Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning hand drawn sketches into graphics?

Options
  • 25-11-2011 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hey guys,

I have a quick question. I have a hand drawn sketch here that I need to graphictise (not sure even if that is a word??) I need it to put the graphic as a logo into the beginning of a video so it will just appear for 3/4 seconds before actually video begins. Anyone knows how I can do this or even if there is any free software out there that enables me to do so?? Thanks all very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

If it's a logo then you probably should use vectors, so Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator (if thats still around) or any vector based application will work. Maybe even the GIMP will do.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

For vector graphics a better option than GIMP would be InkScape which is an open source equivalent of Illustrator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Not being smart here, but could you not just scan it and touch it up later? Use Paint.net if your on Windows.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Not being smart here, but could you not just scan it and touch it up later? Use Paint.net if your on Windows.
    the advantages of a vector graphic over a scanned image would be it could scale (up or down) without effects like blurring or jagged edges, plus it should be a smaller file.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

I'm not a graphic designer, so my terminology might be off, but you could scan the image and "trace bitmap", which is offered as an automated procedure in some software packages and on-line services. It can also be done as a manual process, which for a complicated picture may need to be done.

You could try a website like this:
    http://vectormagic.com/home

Or use something like Inkscape:
    http://inkscape.org/doc/tracing/tutorial-tracing.html

Google bitmap tracing for alternative solutions. Or raster/bitmap to vector. Check out some YouTube videos on how to do it manually (usually done with the pen tool on the scanned image).

You can of course just keep the image as a raster format, but risk poor quality and inflexible usage. If it's use is a once off, you might get away with it.

And maybe try a different forum, as this is not really a software developer subject (unless we start discussing edge detection:P).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

What Procasinator said.

Though, overall I think the best thing is to hire someone to redraw it for you. It's really not something software, even the best ones, can do well. Also, without seeing the sketch, it's quite likely that a professional designer could do a lot more design work on it to really bring out the concept fully. Unless you, or the person who drew it, knows logo design, it's probably not going to be suitable as is, but would be a good starting point for a logo design process.

Advertisement