Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Eatery Dublin North City Centre for Sunday Lunchtime?

Options
  • 25-11-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I'm always stuck for a good restaurant on DNS (de nor' side) of Dublin city centre, especially when it comes to Sunday lunchtime. I'm heading out for my birthday lunch this Sunday. Any suggestions?

Looking for something several steps up from Supermacs (!) but several steps down (pricewise at least) from Chapter One

Places I've already tried and tested:
    101 Talbot - great but closed Sunday and Monday
    Le Bon Crubeen - meh, didn't bother going back
    Chapter One - wow! But strictly for very special occaisons unless you've won the Lotto
    The Loft Bookshop - 3fe coffee excellent (thanks to Boardsie recommendations!) but no food of which to speak
    Medina - again, meh (and a bit cheap and cheerful for the occaision)
    Korean BBQ - ok. Love the garlic brocolli and the sea bass but can otherwise be hit and miss. (also a bit cheap and cheerful for the occaision)
    Epicurean Food Hall - has become so grotty over recent years but still love TacoTacos (but for this Sunday want something a little more special)
    The Winding Stair - absolutely loved it first time, not so impressed second time, loathed it third time (by this stage a victim of its own success and greed - table not available at reservation time, delivery of food sloooow, overcrowded (being bumped into by waiters trying to squeeze between tables), prices too high. General level of service very, very slow. Never going there again.

So, any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭donal666

Try Louies on Mountjoy square www.louies.ie/ Been twice and great experience both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Paulo Tulio gave Louies a good review in the Indo last weekend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

Will keep an eye out for Louies. Thanks very much for the recommendation.

For this weekend, though, I'm staying a little closer to the Liffey (Quays, Abbey St, that kind of area)... anywhere there?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As your search is that restrictive I'll move to the Dublin City forum.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 40 c_murph

Mitsuba on Parnell Street is great if you want Japanese / Asian.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

donal666 wrote: »
    Try Louies on Mountjoy square www.louies.ie/ Been twice and great experience both times.

was going to suggest louis too - my favourite restaurant in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Stargrrl

Nearer the Quays you have Foam Cafe which has loverly food and nice staff if you can get past the OTT decor and is definitely open Sundays.

http://foamcafe.ie/

La Taverna on Ormond Quay/Milennium walkway is a good authentic Italian as is the one beside it. (Bar Italia?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

donal666 wrote: »
    haven't been but good luck to them, their menu is standard enough stuff, but their prices surprise me, v competitive.

I think they mean "White Wine" on their website the second time they list "Red Wine", I'm sure they read Boards.:) have a look at their site, you'll see what I'm on about.

Nice to see an old Georgian building on one of the most neglected Georgian squares get a bit of care and attention, well done on all the hard work.

Advertisement