Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths

Options
  • 25-11-2011 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Could anyone make a comparison in the difficulty between maths in third level and maths at lc for (1) science and (2) engineering please??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

University maths topics tend to be more specific towards whatever discipline you're studying. They will also be far more detailed, and will cover stuff you've probably never even heard of at Leaving Certificate level.

Because many broadly related courses are often brought together for mathematics e.g. engineering, you may end up looking at topics that are only somewhat relevant to what you're studying e.g. Fourier analysis is very important to electronic engineers, but not so much for mechanical engineers (at undergraduate level anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

I'm doing the maths course in UL. Think of the jump from Junior Cert maths to Leaving Cert maths. Its the same for LC to university.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

PunkFreud wrote: »
    I'm doing the maths course in UL. Think of the jump from Junior Cert maths to Leaving Cert maths. Its the same for LC to university.

I thought that, then I got into second year Engineering... then third... then fourth. Kind of like the jump from junior to leaving cert every year.

But it's definitely possible to pass the exams without a large amount of work.

Advertisement