Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

think ive found the best indian take away in south dublin!

Options
  • 25-11-2011 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone tried masala take away in crumlin on kimmage road west?
    Food is amazing and very tasty. Anyone else got any indian favourites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

What did you have

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Is it a secret

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Sorry about the delay! No internet service-but thats a different story!
    I had chicken dehranduni, the wife had tandori butter chicken. Add that to pilau rice, portion of chips, and garlic and corriander naan breads. Really good.:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I got a take away from this place tonight, on foot of this thread. I decided I better play it safe with chicken tikka masala seeing as I didn't know too much about the place. When I rang it in, the guy on the phone was extremely difficult to understand and had a lot of difficulty following what I was saying, so I was a bit cagey about it all. I asked how long it would be- he said "oh, it will be 30 minutes at least, is that okay?" I said it was fine, thought it would give me time to have a shower, tidy room, etc. Not quite 15 minutes later the food had arrived. Worrying!

Anyhoo when I sat down to it, it wasn't that hectic. There was no flavour of anything much from the sauce, which was almost watery! The chicken itself tasted quite nice, and the rice was fine. I'll give this place one more go, will go out on a limb next time and try something a bit more adventurous and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I got a take away from this place tonight, on foot of this thread. I decided I better play it safe with chicken tikka masala seeing as I didn't know too much about the place. When I rang it in, the guy on the phone was extremely difficult to understand and had a lot of difficulty following what I was saying, so I was a bit cagey about it all. I asked how long it would be- he said "oh, it will be 30 minutes at least, is that okay?" I said it was fine, thought it would give me time to have a shower, tidy room, etc. Not quite 15 minutes later the food had arrived. Worrying!

Anyhoo when I sat down to it, it wasn't that hectic. There was no flavour of anything much from the sauce, which was almost watery! The chicken itself tasted quite nice, and the rice was fine. I'll give this place one more go, will go out on a limb next time and try something a bit more adventurous and see how it goes.

sorry to hear that alaskimo-cake, but i find chicken tikka masala can be fairly basic and sometimes bland wherever ya go. Next time try the dehranduni or a bhuna gosht. I find these dishes to be full of flavour with a nice thick sauce. Where would you usually go for an indian takeaway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I think I'll pass on taking advice from someone who orders chips as part of an Indian meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

i recommend jewel in the crown in ballsbridge.

one of the nicest kormas ive ever had. and reallly good value for money

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Had a couple of nasty experiences of bad food from Masala and stopped ordering from them, though this would have been five or six years ago.

Find it hard to deviate from Konkan on Clanbrassil Street these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Does South Dublin City count?

If so, Diwali on Georges Street. You can always tell a good Indian by how they cook the Lamb.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

The Bombay Pantry in Rathmines is by far the best in SD.

Fact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

i have not lived in dublin for a fe years now but i still dream about bombay pantry. there is no comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

+ 1 for Konkan on Clanbrassil Street and Bombay Pantry in Rathmines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

tandoori bite on south richmond street is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I do like Bombay Pantry but recently (on foot of a voucher) started using The Spice Cottage in Sallynoggin, much prefer it to Bombay Pantry.

http://www.spicecottage.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

xzanti wrote: »
    The Bombay Pantry in Rathmines is by far the best in SD.

Fact

I was their biggest fan for years. Recommended them at every chance possible. Until I found a big thick black hair in my Chana Masala and nearly threw up. When I rang them to tell them they offered to send me another Chana Masala (delivery time 40 minutes). When I explained that I couldn't eat another mouthful of anything, because I felt so sick, and asked for a refund, they refused. I haven't gone back since - not ever.

Now I stick to Konkan or Namaste. Top quality food, excellent serive and always willing to please. Can't go wrong.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

tom1ie wrote: »
    sorry to hear that alaskimo-cake, but i find chicken tikka masala can be fairly basic and sometimes bland wherever ya go. Next time try the dehranduni or a bhuna gosht. I find these dishes to be full of flavour with a nice thick sauce. Where would you usually go for an indian takeaway?

Yeah I know Tikka Masala can be a bit basic but as I said, was playing it safe seeing as it was my first time to get anything from the place. Thought I'd see how they deal with the basics first. I only get indian as an occasional treat, had ordered from Royal Tandoori in Terenure.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Find it hard to deviate from Konkan on Clanbrassil Street these days.

Hmmm I work in Harold's Cross, looking forward to getting a takeaway from here the next time I'm on night duty so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

punjab balti in renelagh for me AMAZING!

ntlbell wrote: »
    punjab balti in renelagh for me AMAZING!
    Though they got five days on the naughty step recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Konkan is AMAZING. Nice friendly hard working lads too. My favourite by a mile - delish :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

India Gate in Rathfarnham is my go-to treat for myself. Lovely food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

Sadly, I wish this thread didn't exist. I ordered 1 jalfrezi, 1 pilau, 1 bombay aloo, 1 peshwari naan, 1 portion of onion bhajis. The total was 26eur. 30 mins was the delivery time (I'm close enough to crumlin) they took about 40mins (not a big deal if the food was any good). The peshwari was like it had been reheated, very dry, very thin (almost like one of those massive chocolate chip cookies). The jalfrezi wasn't the worst I've had, the rice and the potatoes had an intensive flavor of butter and very oily. The onions were dripping oil. All in all, I'm very disappointed. Huge prices for take-away of sub-par and mediocre food. I've added it to my contacts with a bold "don't order from" as name to be sure I don't do it by accident.

Has anyone tried the new poppadom at home in harolds cross? i wonder is it related to the ex poppadom in rathgar and the branch in sligo? if so it has to be good as the other 2 were/are amazing
    its where hoang ha chinese used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 5 happynings

Konkan is amazing. Chaps in there are very nice too. Once gave my girlfriend and her mate a free bottle of wine because they had to wait so long (still only about 30 mins) for their take away. And they'd be liable to throw in a few onion bhajis to a bag too which is always good.

happynings wrote: »
    Konkan is amazing. Chaps in there are very nice too. Once gave my girlfriend and her mate a free bottle of wine because they had to wait so long (still only about 30 mins) for their take away. And they'd be liable to throw in a few onion bhajis to a bag too which is always good.

when did you eat there last? in my opinion its not as nice as it was

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Scruffy Sandra

I like the Ghosti Taraabt on Mulrooney Street.....delicious, and cheap as hell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

India Gate - Belgard Road

Really? Still my regular. It definitely changes from time to time -- different chefs, different shifts, I guess. But I've never had a complaint about the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 happynings

It has been a while to be fair. Moved house two months or so ago and haven't been since. But had no problems last time I was there and would still go back if I was in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

gagomes wrote: »
    Sadly, I wish this thread didn't exist. I ordered 1 jalfrezi, 1 pilau, 1 bombay aloo, 1 peshwari naan, 1 portion of onion bhajis. The total was 26eur. 30 mins was the delivery time (I'm close enough to crumlin) they took about 40mins (not a big deal if the food was any good). The peshwari was like it had been reheated, very dry, very thin (almost like one of those massive chocolate chip cookies). The jalfrezi wasn't the worst I've had, the rice and the potatoes had an intensive flavor of butter and very oily. The onions were dripping oil. All in all, I'm very disappointed. Huge prices for take-away of sub-par and mediocre food. I've added it to my contacts with a bold "don't order from" as name to be sure I don't do it by accident.

I live about 3 miles from them and they deliver very quickly to me. I have always found it a great place and would agree it is the best take away in the South City area (but not in Dublin).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

India Gate - Belgard Road

+1 Absolutely gorgeous food. Have tried most of their curries and found them all lovely. I actually prefer India Gate to Bombay Pantry in Rathmines but I think Bombay Pantry is good too.

Advertisement