Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1800W ROK Bench Saw... reviews???

• 25-11-2011 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hi

My partner works with wood an awful lot. He makes animal housing (chicken coops, hutches, sheds etc) and also makes window boxes and the like. He's been using a hand saw, a skill saw and a bench chop saw....my mum spotted a ROK sliding bench saw in woodies in Cavan (advertised as
    P_1800W_BENCH_SAW_1.jpg
    spacer.gif
    spacer.gif1800W ROK Bench Saw. We have looked and looked for reviews for ROK power tools on the net and found nothing! Does anyone in here have any info on the brand? It seems to be a budget brand for woodies, am i wrong? Im asking because he will be using it a lot ( on his own which is quite scary! :D) and bieng the concerned woman i just need to know if it will be up to scratch and if it will last (and not come apart and chop off his hands) any info would be great...Thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭yenoah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭Alkers

I used to work in Woodies and we were always told by management that ROK was a Woodies knock off of old Black and Decker models. They were always very cheap. I would say they are fine if it is going to be used occasionally but not up to the job if it is to be used regularly. That being said the only actual personal experience I have with ROK tools is with screwdrivers, great to buy a cheap set that covers all circumstances but any of them that get used regularly wear away very quickly and start to damage the screws you are removing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

moondaisy wrote: »
    hi

My partner works with wood an awful lot. He makes animal housing (chicken coops, hutches, sheds etc) and also makes window boxes and the like. He's been using a hand saw, a skill saw and a bench chop saw....my mum spotted a ROK sliding bench saw in woodies in Cavan (advertised as
    P_1800W_BENCH_SAW_1.jpg
    spacer.gif
    spacer.gif1800W ROK Bench Saw. We have looked and looked for reviews for ROK power tools on the net and found nothing! Does anyone in here have any info on the brand? It seems to be a budget brand for woodies, am i wrong? Im asking because he will be using it a lot ( on his own which is quite scary! :D) and bieng the concerned woman i just need to know if it will be up to scratch and if it will last (and not come apart and chop off his hands) any info would be great...Thanks...

What type of bench chop saw does he already have? He may not need another
    anyway

I bought the smaller fixed one on special offer at 44 Euro and it's taken alot of abuse,
    it's used for quick rough cuts.

If I was to buy again I would buy the bigger version you refer to.

They did come with a 3 year domestic use warranty which is a good backup.
    It could also be easily for sale at 50% off after Christmas if you're unsure

One note of caution men can be tool snobs and will stick to buying certain brands
    Dewalt (specifically an Irish thing), Makita, Hitachi and so on, these
    brands produce professional quality tools at professional prices circa 400 and
    up.

If he's a tool snob he'll probably have expensive stuff that's hardly used if
    not this will be a great present for small projects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

I don't know much about the ROK but it is a budget brand and you get what you pay for but i have used them a bit and as i was very disappointed with them.
    I also make the same type of things as your partner and i don't know how he manages without a chop/mitre saw.
    I use this and it's very good indeed, more money than the ROK but it should last many years. Cheaper in the long run.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-LS1040-260mm-Mitre-Saw-240V-/290607448838?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item43a98dc306#ht_733wt_1398

Advertisement