Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

SteM wrote: »
    Not really. Approx 70% of Android devices run 4.4 or higher and the majority of the ones running lower than 4.4 are to old to have an nfc chip as standard.

Doubtless true,however it remains equally true that,for example a Samsung Galaxy 3 Mini,purchased last year is NFC enabled but runs Android 4.2.

Whilst the tech savvy may well keep themselves up to speed,a significant number of folk source their mobiles on the 2nd Hand market and 4.4 may not be as prevalent there.

Of course there may well be good technical reasons why the lesser Androids cannot take it,but it's still a disappointment ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

howiya wrote: »
    Anyone know what the logic behind the Leap 90 discount not applying to Luas-Luas journeys?

The website says the following;

"Leap 90 discount does not apply to Luas- Luas or DART/ Commuter Rail – DART/ Commuter Rail as these trips already have specific discounted fares."

Yet if you get two buses the discount does apply. Go figure

The logic is that you can already buy a ticket from any IE station to any other IE station and similarly you can buy a ticket from any LUAS stop to any other LUAS stop. Journeys on IE or LUAS using LEAP are priced accordingly - using the appropriate fare for the whole journey which has its own price.

The thought process behind it is that the discount is to facilitate anyone making a journey that requires more than one individual trip on public transport. Bus only trips and multi-mode trips do not have multi-trip fares as such, while LUAS and Irish Rail do.

So if your trip was Dundrum to Heuston, and you're using LUAS, and walking between the Green and Red lines, using LEAP you'll only be charged the fare from Dundrum to Heuston rather than two separate trips with a discount (although you must tag off and back on at both stops in the city centre).

Where the logic falls down is that if you decide to break your journey on a bus currently, you will receive the €1 discount on your resumed trip (if you resume within 90 minutes of starting the initial trip). That won't apply on LUAS or Irish Rail and you will be charged for two separate trips. However, such trips are not the primary reason for the discount - it is there primarily to facilitate anyone who has to make two or more trips within one single journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Doubtless true,however it remains equally true that,for example a Samsung Galaxy 3 Mini,purchased last year is NFC enabled but runs Android 4.2.

Whilst the tech savvy may well keep themselves up to speed,a significant number of folk source their mobiles on the 2nd Hand market and 4.4 may not be as prevalent there.

Of course there may well be good technical reasons why the lesser Androids cannot take it,but it's still a disappointment ?
    Yes, to save patent licence fee - short and simple - the same with sd card slots! Nfc has been around the last decade or more - wiki says since the Nokia 6131 in 2006, but i think earlier again - just can't find a reputable source!
    Manufacturers need to licence Nfc, and some to save costs choose not to. (think the 2015 OnePlusTwo phone )

Nfc is the way forward (well it was 10 years ago - and still is)

The question should be asked who doesn't have it on their phones AND don't know a friend /work colleague that does. I would say very very few! For them, there is still a website. So, nothing to see here, move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

howiya wrote: »
    Anyone know what the logic behind the Leap 90 discount not applying to Luas-Luas journeys?

The website says the following;

"Leap 90 discount does not apply to Luas- Luas or DART/ Commuter Rail – DART/ Commuter Rail as these trips already have specific discounted fares."

Yet if you get two buses the discount does apply. Go figure
    I can buy a cash ticket from any Luas stop to any Luas stop (and return). Before Leap Card, I couldn't do the same thing on the bus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,906 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

am i being stupid here? i have a monthly leap card, and wanted to confirm it's active.
    the 'register' option on leapcard.ie allowed me to register the card. i was not logged in to an account.
    there's a login option, but no instructions on how to create an account?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,906 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

am i being stupid here? i have a monthly leap card, and wanted to confirm it's active.
    the 'register' option on leapcard.ie allowed me to register the card. i was not logged in to an account.
    there's a login option, but no instructions on how to create an account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

When you buy a leap card you pay a refundable 5 euro deposit. Does anyone know how you get the 5 euro refunded?

I bought a leap card and then got a tax saver leap card with my photo on it. Can I return the original leap card and get my 5 euros back?

syklops wrote: »
    When you buy a leap card you pay a refundable 5 euro deposit. Does anyone know how you get the 5 euro refunded?

