Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 braniganl

Anyone know what the procedure is for claiming back the €5 deposit when returning a leap card? I have 6 spare cards (only a few cent left on most of them apparently) left behind by american relatives who were over during christmas and new year. Is there an office in the city centre I can return them to or is it a post away job?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

braniganl wrote: »
    Anyone know what the procedure is for claiming back the €5 deposit when returning a leap card? I have 6 spare cards (only a few cent left on most of them apparently) left behind by american relatives who were over during christmas and new year. Is there an office in the city centre I can return them to or is it a post away job?

Thanks

If you register them online you can get them cancelled and apply for a refund into your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corroonb

I'm starting a 3rd level course soon and I'll need to buy a Bus Eireann 10-journey ticket every week. I'd like to do this with a Leap Card to avoid using Bus Eireann's terrible website. What are my options for getting the discounted 10-journey ticket on the Leap Card? Can I load a student 10-journey onto the adult leap card or do I need a student leap card?

Can I load funds and/or tickets onto the student leap card without visiting a load location? There are none anywhere near where I live. Apparently the Adult leap card only discounts 3 euro from the price of a 10 journey ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

corroonb wrote: »
    ?

Can I load funds and/or tickets onto the student leap card without visiting a load location? There are none anywhere near where I live. Apparently the Adult leap card only discounts 3 euro from the price of a 10 journey ticket.

If you are getting an Adult leap card at the moment you will need to visit a load location to top up your card. This will soon change when the nfc leap card app is officially launched.

While the ticket may only discount €3 off, it does give you unlimited travel for 7 days as opposed to just 10 journeys.

You would be better off applying for a student leap card if it is applicable to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

corroonb wrote: »
    Can I load a student 10-journey onto the adult leap card or do I need a student leap card?

You need a Student Leap Card. You should be able to get one through school / college or check the website.

What trip are you making that you are concerned about load locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Victor wrote: »
    You need a Student Leap Card. You should be able to get one through school / college or check the website.

What trip are you making that you are concerned about load locations?

In fairness, this far into Leap that should be an irrelevant question. The whole notion of load locations at this point is inane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Does anyone else in the regional cities feel using Leap Card on buses is so unnecessarily slow? Surely with a flat rate, it would make so much more sense to have a tag on system without needing the driver?
    At present, you need to tell the driver you require a single fare rather than using any weekly or monthly tickets that may have been loaded on to your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Does anyone else in the regional cities feel using Leap Card on buses is so unnecessarily slow? Surely with a flat rate, it would make so much more sense to have a tag on system without needing the driver?
    At present, you need to tell the driver you require a single fare rather than using any weekly or monthly tickets that may have been loaded on to your card.

How would you suggest the machine to know what type of product loaded on card to use?

How would you suggest the machine to know what type of product loaded on card to use?

Do Luas and Irish Rail machines not know?
    Even Dublin Bus is a lot quicker than Bus Eireann.

• Advertisement

The Irish Rail and Luas validators take the period pass or monthly/weekly ticket if that is on the card, if not they take the maximum fare within the LEAP enabled zone when you tag on.

When you tag off they refund the difference between the max fare and the actual fare.

The Irish Rail and Luas validators take the period pass or monthly/weekly ticket if that is on the card, if not they take the maximum fare within the LEAP enabled zone when you tag on.

When you tag off they refund the difference between the max fare and the actual fare.

devnull wrote: »

Could Bus Eireann not just do the same but instead of taking the maximum fare (there is none!) just take the flat fare instead which is €1.60.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think most of the regional services have 2 zones in each location. If you had a ticket on the card, it shouldn't be an issue. But the annoying part is the monthly tickets for these services is based on the calendar month. It doesn't roll over with consideration to the number of days.

I've noticed that whenever I use my Leap card in Galway, I get a "Use Not Allowed. Try Purse" error but if I leave the card on the reader it eventually takes it. Not sure why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Karsini wrote: »
    I've noticed that whenever I use my Leap card in Galway, I get a "Use Not Allowed. Try Purse" error but if I leave the card on the reader it eventually takes it. Not sure why that is.

Do you have a non-Bus Éireann product on it?

Victor wrote: »
    Do you have a non-Bus Éireann product on it?
    I have auto topup enabled but not any Dublin Bus-specific stuff like Rambler tickets.

Happens in Limerick too. "User not allowed. Try Purse" comes up but after about 15 seconds it shows your credit. Some drivers don't allow you to leave it on the reader though and take it off, fiddle with a few buttons and then put it back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Looks like the Leap app will be released for Android today. Very handy functionality imo.

http://www.newstalk.com/Top-up-your-Leap-card-via-app-from-today

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭noelfirl

SteM wrote: »
    Looks like the Leap app will be released for Android today. Very handy functionality imo.

http://www.newstalk.com/Top-up-your-Leap-card-via-app-from-today

On the Play store now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ie.leapcard.tnfc&hl=en_GB

• Advertisement

Yeah, just tried it and payment screen seems buggy. It's reading the Leap using NFC though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I've been using it for about a month now. It's very good. Basic and easy to use. I just wish they would get rid of verified by Visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Does the top-up app run on a tablet? I have a Google Nexus 7 (wi-fi only) tablet with NFC but the top-up app doesn't work, says there was a problem and to 'represent the card' but it refuses to read either of two Leap cards which by the way are in regular use and which were topped up at a ticket machine in a Dart station a week ago. NFC is switched on and I shut down and restarted the tablet just in case but it just refuses to read the cards.

Both cards are registered so I can check the balance at home on the leapcard.ie website but I'd like to be able to top-up at home because my main use of Leap is on the buses. There is no technical reason I can think of why a wi-fi device shouldn't be able to work just as well as a smartphone once it has NFC and a data connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Tried the app, looks good to me, a very useful feature. I only rarely use my Leap Card these days, so it's handy to have a quick way to check the balance. A nice feature is that you can just touch the card to your phone at any time- it will open the app automatically.

Is the topup applied immediately from the app, or do you need to collect it from a shop?

The app could also stand to have some more settings/display more info. I had NFC disabled in my phone settings but if the app knew that, it didn't tell me, had to figure it out myself.

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Is the topup applied immediately from the app, or do you need to collect it from a shop?

It's applied immediately.

Would be nice if you could save your card details

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

devnull wrote: »
    Would be nice if you could save your card details

It's on their TODO list, see the Play Store ...
    We are also working on future releases which will enhance the app and include:
    - Ability to store payment card details for a more streamlined top-up purchasing process
    - Display the 5 most recent transactions on a Leap card
    - Ticket information for tickets on your Leap card

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Avada wrote: »
    I just wish they would get rid of verified by Visa.
    Amen to that. Verified by Visa needs to die a painful death, and very soon.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

SteM wrote: »
    It's applied immediately.

It depends actually. A topup is applied immediately.

However if you buy special tickets on the website (monthly, rambler, tickets, etc.) you have to wait until the next day for the ticket to be applied!

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    It depends actually. A topup is applied immediately.

However if you buy special tickets on the website (monthly, rambler, tickets, etc.) you have to wait until the next day for the ticket to be applied!

The question was
    MrMorooka wrote: »
    Is the topup applied immediately from the app

So we're talking about topups from the app not 'tickets' from the website. Was I wrong in answering Yes to this question?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement