Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soarview in Rented Property

Options
  • 25-11-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi,

Hoping this is the correct forum for this topic.
    I live in a rented house, we currently receive our TV signal old skool through rabbit ears. The signal is crap and we are sick of it. We want to get soarview in.
    So my question is, should my landlord cough up the cost (part cost or total) of getting aerial on roof and any wiring/drilling etc that may need to be completed to receive saorview? Also should he provide set-top box?

Just looking to know where I stand here, I hope to move into my own home in about a year or two so dont want to spend money getting landlords house ready for soarview so the next tennant can benefit.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

RedRag

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Its not the landlords responsibility.

Explore different cheap solutions to get good reception. I'm able to pick it up pretty flawlessly but only by finding a sweet spot on the window sill to put the rabbit ears. I got the rabbit ears from Lidl for €8. There are powered which helps boost the signal I think.

I've also gotten a sky dish up in the full knowledge that I might want to move house at some stage (I rent currently) but I'll write it off it needs be. The future tenants can benefit from it and I receive some good karma

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have an attic? Put a decent aerial in it, and put a cable running from it to your TV? You can use cable ties to point the aerial correctly. Ensure you get a proper aerial that you can use in an attic, and you know where the nearest mast is - have one in this houses attic, and it gives a great signal, without having to get on top of the roof.

Best part: you can bring it with you when you move, and there's no drilling involved :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

the television not the channels you receive is none of the landlords business, and tv licence is also your own expense, that is why all long term lets do not have a tv, because the owner has to have a licence, but as a daughter of mine did got her own package, when she left the place, she brought it with her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

goat2 wrote: »
    the television not the channels you receive is none of the landlords business, and tv licence is also your own expense, that is why all long term lets do not have a tv, because the owner has to have a licence, but as a daughter of mine did got her own package, when she left the place, she brought it with her

It's actually the occupant's responsibility to pay for the tv licence, not the owner's. A lot of landlords don't provide televisions because tenants often have their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

RedRag wrote: »
    Hi,

Hoping this is the correct forum for this topic.
    I live in a rented house, we currently receive our TV signal old skool through rabbit ears. The signal is crap and we are sick of it. We want to get soarview in.
    So my question is, should my landlord cough up the cost (part cost or total) of getting aerial on roof and any wiring/drilling etc that may need to be completed to receive saorview? Also should he provide set-top box?

Just looking to know where I stand here, I hope to move into my own home in about a year or two so dont want to spend money getting landlords house ready for soarview so the next tennant can benefit.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

RedRag

Whilst the landlord has no responsibility to provide an aerial; I would expect the landlord to pay for this given that same is enhancing the property and IMO a fairly basic item to have in a property. Now it would be a bit different to ask the landlord to install a spa in the bathroom; he / she would be well entitled to tell you where to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

A good internal aerial should do the job for saorview unless you are in a bad spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedRag

TV licence doesn't come into this at all, I have a TV licence and I don't expect landlord to pay for that nor is it his responsibility.
    My point is similar to stepbar's in that this work will improve his house, I might try a soarview box with internal aerial and see how it goes.
    Thanks for all the replies anyway.

Redrag.

Advertisement