Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Judge rules that Irish people are stupid.

• 25-11-2011 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

Apparantely, Irish people are too stupid to tell the difference between these two products:

http://img.rasset.ie/0004cfa1-314.jpg

Let me be the first to say....this judge is a moron. How the **** could you not notice the big yellow & red Brennans logo? One has a photo of wheat and the other has a clipart style graphic of wheat. And they use totally different fonts in different sizes.

Full news story:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1125/mccambridge_brennans.html

And for people on crappy phones:
    Bread company McCambridge is entitled to an injunction Brennans over selling a brown bread product in packaging similar to that used by McCambridge, the High Court has ruled.

The court found such packaging is likely to confuse consumers.
    Mr Justice Michael Peart has adjourned to next week his decision on the terms of the injunction to allow both sides consider his finding.
    Declan McGrath, for Brennans, said they hoped to address the issue of a stay and other matters in correspondence with a view to allowing Brennans "come into compliance".
    In his judgment, the judge found Brennans' packaging was likely to confuse consumers but Brennans had made no deliberate attempt to imitate or copy the McCambridge packaging so as to gain market share or confuse the public.
    He believed Brennans and its advisers genuinely believed the placing of the Brennans name and logo and other features on the packaging would avoid confusion, the judge said.
    However, the consumers' first overall impression of the products was crucial and he was satisfied it would take more care and attention that could be reasonably attributed to the average shopper to avoid confusion between the McCambridge and Brennans products when observed on the shop shelf, especially when placed adjacently or even proximately so.
    The positioning of the identifiable Brennans colours of yellow and red, its logo, and other distinguishing features did not overcome that risk as such distinguishing features may not be clearly visible to purchasers and in any event do not stand out clearly, he said.
    McCambridge had sought the injunction against Brennans pending the outcome of a full hearing when other issues, including whether McCambridge is entitled to any damages, will be addressed.
    Today the judge indicated a view that, up to the time of the hearing before him some months ago, McCambridge had been unable to establish actual loss but also accepted he was addressing the issue of liability only in the hearing before him.
    In its action, McCambridge claimed Joseph Brennan Bakeries, trading as Brennans, had set out to intentionally confuse customers of McCambridge by deliberately copying the packaging of a well-established McCambridge brown bread product.
    McCambdrige, which sells Irish Stone-Ground Wholewheat Bread as a rectangular 500g ready-sliced loaf in plastic resealable packaging, argued there was a "a confusing similarity" between packaging introduced by Brennans in January last for its whole-wheat sliced bread and that of McCambridge's.
    Brennans denied the claims and contended its packaging was sufficiently distinctive from the McCambridge product.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Bit of a misleading thread title in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

While yes irish people are stupid, even i can tell the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I am livid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

ColHol wrote: »

Judge rules stupid people are stupid

Fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

People in general are stupid. Why should the Irish be any different?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

McCambridge brown bread is gorgeous I never confuse the 2.

But in general I agree with the OPs opinion, god love us, but us Irish are stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Looks like Brennan's won't be making any dough from this product!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

This is literally the worst thing i have ever heard of happening in the history of humanity. I am so angry I could shít a diamond.

not even the bread is sacred anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

Here Ill have a go at fucktard pun bingo...

The judge is inbread as he oat dough know that he should loaf Irish people alone.

AH pun-riddled thanks whores.
    Cunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Brennans have always been tight-lipped about where they get their ideas from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

any designer can see they are intentionally trying to copy them. its obvious they are different but the main parts of the package are designed in a way to intentionally mislead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

jester77 wrote: »

What a wheaty comment:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

McCambridge whilewheat soda bread is very tasty. No processed crap in it at all. It takes about 6 minutes to toast a slice. I think this is because the primary ingredient of it is buttermilk (over one third!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Personally, I believe it is a reasonable judgement. Brennan's advertising agency sailed a little too close to the wind and got caught out.:)

Those radio ads for Brennan's really get on my wick. I sometimes feel that if I won the Lotto jackpot, one of the really useful things I'd like to do would be take "aul Mister Brennan" to Paris for a few days, arrange a visit to a French bakery and let him see some real bread being made. Then I'd grab a big long crusty baton and ram it up his smart aul arse ---;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

jester77 wrote: »

That post will be panned by the critics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Saila wrote: »
    any designer can see they are intentionally trying to copy them. its obvious they are different but the main parts of the package are designed in a way to intentionally mislead

Me hole. Different font. Different shade of green. Lack of a photo. Big yellow Brennan logo.

A blind man could tell the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

It's a bit silly to pick out the slight differences in packaging. One company blatently copied the other's packaging in every way apart from those slight differences. They could have packaged it any way they liked but they chose to more or less clone another brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think you'd have to be stupid to think it was a coincidence both designs are so alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

McCambridge whilewheat soda bread is very tasty. No processed crap in it at all. It takes about 6 minutes to toast a slice. I think this is because the primary ingredient of it is buttermilk (over one third!).

