Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting off train

• 25-11-2011 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Dear After Hours,

Could you please explain to me why some people on trains get up and stand at the door (ready to press or sometimes pressing the button) good 2-3 minutes before the train actually stops or even approaches the station? It's been mystery to me, I see it every single morning while travelling to work - can anyone enlighten me: what do they want to achieve?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Too get off the train quicker?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

A lot of people are fcuckschites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

On the Cork to Dublin train, some people get up for the door at around Kildare - looks well culchie-ish! :pac:

Nah, probably so that they can get ahead of the queues for taxis etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you can't figure it out for yourself then you don't deserve to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I do it because 90% of people in this country are very very slow walkers and I hate being stuck behind them. Then all the smoking addicts that have to light up straight away further blocking the way and then having to breath in their sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

wolf moon wrote: »
    Dear After Hours,

Could you please explain to me why some people on trains get up and stand at the door (ready to press or sometimes pressing the button) good 2-3 minutes before the train actually stops or even approaches the station? It's been mystery to me, I see it every single morning while travelling to work - can anyone enlighten me: what do they want to achieve?

Premature evacuation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

When I get up to stand at the door it's usually because I'm not sure where I am or how long it will be until we reach the next/my stop. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

walking down the stairs at Tara Street station seems to be a mental challenge for most people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

I do it because 90% of people in this country are very very slow walkers and I hate being stuck behind them. Then all the smoking addicts that have to light up straight away further blocking the way and then having to breath in their sh1te.

Ladies and gentlemen - it seems we have a winner!
    Exactly my thoughts after I leave the train and before I get to the office!

There we go AH's, I knew you wont fail me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Biggins wrote: »
    Premature evacuation?

It can happen to the best of us!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Keith186 wrote: »
    It can happen to the best of us!

Tell me about it! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Strange thread ><

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

If you don't know the answer your probably part of the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

walking down the stairs at Tara Street station seems to be a mental challenge for most people

I know it's shocking. We need a system like in London, where all the slow asses keep to the left and allowing people that have a purpose in life to get where they are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Dear After Hours,

I do that...normally i do it after a long journey as my legs are bollixed from being in a seat designed for midgets and i want to give them a bit of an auld stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I start making a move when the electronic voice man tells me we're nearing my stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭HLecter

I just hang back maybe a minute or two and wait for all the dumbass public to clear out of my way.
    They rush ahead bumping and grunting.
    Then I get off and walk at the correct pace (i.e mine).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Strange thread ><

Every thread on AH is strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

HLecter wrote: »
    I just hang back maybe a minute or two and wait for all the dumbass public to clear out of my way.
    They rush ahead bumping and grunting.
    Then I get off and walk at the correct pace (i.e mine).

I find that a right pain at Heuston in the mornings, as soon as you disembark the train your caught up in a wave of humanity rolling at pace towards the ticket barriers, I'm usually a bit dopey in the mornings and have nearly been pushed off the platform on a few occasions.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Depends where you are stopping. If its the last stop I wont budge until the car is nearly empty, just like I do with planes. Im in no rush. However if you are in a rush then its more understandable.
    If its not the last stop then the train only usually stops for less than 30 seconds where I get off so if I wasn't to go to the door a few mins before hand I would prob miss my stop.

Why is this such a big deal anyway? Let people do whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I just do it to irritate the city folk. Then I step off but stop just outside the door looking around, blocking everyone's exit.
    lololol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

I'm afraid I'll get stuck on the train/bus/dart whatever and I'll miss the stop and the doors will close and I'll be trapped inside!

True story...many years ago I used to travel from Dublin to Kildare every weekend. On one particular occasion the train up to Dublin was the 'new' types, with push buttons to open the doors instead the old way of opening the window and opening the door from the outside. My first time to see this.

Anyhow, as the train was pulling into Houston Station the light for the door came on and as I was standing right there I pushed it and yup, the door opened, the train was still moving, slowly, but moving and I fell right out, landed on my knees on -thank fug- the platform - right in front of some barriers where other passengers were waiting and a station guard who all looked rather surprised.

So embarrassed, I just picked myself up and kept walking, my boyfriend was on the train with me but a little bit behind, he said everyone that was waiting at the door just all turned and looked at him as I disappeared.

