Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maths

• 25-11-2011 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Could anyone make a comparison in the difficulty between maths in third level and maths at lc for (1) science and (2) engineering please??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ClimberC

In science, the maths is more or less simular to that of the leaving cert. I had done ordinary maths and i thought that i would struggle at the maths in college, but i found it easier as what you do in a lecture actually has real life applications (you will use nearly all of the maths in the labs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I am in the first year of an engineering course , the maths module for me isnt in semester 2 but a lot of subjects in engineering will be maths/physics based, im not great at maths but the material and explanations of it so far have been great and im feeling very confident heading into the christmas exams.
    The one good thing about engineering subjects is the maths in them is very often used to solve a real world problem which helps with the understanding quite often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

I'm first year in a level 8 engineering couse OP, semester 1 maths so far is basically Leaving cert level with a few extra little things, we have complex numbers, matrices and vectors. The maths will get harder in semester 2 but the teachers are good and there is plenty of support available. In semester 1 (of Chemical, same goes for Biomed, structural and Mechanical) maths isn't the hardest subject.

semester 1 maths module

Semester 2 maths module

Advertisement