I bought a leap card and then got a tax saver leap card with my photo on it. Can I return the original leap card and get my 5 euros back?
    There is a procedure to return it and get the money. https://about.leapcard.ie/card-replacement-refunds

Would you not want to keep it for visitors, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

I want to get a family 24 hour leap card. From my understanding it has to be purchased online, can I buy it and have it delivered but not use it til next week? Does it activate when you first use it or is it already activated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Umekichi wrote: »
    I want to get a family 24 hour leap card. From my understanding it has to be purchased online, can I buy it and have it delivered but not use it til next week? Does it activate when you first use it or is it already activated?

It activates when you first use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

lxflyer wrote: »
    It activates when you first use it.

Perfect, thanks very much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Umekichi wrote: »

You can use them until New Year's Eve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone having issues today.

Girl in front of me couldn't use her's and driver was on the radio to someone and apparently it's been an issue today. Added to that mine won't top up now (added money but app won't update card), someone in work having same top up issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Overheard an issue on the Dart on Saturday - inspectors got on, tourist had a 5 day rambler ticket on her leap card but hadn't realised it was bus only - inspector was sound, told her that the shops don't provide proper information, and let her off but told her she needs to have money on the card as well as the rambler is she wished to use it on the DART. Said they were having lots of issues with people unintentionally getting on DART without proper payment (issue of how she got through automatic gate not discussed).
    Anyone else come across this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Overheard an issue on the Dart on Saturday - inspectors got on, tourist had a 5 day rambler ticket on her leap card but hadn't realised it was bus only - inspector was sound, told her that the shops don't provide proper information, and let her off but told her she needs to have money on the card as well as the rambler is she wished to use it on the DART. Said they were having lots of issues with people unintentionally getting on DART without proper payment (issue of how she got through automatic gate not discussed).
    Anyone else come across this?

Lots and lots of stations where this is really easy because the barriers aren't closed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Update to the top-up App today

It has had some interface tweaks, now saves card details and shows last five transactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

That's a big help, sick of having to type in card details each time, just how secure it is now is the only question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I read somewhere that this app won't be available on App Store due to Apple restrictions on 3rd parties using the technology - is that true?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I read somewhere that this app won't be available on App Store due to Apple restrictions on 3rd parties using the technology - is that true?

As far as I'm aware, they do limit the functionality of NFC. They'd probably rather people linked in with Apple Pay, than have someone develop something for their own means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭markpb

Van.Bosch wrote: »

When Apple add new hardware to the their devices, they limit its use to Apple apps for the first while. This currently applies to the fingerprint sensor and the NFC chip. I'd expect to change but not for another 6-12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭AngryLips

markpb wrote: »
    When Apple add new hardware to the their devices, they limit its use to Apple apps for the first while. This currently applies to the fingerprint sensor and the NFC chip. I'd expect to change but not for another 6-12 months.

I think you're being overly optimistic here. Apple are far more likely to limit the use of NFC the way they do for bluetooth ...that is, they will limit the use of this technology indefinitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, apple are going to keep the NFC reader/emulator to themselves, it makes sense for them to have Apple Pay exclusivity.

Theres also the security query in that you can currently MITM an NFC transaction with two HCE android phones and 2 seconds. In effect you could stand at a luas stop and swipe one sleeve over a targets leap and another over the tag on reader and clone their card in an instant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭AngryLips

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah, apple are going to keep the NFC reader/emulator to themselves, it makes sense for them to have Apple Pay exclusivity.

Theres also the security query in that you can currently MITM an NFC transaction with two HCE android phones and 2 seconds. In effect you could stand at a luas stop and swipe one sleeve over a targets leap and another over the tag on reader and clone their card in an instant.

I see how this might be a concern for credit cards but for leap cards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I hope it's ok to ask this here -trying to figure out exactly what happened with my Leap Card today.

I took a bus to the city centre today (flat fare €2.60), topped up the card then took the DART from Connolly to Howth. I forgot to tag off in Howth so this means the max fare is deducted I think. When I tried to tag on again in Howth a few hours later it kept saying "please try again" on the platform reader.

