceled the application and I have to reapply again.

Why can they not accept a scan of a passport? I've done it for banks, child protection and even immigartion purposes for travel to regions where child trafficking is an issue???

Why does it have to be so hard, why not even let you post in a a garda station verified copy of the passport instead of physically having to go in? You can do that for a passport which would be a slightly more important document.

Its no wonder our public transport is so poor if its this much hassle to get a card to just use the system.

A Student leap card? Who were you talking to? That's not something Leap do.

OP exactly which card are you trying to get?

There are:
    1) Child LEAP card (Under 16)
    2) Child LEAP card (16-18)
    3) Student LEAP card (for full time 2nd and 3rd level students)

This is what the mail header said, she'll be 16 in 2 weeks so figured that one was the best??

leapcard.ie - Leap Card 16-18 Purchase Request Submitted

traco wrote: »
    This is what the mail header said, she'll be 16 in 2 weeks so figured that one was the best??

leapcard.ie - Leap Card 16-18 Purchase Request Submitted

Well that's a Child 16-18 LEAP card (not a student card).

You can order that online at https://www.childleapcard.ie/child-leap-card-16-18-years/ but, as it states, it is necessary to prove the user’s date-of-birth by showing them a valid photo ID at a validation centre.

Given that this is the first complaint about that issue that I've seen here, most people seem not to view it as such a big issue.

Yes it's annoying but there's not really much else that you can do. The discounted fares will make that one trip into town worth it.

Yes it's annoying but there's not really much else that you can do. The discounted fares will make that one trip into town worth it.

Unless say you live in Bearna, when there's nowhere in town to get it done and have to go to Dublin or Cork
    And only during the week
    And not during the hour and a half of lunchtime

Unless say you live in Bearna, when there's nowhere in town to get it done and have to go to Dublin or Cork
    And only during the week
    And not during the hour and a half of lunchtime

It wouldn't be any use to someone in Bearna.

It's only valid on city services in Galway.

You really like sitting down and trying to come up with fantasy extreme situations don't you?

It wouldn't be any use to someone in Bearna.

It's only valid on city services in Galway.

You really like sitting down and trying to come up with fantasy extreme situations don't you?

What's fantastical or extreme is setting up an "integrated ticketing system" in Galway or Limerick and then preventing customers using it unless they travel to Cork or Dublin and then only for very restricted times

• Advertisement

What's fantastical or extreme is setting up an "integrated ticketing system" in Galway or Limerick and then preventing customers using it unless they travel to Cork or Dublin and then only for very restricted times

I'd be pretty sure that, although they aren't listed on the form, that the local Bus Eireann offices in Galway, Limerick and Waterford will validate them.

It's just a case that the form hasn't been updated to reflect that (which it should of course have been).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement