Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas early this year? 1000eu for pew pew pc.

Options
  • 25-11-2011 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

Long story short. I was planing on buying a house, but deal felt through ( second time now ), so me and misses are exhausted and annoyed from all " buying a house " experience and taking a break till spring. good news for me as i can heal my wounds with new PC :P.

So i will stop annoying you and ask you to help me out on this one.

1. What is your budget?
    unfortunatly 1000eu is max i can go, if i still want to "enjoy" misses shadowhearth :D

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Gaming, but it will have to have a good bit of ram, as i have 2 monitors and like to have video, browsers and all other crap on second screen while playing.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    Nope
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    I want a fresh biuld, i will keep my old pc for bedroom gaming.
    5. Do you need a monitor?
    No. i got 2 of them.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    1920x1080/1650x1080. i am fine with this for now.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    card reader( but not pushed for it, always can buy it later)

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    Yes

8. How can you pay?
    Credit card, paypal

9. When are you purchasing?
    Depends how good biuld is and how happy i am with setup. time wise planing to put down order next week.

Note: to make it simple - i need replacement for my good and trusted dell xps 420 q6600+6870. I got 2 monitors,5.1 speakers, mouse, keyboard,windows etc. i just need a gaming tower worth 1k eu. If possible with goodish PSU and CASE to future proof it. I REALLY dont want to use that german site. preferably something UKish where i could pay with VISA, not bank transfers etc.

thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

I'm sure it'll be said but if you have a decent hard drive already then maybe keep it.
    The prices of hard drives have trebled since Thailand flooded and production has slowed.
    Then use the money you save on an SSD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Shy_Dave! wrote: »
    I'm sure it'll be said but if you have a decent hard drive already then maybe keep it.
    The prices of hard drives have trebled since Thailand flooded and production has slowed.
    Then use the money you save on an SSD :D

i really dont want to break apart my little xps, it has only 2x320gb hard drives anyway. :( was thinking maybe getting some 500gb HDD for now, then upgrade it when they drop in price.

Jesus... no help so far, must be all in pub.

i started putting together few bits. it will be my first biuld so i just picked stuff from general knowladge. can we trim this up? i cant expect anything better then 2500k and some 6950.

NewBitmapImage.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Just got this case and it's lovely: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/fractal-design-define-xl-titanium-mid-tower-case-w-o-psu

Good compromise between sound proofing and cooling.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    How's this look?

Becoming quite the watercooling zealot aren't we? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

nesf wrote: »
    Becoming quite the watercooling zealot aren't we? :p

Ah shurup. :P

In a €1,000 build, there has to be water somewhere...

Ah shurup. :P

In a €1,000 build, there has to be water somewhere...

There's none in mine. :D

...yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

Jesus... no help so far, must be all in pub.

i started putting together few bits. it will be my first biuld so i just picked stuff from general knowladge. can we trim this up? i cant expect anything better then 2500k and some 6950.

NewBitmapImage.jpg

This is bang on man, was expecting to make lots of edits.

My only nit pick would be the case. I'm actually a fan of nzxt on the whole but I really really don't like the phantom, it's very cheaply made for the price you're paying. You'd be better off going the the HAF 922 or even the nzxt beta evo IMO.

Also, if you buy a cheaper case for say £50 ish, you'll be able to bump up the card to a 570.

Is it me or there is no hdd in this setup? Only ssd? I like case, but psu is a bit low. Wouldn't I be better off with 6970 if I am spending 300eu on gpu?

• Advertisement

This is bang on man, was expecting to make lots of edits.

My only nit pick would be the case. I'm actually a fan of nzxt on the whole but I really really don't like the phantom, it's very cheaply made for the price you're paying. You'd be better off going the the HAF 922 or even the nzxt beta evo IMO.

Also, if you buy a cheaper case for say £50 ish, you'll be able to bump up the card to a 570.

Thanks. My first time trying to bulk up something ;)

Anyway. Is that mobo will do with some overclocking? And which brands are better these days? I won't mind crossfire in near future too.

I checked this case a few times on YouTube and it looked prety good. I like all the trays and space inside. 3 fans and fan speed regulator looks handy. Any alternative you could find in scan for me m8?

What I linked comes up to a bit over 900eu, so i am between upgrading gpu to 6970 or small ssd.

What about the rest? Will I need some extra stuff? I don't want to get all that delivered and find out in the middle of biulding that I forgot some cable or "glue" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If you're shopping with scan, the Antec truepower new 650W is £62 which is a pretty good price.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-psu-antec-truepower-new-modular-82eff-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx

The Phantom is an excellent case; most sites I've seen gave it very good reviews.