I spoke to a worker on the platform who tried the card at the exit barriers but the same thing happened. He then came over to the ticket machine with me which confirmed plenty of money on the card (€4.90 deducted since top up) and "status: tagged on". He told me to get on the train even though I was worried about getting fined at Connolly. Thankfully the barrier opened no problem in Connolly. The reader on my bus home (paying flat fare) said only €2.50 deducted since checking in Howth even though bus fare should be €2.60.

I'm confused as to whether I actually paid for the DART trip back to Connolly or not now. Or why the readers in Howth did not accept the card but the ticket machine said tagged on. If this were to happen again should I pay for a ticket even if it says tagged on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's €3 for a 3 day public transport ticket in Bordeaux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,606 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It's €3 for a 3 day public transport ticket in Bordeaux.

http://www.infotbc.com/en/fares

Please note that a 1-day pass in Bordeaux is 4.60.

A 7-day pass is 12.40, great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

How do Leap cards work with return fares on irish rail?

Do i just tag on and off for both journeys and it calculates a return or do you get stung for 2 single rates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

guylikeme wrote: »
    How do Leap cards work with return fares on irish rail?

Do i just tag on and off for both journeys and it calculates a return or do you get stung for 2 single rates?

The single fare is half a return, basically. There's no getting stung to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭thomasj

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/samsung-to-roll-out-contactless-pay-in-ireland-in-summer-1.3041186
    He pointed to Transport for London’s use of contactless mobile payment technology alongside its smart cards as a way of paying on buses and trains in the city as something that could work in Ireland.
    “We need to do that. It’s inevitable, that’s going to happen. There will definitely come a time when people are used to using their phone or watch [to pay].”

Quote from Conor Pierce, Samsungs vice-president for mobile in the UK and Ireland

• Advertisement

Email today.
    email wrote:
    Údarás Náisiúnta Iompair, National Transport Authority

Leap Top-up App enhancement goes live
    10th April 2017

The latest version of National Transport Authority’s Leap Top-Up app goes live this week, with several innovative features being rolled out.

* Ticket Sales – Customers can now purchase tickets directly via their app, without having to visit a retail outlet
    * Email receipts for top-ups and ticket purchases to ensure greater clarity
    * Detailed Ticket Information Screens
    * Detailed Card Information Screens

NTA said: “The app has been a resounding success, and we want to make sure that it continues to meet people’s needs and expectations.

The enhancements are being introduced in response to feedback from customers, and we believe they will improve the functionality of the app in a meaningful way.

It is clear to us that the easier and more convenient we can make public transport, the more people will use it. Innovations such as Leap Card, the top-up app and our journey planner app do precisely that.

We saw where last year, the numbers of people using subsidised public transport services provided by Bus Éireann, Dublin Bus, Iarnród Éireann, and Luas increased by 4.4% and we want that trend to continue.

That is why all of our apps undergo a continuous process of enhancement and improvement on an ongoing basis.â€

App stats:

* Total Downloads/Installs: 138,000
    * The average volume of total monthly top-ups on the app in 2016 was 66,982.
    * In the month of March this year, there were 154,700 top-ups performed on the app.
    * The average value of monthly total top-ups on the app in 2016 was €875,469.
    * In the month of March this year, the value of top-ups performed on the app was €1,960,379.
    * The total value of top-ups made on the app, up to 31st March this year, was €15,927,200.

Background:

Since 2016, Leap Card users with Near Field Communications (NFC)-enabled Android phones can check their card balance and instantly top-up their card with travel credit or collect pre-purchased tickets, including TaxSaver tickets, onto their Leap Card – all by touching their card against their phones.

Leap Top-Up App uses NFC technology to communicate directly between the phone and the Leap Card.

This new enhancement will be particularly useful to Leap Card users who most regularly travel by bus as, until now, they have had to detour to a shop to upload credit or ticket products bought earlier online.

Any Leap Card holder with an NFC-enabled Android smartphone with a Google Play account can download the Leap Top-Up App.

In addition, people with the App on their phones can check a friend’s Leap Card Balance for them, allow them to collect a ticket or pay for a friend’s Leap Card top-up, instantly, and in their own time.

Apple has not yet decided to allow access to NFC technology by third parties. If and when they do, the National Transport Authority plans to develop this App on iOS for iPhone owners.

Existing Features:

* Leap Card Top-ups
    * Transaction History
    * Stored Payment Card details for easy top-ups

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement