Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive upgrade

Options
  • 25-11-2011 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi all,
    I have a dell dimenion 8300 thats about 8 years old.
    I have just bought a new hard drive, going from 120GB to 500GB. The new one is a SATA, and it came with a SATA to IDE converter kit. I have connected all the cables, and in the bios under drive config - primary drive, it tell me it 500GB. But when i reboot ready to reload windows, it stops a says primary drive 1 not found.

Any idea of what i doing wrong
    Cheers
    MB

Comments

please dont say you removed the old hard drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mackyboy

Yeah i did, i thought the new could replace the old new. I did that a couple of years ago when they were both IDE drive. Can you not do that when going from IDE to SATA

MB

you have your operating system on your old drive. you will need to plug it back in and set as your primary.
    I presume you can fit the two hdd's in your pc?

On Dells you need to disable any unused SATA or IDE ports in the BIOS. Otherwise you'll get the error you described.

Advertisement