There isn't a HDD in that build I posted, I figured you could use the SSD, and pick up a couple of 250GB HDDs on Adverts for €20 instead.

The PSU actually isn't a bit low, it'll power the build fine. 750W would only be useful if you're planning on adding a second 6950.

See my sig? I was going to go for a 600W PSU, the only reason I got 700 is because it was on sale for €2 more expensive than the 600W version. You'll be fine with 550W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Scan also have a nice few seasonic psu's at good prices, I just picked up one from them last week and there top quality, highly recommended.

The Phantom is an excellent case; most sites I've seen gave it very good reviews.

There isn't a HDD in that build I posted, I figured you could use the SSD, and pick up a couple of 250GB HDDs on Adverts for €20 instead.

The PSU actually isn't a bit low, it'll power the build fine. 750W would only be useful if you're planning on adding a second 6950.

See my sig? I was going to go for a 600W PSU, the only reason I got 700 is because it was on sale for €2 more expensive than the 600W version. You'll be fine with 550W.

i am planing on going crossfire later after few months and hopefully have eyefinity by that time too. plus 750w will keep me from annoyance of swaping psu later.

i think i will have to go with scan as i like idea of 2 day delevery and fixed date for delevery. prices there look good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

They do have a great selection and they use dpd who a pretty good as well.

okay lads, i tryed it again, because my last basket was gone...

NewBitmapImage-1.jpg

it comes at 930eu, so i still got around 100eu to spend.

can anyone check it out and tell me if i missed out something or i did an error?

plus, do i spend 100eu on ssd or upgrade gpu to 6970?

i am not ATI fanboy, i just found them be best at price/performance ratio. i cant afford 580 etc.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/64gb-crucial-realssd-m4-25-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-mlc-flash-read-500mb-s-write-95mb-s-new-version

I'd get that instead. The Agility 3 series, while great on specs, doesn't have a great track record when it comes to reliability.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/64gb-crucial-realssd-m4-25-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-mlc-flash-read-500mb-s-write-95mb-s-new-version

I'd get that instead. The Agility 3 series, while great on specs, doesn't have a great track record when it comes to reliability.

Is it? Jesus, will have to swap so. What about the rest of the biuld? I am really noob with mobos. Will any z68 let me overclock it? Will the one I choose is good?

• Advertisement

sup. somehow magicly you are just going around my thread, where i am biulding my own pc, but i hope OP wont mind if i ask you here.

the mobo you linked is cheaper and has PCIe 3.0? more support for different ram etc. would i be better off with the mobo you linked then this one?
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-z68a-gd55-(b3)-2-x-pci-e-x16-sli-and-crossfire-x-ready-4xddr3-up-to-32gb#ProductFeatures

The cheaper board, despite having two slots, the second one only runs at x4 (PCI-E 2, I think). Given that you were thinking of two cards and you want the PCI-E 3, I recommend this one instead.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-z68a-gd55-(g3)-pcie-30-intel-z68-s-1155-ddr3-sata-6gb-s-raid-sata-pcie-30-(x16)-vga-on-board-atx

Monotype wrote: »
    The cheaper board, despite having two slots, the second one only runs at x4 (PCI-E 2, I think). Given that you were thinking of two cards and you want the PCI-E 3, I recommend this one instead.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-z68a-gd55-(g3)-pcie-30-intel-z68-s-1155-ddr3-sata-6gb-s-raid-sata-pcie-30-(x16)-vga-on-board-atx

thank you, i checked that mobo as soon as i sow your post in other thread. updated my basket. updated the ssd too.

can you check it out and see if i am missing something or needs to be changed? if i order this, will it all play along together nicely? i took i5 2500k OEM version. Apart it not having the sink, is there anything else it will be missing? i dont need it anyway as i am going for different cooling setup anyway, am i right? do i need some extra cables or thermal paste?

heres final list.

NewBitmapImage-2.jpg

thank you, i checked that mobo as soon as i sow your post in other thread. updated my basket. updated the ssd too.

can you check it out and see if i am missing something or needs to be changed? if i order this, will it all play along together nicely? i took i5 2500k OEM version. Apart it not having the sink, is there anything else it will be missing? i dont need it anyway as i am going for different cooling setup anyway, am i right? do i need some extra cables or thermal paste?

heres final list.

NewBitmapImage-2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsDFs4OGMTs
    Link to a Phantom case review, it's what put me off originally and I've mate a mate who's bought one since and verytihng they've said here holds true. It's not a "bad" case, I think it's just way overpriced for the build quality and features.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-haf-912-plus-black-mid-tower-case-w-o-psu
    This is much better value for what you get, has exactly everything you will need and frees up money you can spend on something else.

