Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleas?

• 25-11-2011 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Just noticed that my boy has been licking at two or three hot spots on his back, and I managed to get a look at this just now. Is this a sign of fleas? He's never had them before, or behaved like this (obviously I'll go to the vet, just wanted to get an idea).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭antocann

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Just noticed that my boy has been licking at two or three hot spots on his back, and I managed to get a look at this just now. Is this a sign of fleas? He's never had them before, or behaved like this (obviously I'll go to the vet, just wanted to get an idea).

looks like somthing is iritating him , looks like it might be mights , or fleas , either way easily treated ,
    id advise gething a fle wash and spot on treatment , and maybe just take him to the vets to be on the safeside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Food can also cause them - a good few people here have had dogs break out in them after feeding Hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Well he's on the same food this years, so I doubt that's it. He's an indoor dog and used to be walked in a fully urban area where I used to live but now I've moved and he's getting walked in grassy areas, hence why I thought fleas. I'll get him the treatment anyway, can't do harm :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

It doesnt look like fleas or flea irritation to me. You'd generally see small black flecks (flea poo basically) dotted around his coat. There was a post a few weeks back that looked like warts (papillomas) and this looks quite similar. The yellow bulging bits on the left look like a new cluster of warts. It could also be a tick bite healing over or dermatitis. I wouldnt be rushing to the vet if this is the only spot. If it spreads or you find more patches then go. Apply sudocream for a few days (if he doesnt manage to lick it off) and see will it heal/dry it up.

anniehoo wrote: »
    It doesnt look like fleas or flea irritation to me. You'd generally see small black flecks (flea poo basically) dotted around his coat. There was a post a few weeks back that looked like warts (papillomas) and this looks quite similar. The yellow bulging bits on the left look like a new cluster of warts. It could also be a tick bite healing over or dermatitis. I wouldnt be rushing to the vet if this is the only spot. If it spreads or you find more patches then go. Apply sudocream for a few days (if he doesnt manage to lick it off) and see will it heal/dry it up.

There is some flea dirt around his groin, it's more noticable in the white parts of his coat, and the yellow thing is actually attached to one of his hairs, not the skin - I pulled it out and it popped between my fingers :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It looks to me like it could be the beginnings of ringworm, which can spread cross species. Keep the dog away from other dogs, kids etc. until you can be sure what is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

There is some flea dirt around his groin, it's more noticable in the white parts of his coat, and the yellow thing is actually attached to one of his hairs, not the skin - I pulled it out and it popped between my fingers :(
    Ok well that helps rule out warts then. Im going with a healing over tick bite to be honest with possible fleas secondary to this.Easily treated with Advantage for example.If it still persists then id be thinking allergies!Sure treat for fleas and go from there...

Took him to the local pet centre today, and the nice man also suggested fleas. Gave me a flea collar and a spray for the furniture. He's had it on an hour and hasn't bitten or licked himself yet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Hoover the areas the dog lies/sleeps as this will pick up flea eggs that can lie dormant for months and can re-infest the dog when the problem seemed to have been sorted.

Then repeat above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Took him to the local pet centre today, and the nice man also suggested fleas. Gave me a flea collar and a spray for the furniture. He's had it on an hour and hasn't bitten or licked himself yet :)
    I got a flea collar for my cat before and the vet said they don't really work as the fleas just migrate to a different part of the body, she got very dry skin from the bite so a couple of times a month I squeeze a cod liver oil capsule on her food.

• Advertisement
Advertisement