The next time I used the train the light for the door didn't come on till the train was stopped as is the way now of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭HLecter

I find that a right pain at Heuston in the mornings, as soon as you disembark the train your caught up in a wave of humanity rolling at pace towards the ticket barriers, I'm usually a bit dopey in the mornings and have nearly been pushed off the platform on a few occasions.:pac:

Yep, just allow for 2 minutes in your morning. You probably don't even lose out because they bumble both inside the station and on the streets and roads outside.
    Its my way of not wanting to kick them all up the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

just the same on planes, the second the light goes out, they are all jockeying for position and then stand there for 5 minutes. Then I pass them all out whilst they wait for their bags. Cretins.

Last time I flew, some old wan pushed passed me to get to the door and when she got to the bottom of the steps, she turned to talk to her husband who was no longer behind her and then stood there in my way, she nearly got my bag up her chuff for her trouble....

It's the same boarding, they queue for 15 minutes before boarding..so long as it isnt RyanAir or similar and you have a seat number, who cares when you get on...I have another cup of tea and relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I was on the connolly-sligo train to go to maynooth last wednesday to go to college, and the people across the aisle may as well have had culchie tattooed on their foreheads. An elderly couple with their little bags of ham sandwiches and identical paper cups of coffee, strategically sat beside the bin (I noticed this when the elderly man - with a smug head on him - reached behind him to put his paper coffee cup in the bin, though he had a bit of trouble getting it in :pac: his face said 'this was meant to be easier'). They were obviously on their way home after their annual day out in dublin, probably doing their christmas shopping.

Jesus, you're on what you would consider to be a day out! Buy your food on the train at least, they had a good menu on each table. I bet they stood up once they passed longford :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Fbjm wrote: »
    Buy your food on the train at least, they had a good menu on each table. I bet they stood up once they passed longford :rolleyes:

Train food is rotten tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

I am guilty of getting to the door of the DART a few minutes before the stop. I do this because getting up the stairs at the stop is the difference between getting into work before 9am and getting in after it due to the length of the queue for the shuttle bus at the station.

I feel such shame for trying to get to work on time :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

Another thing.

At mass (I'm bringing my mother) there are loads of people sitting on stone and marble fittings at the extreme side or back of the church.
    Why not sit in a normal seat? If you're there at all you might as well be a bit more comfortable than being perched on a stone step miles from the altar.
    And then people leave early. Why bother going at all?

Nowt as strange as folk.

I am guilty of getting to the door of the DART....
    I feel such shame
    No one said it's bad or that one should feel guilty. Read my post again.

I am simply asking what drives people to stand at the train door for 2 minutes, where (in some cases) there is no huge crowd around. It's not happening only in the morning, in Dart full of people rushing to work.

And what one wants to achieve by holding/pressing this damn button when the train is still moving pretty fast I still cannot understand. The train will not stop.

Note: your sarcasm and attempted irony is appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I do that and I do it on the Luas, I want to be the one to press the button, it makes me feel powerful and that makes my willy feel good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

No one said it's bad or that one should feel guilty. Read my post again.

I am simply asking what drives people to stand at the train door for 2 minutes, where (in some cases) there is no huge crowd around. It's not happening only in the morning, in Dart full of people rushing to work.

And what one wants to achieve by holding/pressing this damn button when the train is still moving pretty fast I still cannot understand. The train will not stop.

Note: your sarcasm and attempted irony is appreciated.
    ......I see it every single morning while travelling to work - can anyone enlighten me: what do they want to achieve?

Those people just want to push the button.....it's fun! :)

Those people just want to push the button.....it's fun! :)

Now it's making more sense :)

I lean on the button when approaching the stop (though I only get up when the train is actually pulling into the station), I know I'm going to have to reach over there and press it, so I just lean on it to keep my balance as the train is stopping!

Encountered some people who seem not to be able to find the damn button, they'll stand in front of it, waiting for the doors to magically open, scowling at everyone around who is looking at them expectantly. Have just walked down the carriage and used the other doors, on occasion. Seems to be a lot of these people travelling to Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I've a tendency to do this on the Luas myself for fear of missing my stop.
    I was on the connolly-sligo train to go to maynooth last wednesday to go to college, and the people across the aisle may as well have had culchie tattooed on their foreheads. An elderly couple with their little bags of ham sandwiches and identical paper cups of coffee, strategically sat beside the bin (I noticed this when the elderly man - with a smug head on him - reached behind him to put his paper coffee cup in the bin, though he had a bit of trouble getting it in :pac: his face said 'this was meant to be easier'). They were obviously on their way home after their annual day out in dublin, probably doing their christmas shopping.

