Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

SteM wrote: »
    So we're talking about topups from the app not 'tickets' from the website. Was I wrong in answering Yes to this question?

Not at all, I just thought more information could be useful.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Can't believe there are people who have reviewed the app on the Play store asking if they could have function of typing the card number in and topping up that way without having to mess around with using NFC!

It appears HTC phones have problems with the APP as well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Can't believe there are people who have reviewed the app on the Play store asking if they could have function of typing the card number in and topping up that way without having to mess around with using NFC!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Well, for one, the app should be able to tell if you the phone doesn't have NFC, or if it's disabled. Maybe that's not possible with the Android API, I don't know. There's also the point that people may be holding the card to the wrong location- on my phone I need to hold the card to the top half of the phone only or it won't be detected.

Basically, the app could do a it more to educate and guide the user.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I used the app there now, worked fine-ish.

It's very quick to say the card is incompatible and to contact Leap, whereas it should just say try again. Which it never says. Nuclear option straight off.

Second is the 3D secure was off the screen and I had to scroll over to see it. This was a stroke of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

coylemj wrote: »
    Does the top-up app run on a tablet? I have a Google Nexus 7 (wi-fi only) tablet with NFC but the top-up app doesn't work, says there was a problem and to 'represent the card' but it refuses to read either of two Leap cards which by the way are in regular use and which were topped up at a ticket machine in a Dart station a week ago. NFC is switched on and I shut down and restarted the tablet just in case but it just refuses to read the cards.

Both cards are registered so I can check the balance at home on the leapcard.ie website but I'd like to be able to top-up at home because my main use of Leap is on the buses. There is no technical reason I can think of why a wi-fi device shouldn't be able to work just as well as a smartphone once it has NFC and a data connection.
    They say it does on the Leap site.

Also tried with a Nexus 7. After repeatedly trying to get it to read the card, it eventually says that the card is not supported. I emailed the developers through the app store. They reckon it should work now as there was an issue with Amazon Web Services yesterday - although I find it odd that just reading the card balance requires a third-party service. Anyway, I digress.

Had the same issue with another Leap card in the house but a One Plus could read the card.

I have other NFC apps on the tablet and they read cards just fine - including the Leap card! So I can only hope the Leap app is a bit buggy in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Can tickets like rambler be loaded via the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

ethernet wrote: »

Also tried with a Nexus 7. After repeatedly trying to get it to read the card, it eventually says that the card is not supported.

Works fine on my unrooted Nexus 7 (2013) (wifi only) running stock with build number MMB290.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Worked fine after a little bit of manipulation with HTC One Mini 2. Did test amount of 5 euros & showed straight on to card via app. Checked online Leap card history & shows there now as well. Its not the greatest app but in terms of being able to top up without calling at a shop its a huge 'Leap' forward. I know just couldnt resist

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Developer response:

The compatibility issue with tablet devices should now be resolved. Please enable NFC & try again. Apologies for the inconvenience.

It works now on my Nexus 7 (2013), they must have made some change on their server because the app wasn't updated on the Play Store but it suddenly works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Works fine on my unrooted Nexus 7 (2013) (wifi only) running stock with build number MMB290.
    coylemj wrote:
    It works now on my Nexus 7 (2013), they must have made some change on their server because the app wasn't updated on the Play Store but it suddenly works.
    Magically started working for me today also!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Working on my Nexus 9. This will be very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

n97 mini wrote: »
    I used the app there now, worked fine-ish.

It's very quick to say the card is incompatible and to contact Leap, whereas it should just say try again. Which it never says. Nuclear option straight off.

Second is the 3D secure was off the screen and I had to scroll over to see it. This was a stroke of luck.

Aha, I'll try it again so...all I could see was a blank screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Galadriel wrote: »
    Aha, I'll try it again so...all I could see was a blank screen.

Worked once I scrolled over and found the login box! So happy they've brought this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

devnull wrote: »

The nfc thing is fiddly and gimmicky - some phones don't have it, and it's also the reason there's no iOS version, as access to the nfc is restricted on iPhones. As odd as it sounds, entering the number is more practical and versatile - it would make the Apple version of the app immediately possible, the android one usable on all phones and also, what if you want to top up a card you don't physically have in that moment? A classic example would be parents with their kid's cards if they run out of credit while out...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

H3llR4iser wrote:
    The nfc thing is fiddly and gimmicky - some phones don't have it, and it's also the reason there's no iOS version, as access to the nfc is restricted on iPhones. As odd as it sounds, entering the number is more practical and versatile - it would make the Apple version of the app immediately possible, the android one usable on all phones and also, what if you want to top up a card you don't physically have in that moment? A classic example would be parents with their kid's cards if they run out of credit while out...