Their barm bracks (a delight of Irish cuisine, albeit seasonal, that is unfortunately not well known abroad) are likewise delicious. :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I think the OP should get a job writing misleading, sensationalist, rubbish headlines for the Herald or one of those tabloidy types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Isn't Brennans usual policy to cover between 50 and 100% of a product in their yellow and red livery?
    Does seem strange that they chose such a different minimalist style of covering for this product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Take away the logo and the packaging and I, for one, would not be able to tell the difference between the two.

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Then I'd grab a big long crusty baton and ram it up his smart aul arse ---;);)

I knew the crusties would be in here somewhere.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    That post will be panned by the critics.

I thought that post was the best thing since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ColHol wrote: »

...the mans going for a job as a journo, give him a bit of space now.

Morlar wrote: »
    I thought that post was the best thing since

I bet there isn't a grain of truth in your post.:(

Hey, leavened it out.

...its just another of his half-baked notions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭EoghanConway

Take away the logo and the packaging and I, for one, would not be able to tell the difference between the two.

Or if they were upside down. Or if they were far enough away. Or if I had been sent to the shops with a vague description "it's the brown square one, with green wrapping and fancy writing".

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »
    Me hole. Different font. Different shade of green. Lack of a photo. Big yellow Brennan logo.

A blind man could tell the difference.

I said any designer I didnt say any body ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Obviously intentional and yes you can tell the difference. THe big issue is where the full package is not shown and you are in a hurry are you likely to make a mistake. Reasonable jugement people who can't see why I would consider stupid:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I rule this thread title to be misleading the public.

There's a lot of floury language in this thread.

Bit of a self-raising comment if you don't mind me saying so.

Yes, its difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff at this stage.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    Yes, its difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff at this stage.

I don't think that is a nice thing to say. I reckon as soon as a moderator gets here you are toast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

44leto wrote: »
    McCambridge brown bread is gorgeous I never confuse the 2.

But in general I agree with the OPs opinion, god love us, but us Irish are stupid

As if to prove the point, We Irish are. ;)

Brennan's is dry old muck, a cheap imitation. McCambridge's is a quality product. Well done to Michael McCambridge for successfully defending his patch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

What he said,

brand is about the use of colour and font and size of the packaging etc. Otherwise you could copy Kellogg's branding exactly and call it Kellogs.

Yahew rules that OP, and people who agreed with him are stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

When choosing a thread title, I was looking for something that would catch attention. Accuracy is irrelevant. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Personally, I believe it is a reasonable judgement. Brennan's advertising agency sailed a little too close to the wind and got caught out.:)

Those radio ads for Brennan's really get on my wick. I sometimes feel that if I won the Lotto jackpot, one of the really useful things I'd like to do would be take "aul Mister Brennan" to Paris for a few days, arrange a visit to a French bakery and let him see some real bread being made. Then I'd grab a big long crusty baton and ram it up his smart aul arse ---;);)
    Well said. What about 'aul mister Tayto' etc.
    'Aul Mr Brennan' is a marketing ploy to give the impression of a small, family run company, with a kindly old Dub who still looks after a little bakery he set up in the 1940's

• Advertisement

I said any designer I didnt say any body ;)

Who gives a crap. Designers are full of crap probably due to a lack of dietary fibre. To the consumer they are different. That's all that matters.

I rest on your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

If those two products were on the shelf side by side in such a way that the full labels couldn't be seen I could see how someone might pick up the Brennans bread accidentally.

I'm surprised Tesco hasn't had similar problems with Lucozade because of their Tesco Active energy drink.

stimpson wrote: »
    Who gives a crap. Designers are full of crap probably due to a lack of dietary fibre. To the consumer they are different. That's all that matters.

I rest on your face.

in that case your fanny becomes fair game :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Sheep like id say and if you look at Facebook news reel Saturday night it gets worse xfactor what purpose in life does it fulfil just slimeman cowels purse and waste life fook sake wantards

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

They only calling us stupid now because we overwhelmingly voted to cut the ridicolous pay they recieve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

And I got a warning..... Well! Now I'm backed up by a judge.

gcgirl wrote: »
    Sheep like id say and if you look at Facebook news reel Saturday night it gets worse xfactor what purpose in life does it fulfil just slimeman cowels purse and waste life fook sake wantards

:confused:

*ushers patient back to her room*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I dunno. This is farcical IMHO. A certain leading supermarket chain regularly releases own brand products where there is a striking "similarity" between the own brand and the leading product.

Amazingly I can still tell the difference between the two.:rolleyes:

in that case your fanny becomes fair game :cool:

Eh...that's not a fanny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

mathie wrote: »
    Here Ill have a go at fucktard pun bingo...

The judge is inbread as he oat dough know that he should loaf Irish people alone.

AH pun-riddled thanks whores.
    Cunts.
    *inferior pun alert*

• Advertisement
Advertisement