How is any of that "culchie"?
    Jesus, you're on what you would consider to be a day out! Buy your food on the train at least, they had a good menu on each table. I bet they stood up once they passed longford :rolleyes:

You obviously didn't look at the prices... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Niles wrote: »
    I've a tendency to do this on the Luas myself for fear of missing my stop.

How is any of that "culchie"?

You obviously didn't look at the prices... :rolleyes:

Sandwiches on the train? It's the whole GAA match boot of the car thing obviously!

I did look at the prices, 4 euro for any sandwich/roll, a euro for a bar. Not exactly breaking the bank :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I wondered that too,until you get stuck behind the slowest walkers ever and you can't get by there is so many and nearly end up being late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I did look at the prices, 4 euro for any sandwich/roll, a euro for a bar. Not exactly breaking the bank :rolleyes:

which train do you be getting.on the arrow line its nearly 2euro for a 330ml can of coke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

4 euro for any sandwich/roll,

FFS one can buy two whole loaves of bread for that.

No recession in your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

I can never understand why people press the button for the lift more than once.

When you press it once, it lights up, indicating that it's on its way.

What do people think, that the more times you press it the quicker the lift comes?

coonecb1 wrote: »
    I can never understand why people press the button for the lift more than once.

When you press it once, it lights up, indicating that it's on its way.

What do people think, that the more times you press it the quicker the lift comes?

I've a habit of doing that with pedestrian lights, despite knowing that it has no extra effect whatsoever. I guess it's compulsive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I know it's shocking. We need a system like in London, where all the slow asses keep to the left and allowing people that have a purpose in life to get where they are going.

****ing escalators. If you're on an escalator, stand to the left, this frees up space so people who are in a rush can walk down the escalator. Everyone wins!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm obviously one of the few people left that still thinks €4 for a sandwich is a bloody rip off.

which train do you be getting.on the arrow line its nearly 2euro for a 330ml can of coke

I remember last year Rail Gourmet had a limited time "special offer" of a can of mineral + a packet of crisps for €2 - despite the fact that that's the normal price in many shops - you couldn't make this stuff up, though I wish I had.

Why anyone who knows their prices still chooses to purchase stuff like this on the train when they can just get in a shop before hand is beyond me.

If you're on an elevator, stand to the left, this frees up space so people who are in a rush can walk down the elevator.
    You don't walk down an elevator. You stand on an elevator..
    You walk down an escalator. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Niles wrote: »
    I remember last year Rail Gourmet had a limited time "special offer" of a can of mineral + a packet of crisps for €2 - despite the fact that that's the normal price in many shops - you couldn't make this stuff up, though I wish I had.

Why anyone who knows their prices still chooses to purchase stuff like this on the train when they can just get in a shop before hand is beyond me.

convenience- not everyone has time to pop to the shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Posy wrote: »

Duly noted, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

I hate when people go crazy to get on the train and don't give the people on the train a chance to get off. You'd swear the Nazis were coming to eradicate those standing in the aisle and you had to get a seat.

I'm not a 'culchie' and I would much rather make a nice lot of sandwiches with lovely batch bread and leftover roast chicken/ham etc than pay nearly a tenner for two sandwiches on a train.
    However, if I didn't have any food with me and was just after getting on a train and was starving, I would pay the rip-off prices, as efb said, for convenience.

There are people on my bus every morning that get up, and stand there, crammed like sardines, for 3-4 minutes waiting for the city centre stop. I don't get that at all, it does not make any difference. There's always so many getting off that I don't even have to get up until the bus actually stops and I usually end up standing at the traffic lights beside the same people who were nearly crushed waiting to get off. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Sandwiches on the train? It's the whole GAA match boot of the car thing obviously!

There were two of them, going up and down from Sligo for the day. A €4 sambo and €1 bar each on the way up, and the same on the way down for two people makes €20. Half a loaf and enough ham for 4 sambos and a multipack of bars is about €5-€6. Nice saving, enough for 4 pints when they get home (culchie prices).

Posy wrote: »

Just call it a lift. It avoids confusion.;)

Advertisement