I'm so confused by that post.

You must enter your credit card number to process the transaction, it's not a contactless transaction.

You cannot enter the Leap card number, you must have the card in contact with the phone so the balance can be written to the card.

It's not possible to top up a Leap card remotely, something (NFC phone, Payzone terminal or Ticket Vending Machine) must be able to write to the card.

markpb wrote: »
    I'm so confused by that post.

You must enter your credit card number to process the transaction, it's not a contactless transaction.

You cannot enter the Leap card number, you must have the card in contact with the phone so the balance can be written to the card.

It's not possible to top up a Leap card remotely, something (NFC phone, Payzone terminal or Ticket Vending Machine) must be able to write to the card.

Doesn't need to be - you could top up a TFL Oyster card, online, years ago. The top up goes in the system and is applied the next time the card gets used at a IE barrier, bus et cetera...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Doesn't need to be - you could top up a TFL Oyster card, online, years ago. The top up goes in the system and is applied the next time the card gets used at a IE barrier, bus et cetera...

Oyster does not top up on buses.

It suffers exactly the same issue as LEAP - you have to go to a station or a shop to get the top up applied to the card.

The difference between London and Dublin is that there are far more railway stations across the city in London.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Oyster does not top up on buses.

It suffers exactly the same issue as LEAP - you have to go to a station or a shop to get the top up applied to the card.

The difference between London and Dublin is that there are far more railway stations across the city in London.

Still, give the possibility. Maybe they'll do in the future, but as of now it's something that is lacking. It won't hurt to have the number field in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Still, give the possibility. Maybe they'll do in the future, but as of now it's something that is lacking. It won't hurt to have the number field in there.

It will if nobody can actually do anything with the app without NFC anyway.

• Advertisement

You can topup a Leapcard online just by entering the card number. That's been available since day 1. However, the credit has to be physically written to the card somehow. That's where Payzone, the TVMs and now the app come in.

If the app allowed you to enter the number, you'd still need to bring the card somewhere to collect it. That would be Payzone, TVMs or... the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Can you imagine the amount of gormless smartphone wielding folks who'd not be able to figure that out and then start moaning when they can't tag on because they've got no balance!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

markpb wrote: »
    You can topup a Leapcard online just by entering the card number. That's been available since day 1. However, the credit has to be physically written to the card somehow. That's where Payzone, the TVMs and now the app come in.

I think the problem is that online topups don't trickle down to the machines/validators until the next day (not sure why this is).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

loyatemu wrote: »
    I think the problem is that online topups don't trickle down to the machines/validators until the next day (not sure why this is).

Exactly the same issue with Oyster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The nfc thing is fiddly and gimmicky - some phones don't have it, and it's also the reason there's no iOS version, as access to the nfc is restricted on iPhones. ....

One other considerable negative is the NFC capability will only work on Phones running Android KitKat version 4.4 or later.

This effectively rules out a great many Android units and considerably restricts the usefullness of the App.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

AlekSmart wrote: »
    One other considerable negative is the NFC capability will only work on Phones running Android KitKat version 4.4 or later.

This effectively rules out a great many Android units and considerably restricts the usefullness of the App.

Not really. Approx 70% of Android devices run 4.4 or higher and the majority of the ones running lower than 4.4 are to old to have an nfc chip as standard.

AlekSmart wrote:

Not being able to make use of NFC would restrict the usefulness of the app considerably more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

loyatemu wrote:

I'll take a stab at a guess that because the card manages the purse there's no direct online connection between day Dublin bus readers and the top ups online.

You'd have to guarantee that people would hold their card long enough to make sure a full transaction is processed through.

Put it like this.. Consider how long it takes for you to put say your Ulster bank debit card in an atm and for that atm to start making the noise of counting the notes to dispense. Then multiply that with 60 people getting on a bus on Eden quay waiting for their card to update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

Anyone know what the logic behind the Leap 90 discount not applying to Luas-Luas journeys?

The website says the following;

"Leap 90 discount does not apply to Luas- Luas or DART/ Commuter Rail – DART/ Commuter Rail as these trips already have specific discounted fares."

Yet if you get two buses the discount does apply. Go figure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

howiya wrote: »
    Anyone know what the logic behind the Leap 90 discount not applying to Luas-Luas journeys?

The website says the following;

"Leap 90 discount does not apply to Luas- Luas or DART/ Commuter Rail – DART/ Commuter Rail as these trips already have specific discounted fares."

Yet if you get two buses the discount does apply. Go figure

The discount is a commercial agreement between Dublin Bus and LEAP.

It is up to the other companies to make their own commercial decisions as to their LEAP options.

Money is at the root of most stuff :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement