Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone with me?

• 25-11-2011 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

all the gta's bar san andreas were kinda boring and overrated when you think about it.

GTA 3-blew my mind at the time but looking back there was a lot wrong with it but id put it prob second in the series

vice city-**** map, good atmsophere but i couldnt tell you anything from it, except the main lad was tommy vercetti and ken rosenborg, i just remember it being so tedious.

san andreas-PERFECT, at the start i thought it was kinda boring but then it just came into its own, the best gta there has been and i really believe the southern californian environment on next gen will help gta v take over the title as best game.

gta iv- :rolleyes: i liked niko packie and a few others but what a lifeless drag of a city, star junction defined the game for me, no peds no cars just lifeless.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

EdenHazard wrote: »
    gta iv- :rolleyes: i liked niko packie and a few others but what a lifeless drag of a city, star junction defined the game for me, no peds no cars just lifeless.
    The city was far from lifeless, maybe your game was broken because I'd say start junction was the opposite. I don't get all this GTA IV hate, it's all unfounded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You're missing GTA, GTA London and GTA 2 from your list.

I had far more fun with the original GTA when it was released than San Andreas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Weren't there 2 GTA London versions?

Massively disappointed that kill frenzy's from the first two games weren't kept.

I think the main reason GTA IV wasn't as liked is because it was missing a lot of the bat **** crazy aspects of previous games, they focused too much on bringing realism into the game.
    Even weaponry, why would you remove over two thirds of the guns of the previous game? Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Justin10

I loved GTA liberty city and San Andres.
    Vice city was ok, could of been a great game.

I think the main reason GTA IV wasn't as liked is because it was missing a lot of the bat **** crazy aspects of previous games, they focused too much on bringing realism into the game.
    I'd allow them that though, I think the only thing GTA IV really had going against it was the heritage of the GTA series. We expect so much from the GTA series that it's impossible to match the expectations of people that only have those expectations because of the GTA series.

Playing Driver San Francisco and other sand box games they just don't come close to GTA IV, I'd really like to see any game that comes close to IV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

ScumLord wrote: »
    The city was far from lifeless, maybe your game was broken because I'd say start junction was the opposite. I don't get all this GTA IV hate, it's all unfounded.

wrong, do u have any idea how busy times square is in real life? it wasnt rockstars fault it was console limitations but that should have been a bustling metropolosis, instead we see bout 15 range rovers in the middle of new york city talk about stupid.

i get that the city is a dull place because well new york is a dull grey concrete jungle but its just so overrated

wrong, do u have any idea how busy times square is in real life? it wasnt rockstars fault it was console limitations but that should have been a bustling metropolosis, instead we see bout 15 range rovers in the middle of new york city talk about stupid.

i get that the city is a dull place because well new york is a dull grey concrete jungle but its just so overrated
    That explains it then, I'm playing on Pc with more traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

exactly man ive seen some mods as well that make it much better such as an increase in number of taxis and the likes, i havent played pc to see what its like but on console really does ruin the atmosphere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

But GTA 4 was set in Liberty City, not the actual New York City.

CMpunked wrote: »
    But GTA 4 was set in Liberty City, not the actual New York City.

Ah that's a pretty poor excuse though. Clearly they're trying to mimic NYC as closely as they can, and I have to agree with the OP, that the lack of traffic and people around what would usually be busy areas in the city is a bit crap.

I actually spent a long enough time moaning and complaining about this exact thing before the game came out. As far as I recall, the IV ads show Times Square being jam packed, but when the gameplay footage came out, there was little traffic anywhere.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do understand that a heavily packed area, crammed with traffic and pedestrians would mke for a pretty poor place to get a Police chase and such, but that'd be a good thing in the long run to me (knowing that if you're in a rush, you have to try to avoid certain areas at certain times and such).

GTA IV is an amazing game and the best in the series in my opinion (though I loved each game up to it, too, of course) but it doesn't really have a whole lot of atmosphere, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

No, I'm not with you at all Sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I have liked all the GTA's so far as each has had something different to offer. Whether it was ridiculous humour, fabulous citys, great cars etc.

The only one I did not think was great was London. It was pretty much GTA with a new skin on it. Also the tanks were yellow for some reason.

I cannot speak for anyone else here but I am really looking forward to the next game.
    Now Rockstar have shown us they can do silly, they can do serious, they can do great open spaces, incredibly detailed areas, fun vehicles, fun weapons. Maybe the next game will be their attempt at putting it all in one game. Next year already seems too far away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 538 ✭✭✭little big planet 2

i agree they are overrated but by no means boring because we wouldn't still talking about it now if it was

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭fusuf

IMO GTA IV was a huge let down. They really took a step backwards with it apart from graphics and physics (those were superb). I loved niko, he was my favourite character out of the games I played (GTA III - GTA IV). I felt the game lacked the fun gameplay and atmosphere that San Andreas was so great for. The map was dull and boring, secondary characters were lame. They improved the game a bit with Ballad of Gay Tony but not as much as I'd of liked.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

fusuf wrote: »
    IMO GTA IV was a huge let down. They really took a step backwards with it apart from graphics and physics (those were superb). I loved niko, he was my favourite character out of the games I played (GTA III - GTA IV). I felt the game lacked the fun gameplay and atmosphere that San Andreas was so great for. The map was dull and boring, secondary characters were lame. They improved the game a bit with Ballad of Gay Tony but not as much as I'd of liked.

Aye. Brief but fair assessment of IV. I really like TBOGT however, and I'd like to think that it was an admission by Rockstar that they messed up with IV and it's missing fun factor. Hopefully feedback for it, which was overall well received compared to IV will have shown them that the fans demand those wacky elements of GTA games past.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 xxtallaghtxx

Aye. Brief but fair assessment of IV. I really like TBOGT however, and I'd like to think that it was an admission by Rockstar that they messed up with IV and it's missing fun factor. Hopefully feedback for it, which was overall well received compared to IV will have shown them that the fans demand those wacky elements of GTA games past.

I hope to god this man is right, but you have to remember the tight rope Rockstar had to walk in that game. Its the fact that they probably felt the need to go back to "new york" and do a decent game, all of us remember the controversy the game pulled up during the release and shortly afterwards.
    Could you imagine the ****storm that would have ensued had it featured crazy over the top (easily linked to terrorism by fox news) missions? or christ if it included PLANES? we'd still be hearing about it....
    So relax my friends, unless some major terrorist action or the like happens in "san andreas" expect a quality game.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

I disagree OP, GTA IV was brilliant!

Sure San Andreas had all the bells and whistles but it covered up a story that was all over the place and sometimes made no sense!

GTA IV had an emotional and slightly realistic approach and that made some gamers hate the game! Unfortunately R* was worried about losing these fans so they made the Ballad of Gay Tony gameplay to cater for these fans!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 538 ✭✭✭little big planet 2

whats the bogt got that makes its so wacky and mad yeah it fun buts not all that different iv, is it the sex or the mitary helo or the mad missions that yusef gives you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

whats the bogt got that makes its so wacky and mad yeah it fun buts not all that different iv, is it the sex or the mitary helo or the mad missions that yusef gives you

Advertisement