Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fencing for children

Options
  • 25-11-2011 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Does anyone know if there is a fencing club/school for children in Galway. I know there is a club in NUIG but that is for over 18s. my son is interested in the sport, hes a bit young yet, age 4, but I would like to find out if such a thing exists at all and if it does, to bring him to observe. Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭gerryg80

BFECS wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a fencing club/school for children in Galway. I know there is a club in NUIG but that is for over 18s. my son is interested in the sport, hes a bit young yet, age 4, but I would like to find out if such a thing exists at all and if it does, to bring him to observe. Thanks.

Dude,

the kids likes hitting stuff with a stick, not really sure if that equates to an interest in fencing... or maybe its Kenjutsu or kendo even.

My advice would be to get him involved in one of the many kids classes ran in gyms across the country, that teach functional movements etc in a fun way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Nothing wrong with a 4 year Old interested in "sword fighting", my nephew was at that age, and got some "light sabres" for Xmas. I dueled with him frequently and taught him a few Wudang moves. (Wudang Shan is famous for its sword "Jian" as Shaolin is famous for its staff)
    He became further interested in martial arts and joined a local tkd club that sparred regularly winning under 9s nationals at age 7 and 8 before he got into other sports.

Point being, This could be a gate way. If he sticks at it you could have an Olympic champion. If there's no fencing look for king fu willing to teach sword or sabre or kendo. At this age getting a feel for a few different styles would be fantastic for later skills.
    Even by a few plastic light sabres for Xmas and let him spar his mates. There's a Chinese king fu expression:
    "often when one plays with dragons he becomes a dragon himself!"

Advertisement