Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pat Fenlon is the new Hibernian manager

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Fenlon is not in charge today though

Spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

No Billy Brown was be interesting for me as a hibee to see what changes he makes to the playing and backroom staff especially,we have been muck this season but i do think we have better players then our league position shows,i think Pat Fenlon will do well with Hibs and surprise a few people into the bargain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

SantryRed wrote: »
    Has never succeeded without a chequebook to be fair. I do wish him the best but wouldn't be surprised to see him back in Ireland within the next 2 years.

That's one thing but it's another thing actually getting success. Managers have had no success with the money he's spent. He knows and to spend money and can get success with it. This year 5 was about expected. And we got that.. Is that not success, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

SantryRed wrote: »
    Has never succeeded without a chequebook to be fair. I do wish him the best but wouldn't be surprised to see him back in Ireland within the next 2 years.
    Sir alex needed and still needs a chequbook.As does mourhinio, etc.Dont be so patronising.For the love of Christ.Fergie has bought the league in england year after year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

bohsman wrote: »
    Bitter Nordie is bitter.

So you have forgotten that he ruined Shelbourne and Derry and has almost certainly ruined your Bohs too.

Spending more money than the clubs have will cause that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭CSF

So you have forgotten that he ruined Shelbourne and Derry and has almost certainly ruined your Bohs too.

Pat Fenlon ruined Derry? You messing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

im pretty sure derry had their double contracts in place before fenlon, the players didnt know, i doubt fenlon did either. he was probably on one. (and if they wernt overspending they wouldnt have needed them in the first place)
    at shels, it wasnt the manager who drove their big spending and bohs were spending the developers money before it was in the bank, that was a board decision. i know of at least one who left the board because he didnt want to spend on a promise.
    the manager would always take it, as would a player. he is given his budget and its down to him how well he spends it. shels & bohs got titles, fenlon & his players did their job. fenlon's only financial concern should be if a player is worth his part of the budget. its the board who sets it and decides if its sustainable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I reckon it's a good gig for Fenlon. Hibs are under performing at the moment. If he steadies the ship this season and jumps up the table a little then his first season will be seen as a success. Then next season he can put his mark on the team and do better. Good appointment from Hibs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

He is in a win win situation,9 managers in 11 years...if they sake him he will get a nice lump sum.What kind of money do you reckon he is on..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Dub13 wrote: »
    He is in a win win situation,9 managers in 11 years...if they sake him he will get a nice lump sum.What kind of money do you reckon he is on..?

£1200 a week. That's a guess that I base on absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

CSF wrote: »
    Pat Fenlon ruined Derry? You messing?

He came to Derry after the European run in 2006 when we had money, and left us with no money, spending stupid amounts on players like Rogers

He came to Derry after the European run in 2006 when we had money, and left us with no money, spending stupid amounts on players like Rogers
    So that was what ruined Derry, and not the fact that the club were routinely illegally paying players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Personally I hope Pat Fenlon does well with Hibs. He has a tough job ahead of him but I'm sure his determined to succeed and climb the ladder as regards management in bigger clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

ColeTrain wrote: »
    £1200 a week. That's a guess that I base on absolutely nothing.

He's on £ more_than_bohs.

Plus he'll actually get it into his account every month, no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Head in the sand. :D

Pat Fenlon was not your financial controller.

As much as you'd probably like to blame the demise of the old Derry City on an outsider, it was destroyed by people from Derry.

With no effort to save it by the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Its weird people actually think Fenlon sanctioned every signing ever, he asked for the best players the the clubs provided them.

Except Derry but between dual contracts and few million from a heist going tru the turnstyles.....seriously?

Fenlon is a decent manager, he gets results. Hope it works out for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

A manager can only spend money he is allowed to by his board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

He had nothing to do with Shels demise. Even less to do with Bohs demise and I have seen no evidence linking him to the dual contract scandal that ruined Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Fenlon did not choose the budget he just spends when he gets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I hope he does well now.

gustavo wrote: »

A manager can only spend money he is allowed to by his board

While you can only spend what you get and the budget is ultimately down to the board, you can't say that some managers have not destabilized clubs by going to the press or threatening to walk over additional budget demands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dreamers75 wrote: »

Asian betting syndicate? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Fair bad when a manager tries to defend the indefensible!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/hibernian/2012/01/26/hibs-boss-pat-fenlon-brands-trial-by-tv-an-insult-to-refs-86908-23721583/
    "My straight answer to whether I am in favour of trial by television would certainly be a no," said Fenlon.