Put that extra £35 into picking the 570 or 6970.
    Also, my advice would be to avoid Xfire or SLI, in some situations it may seem cheaper, but they're a LOT more powerhungry and suffer from driver issues and micro-stutter, many games fail to support thosee setups also and leave you with one gfx card. Though on paper it seems you get double the power, it normally actually works out to more like 1.5x the power due to many reasons. If you buy a 560ti or 6950 now and then later want to upgrade, go and buy a €300 card in say a year or two. I reccomend sticking to single GPU setups myself.

If you have a hard-drive yourself that's 500gigs or more, just use that for now. HDD prices are way crazy at the moment and you can cut more money from that and psend it elsewhere (better ram, better gpu or ssd, etc).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsDFs4OGMTs
    Link to a Phantom case review, it's what put me off originally and I've mate a mate who's bought one since and verytihng they've said here holds true. It's not a "bad" case, I think it's just way overpriced for the build quality and features.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-haf-912-plus-black-mid-tower-case-w-o-psu
    This is much better value for what you get, has exactly everything you will need and frees up money you can spend on something else.

Put that extra £35 into picking the 570 or 6970.
    Also, my advice would be to avoid Xfire or SLI, in some situations it may seem cheaper, but they're a LOT more powerhungry and suffer from driver issues and micro-stutter, many games fail to support thosee setups also and leave you with one gfx card. Though on paper it seems you get double the power, it normally actually works out to more like 1.5x the power due to many reasons. If you buy a 560ti or 6950 now and then later want to upgrade, go and buy a €300 card in say a year or two. I reccomend sticking to single GPU setups myself.

If you have a hard-drive yourself that's 500gigs or more, just use that for now. HDD prices are way crazy at the moment and you can cut more money from that and psend it elsewhere (better ram, better gpu or ssd, etc).

i looked at that review, and hose two lads look like proper idiots. Even the way they were handling that case... remined me of this fella:

i think i will keep the case as its huge and has extra cooling. i wont need to bother about case for ages. i am coming from xps420 which served me 5 years, so i want something more expencive now, but have it for good awile.

i am taking note on gpu part thought. i was always a single gpu fanboy, but when i was biulding this i just wanted to go out all ghetto while i can.

what if i would go with that original board that monotype linked and go for 6970? i will still have my PCIe 3.0?

i cant reuse my old hdds as my old pc will go to bedroom. media centre and gaming now and then on 42inch telly. thats why i am going with small 500gb now, when prices will drop i will go for proper one.

okay, made one more version of biuld. this one is cheaper mobo, but still with PCIe 3.0 + gtx 570

1gpuversion.jpg

Oold setup with sli ready mobo, but worse 6950 gpu

NewBitmapImage-2.jpg

any ideas lads?

It's all taste in the end man, if you're happy with the case and like it, that's what matters, go for it!

The build looks really solid, can't fault anything.

650W would be enough for overclocking with two 6950s or one 570.

There's a G45 board as well which looks good and well priced, but it's out of stock at scan, and probably will be for a while. If you order elsewhere, it might be worth taking a look to see if it's in stock.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-z68a-g45-(g3)-intel-z68-s-1155-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-atx

Monotype wrote: »
    650W would be enough for overclocking with two 6950s or one 570.

There's a G45 board as well which looks good and well priced, but it's out of stock at scan, and probably will be for a while. If you order elsewhere, it might be worth taking a look to see if it's in stock.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-z68a-g45-(g3)-intel-z68-s-1155-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-atx

650w psu is only 10£ less then 750w, for the extra peace of mind in near/far future i get something with legroom.

that mobo looks great, but out of stock since nov11.

So i got 2 biulds here now. i might go for better mobo, but i am questioning myself if i will even use sli/crossfire... so far it looks like good only if you got lots of money to spend. wheres single gpu mobo looks a bit limited, but i will get way better gpu.

i have already transfered money on visa today, so it should be properly transfered by tue/wed.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MakeNine

there's a modular version of that Corsair PSU, not sure about the price difference though. I'd prefer to have removable cables, much more convenient!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

If you are worried about airflow have a look at the Coolermaster HAF 932. It's a very good case and it comes from their (H)igh (A)ir (F)low range and are very good at keeping temps down. Here's a link. It's only a fiver more and the HAF also comes with bigger fans pre-installed. Of course it depends on your personal aesthetic taste.

Advertisement