"I don't feel it is fair and the process at the moment is all one way - it has to work in favour of the players as well as against them.

"I personally think it's an insult to referees. Let them referee the games, they are not going to get everything right.

"That's the way football has always been, and in my eyes a lot of the changes they are making to football are destroying the game and I don't believe it works."

If he can't stop Leigh Griffiths giving fans the finger then he is completely out of his depth.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Fair bad when a manager tries to defend the indefensible!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/hibernian/2012/01/26/hibs-boss-pat-fenlon-brands-trial-by-tv-an-insult-to-refs-86908-23721583/
    "My straight answer to whether I am in favour of trial by television would certainly be a no," said Fenlon.

"I don't feel it is fair and the process at the moment is all one way - it has to work in favour of the players as well as against them.

"I personally think it's an insult to referees. Let them referee the games, they are not going to get everything right.

"That's the way football has always been, and in my eyes a lot of the changes they are making to football are destroying the game and I don't believe it works."

If he can't stop Leigh Griffiths giving fans the finger then he is completely out of his depth.
    He has somewhat of a point there when you consider that video footage very rarely gets players off when they have done very little wrong. I wouldn't agree with everything he says there though but the general theme is sound enough.

He has somewhat of a point there when you consider that video footage very rarely gets players off when they have done very little wrong. I wouldn't agree with everything he says there though but the general theme is sound enough.

All the people moaning about the current system are those who are caught in open and shut cases. They want to go back to the old system of if the referee doesnt see it then its 'ok'. Last season, they wanted things the referee didnt see to be punished. They want whatever suits them at the time of the microphone being put in their face.

Thats the 3rd time that Griffiths has gestured fans, 3rd time done for it. Fenlon should be venting his anger at his player for being so stupid.

All the people moaning about the current system are those who are caught in open and shut cases. They want to go back to the old system of if the referee doesnt see it then its 'ok'. Last season, they wanted things the referee didnt see to be punished. They want whatever suits them at the time of the microphone being put in their face.

Thats the 3rd time that Griffiths has gestured fans, 3rd time done for it. Fenlon should be venting his anger at his player for being so stupid.
    You are right, no question about it. But at the same time, people who are found guilty by video evidence have a legitimate complaint that in different circumstances they'd find it very difficult to have an unfair punishment rescinded on video evidence. As Fenlon says there, if we are using retrospective video evidence it needs to be a 2 way thing or not at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Can guarantee that that is happening in the background.

Vent in background and support the player in public. especially a new manager. Hardly a complex managerial strategy.

Watched them recently and he is out of his depth, no chance he ever had such a **** team to manage. They are fcuking brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Watched them recently and he is out of his depth, no chance he ever had such a **** team to manage. They are fcuking brutal.
    I was speaking to a 'Hibbee' yesterday and he seems quite confident. Told him I'm going over to Easter Rd to watch Celtic give them a good going over, he said with some of the players they're bringing in that the fans are getting excited and can see them really turning the corner.
    I'm still wondering what drugs he was on, he did seem sure of his comments though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I said this before, but if Hibs bought Messi, Xavi and Iniesta in the morning we still be ****, it's just in the blood:pac::pac:

bohsman wrote: »
    Can guarantee that that is happening in the background.
    stovelid wrote: »
    Vent in background and support the player in public. especially a new manager. Hardly a complex managerial strategy.

He's already given a warning via the media

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16496190.stm

And after the 3rd time of doing the same mistake, gesturing his own fans, that approach makes no sense at this stage, imo

He's already given a warning via the media

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16496190.stm

And after the 3rd time of doing the same mistake, gesturing his own fans, that approach makes no sense at this stage, imo

begs the question is your man any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fantastic win today and if we can sort things out at the back we are going to stay up for sure.

6 goals away from home in last 2 games is impressive for a bottom side so fingers crossed we continue it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Good luck on Saturday Nutsy !

Advertisement