Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Idea involving google+

• 25-11-2011 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

I know some of you are using google+ but I got to thinking today maybe it could be a nice idea to setup a boards.ie photography group(if there isn't one already) and use those "hangouts" as a forum for C+C. It would be different to just the usual typed response on here because you have to use voice/video. I think the conversations formed from it would be very helpful to beginners and they would learn a lot more than just: "Great shot" "Nice composition" "Awesome HDR"

I enjoy giving C+C but usually I'm too lazy to type out a response. Just an idea anyway.. Thought I would throw it out there.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

has this ever been done on flickr at all with the boards crew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

has this ever been done on flickr at all with the boards crew?

I'd say there is alright. There's a boards.ie Flickr group. There is no voice/video on Flickr though.

I'll check out google plus now about setting up a group and page.

Even it's not mainly for C+C. The conversations would be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

Good idea, well worth trying anyway.

I'm not sure if there's a groups functionality on G+ it's all done with circles, I've a circle for boards (mostly the photography forum) that I could share as a starting point if folk wanted.

Probably no harm if folks interested threw a link to their profile into this thread?

This is me

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

I'm up for this.... Need to get the link... Back soon!

G+ is very good....
    nilhg wrote: »
    Good idea, well worth trying anyway.

I'm not sure if there's a groups functionality on G+ it's all done with circles, I've a circle for boards (mostly the photography forum) that I could share as a starting point if folk wanted.

Probably no harm if folks interested threw a link to their profile into this thread?

This is me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'm interested but have one question:
    When creating a google+ account I have to change my current gmail username?
    Does this mean that when I log into gmail in the future I can use my old username or do I have to use my new one?

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    I'm interested but have one question:
    When creating a google+ account I have to change my current gmail username?
    Does this mean that when I log into gmail in the future I can use my old username or do I have to use my new one?

There should be no need to create a new gmail user name, when you are in gmail there should be a black bar across the top of your screen, the first thing on the RHS of it should be +Pa (or Patrick or whatever your name is in Gmail) click on that to get into G+.

The link for profile: click

I have created my own boards.ie circle so I guess you guys should do that same so we are all on the same page hypothetically speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I've added nilhg and daz to my Boards Photography circle. So if you two add me back...

This is my account. https://plus.google.com/112770348990967730224/posts

I'll just add everyone who posts here to my Google Plus circle and if you do the same, presuming there's no easier way to organise this. Plus my boards user name is in my account profile.

Ok so, I just noticed you can actually create a page for something specific so I created a boards.ie photography one!

https://plus.google.com/b/118277949678883558205/

I wan't to see.. Someone add that to a new circle called "boards.ie photography" and when I start a hangout will it add you to the hangout automatically?

OK, I've shared my boards photography circle with dazftw, buceph and chisel, I can do the same for anyone else who wants to get involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

nilhg wrote: »
    OK, I've shared my boards photography circle with dazftw, buceph and chisel, I can do the same for anyone else who wants to get involved.

Me too, please :)Linkys
    Can't wait for Google+ to come up with more meaningful urls rather than numbers. Can't be doing much for their SEO :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

C'est moi. Perhaps this will give me a good reason to use Google+ :P

I just posted a few circles that the boards circle should see. They're all involved in photography in some way - although it might need a bit of pruning.

What about a hash tag for boards, make it easy to find work by boards people?

I'm really confused already. Is there an actual Boards page we should be adding (like the one dazftw posted) or is everyone just adding everyone else? :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

shellyboo wrote: »
    I'm really confused already. Is there an actual Boards page we should be adding (like the one dazftw posted) or is everyone just adding everyone else? :/

I think everyone is adding everyone else. At least I've added a big group of people and I'm adding anyone who has added me.

I don't think there's a particulary good way of setting up a group on Google Plus yet.

(I've added you btw, my name is Philip...)

Buceph wrote: »
    I think everyone is adding everyone else. At least I've added a big group of people and I'm adding anyone who has added me.

I don't think there's a particulary good way of setting up a group on Google Plus yet.

(I've added you btw, my name is Philip...)

Added you back :) The one dazftw set up there is a Google+ page, which is akin to a group. If he follows us all back, we should all be able to post on that page and contribute, as far as I know...

Is there anyway to share circles with a page? I don't want to have to do it manually.. haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I haven't really bothered using G+ but I might just do that :)

Me

I've sent you all an invite now to join the boards.ie photography page.

If shellyboo is right we can all use that page then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I'm here. If people are adding others to a boards photography circle - maybe have a post on your profile that's shared with the circle to say who you are (username).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Agus Mise!

Pretty sure you can share circles with anyone in your circles.

Edit: Go into your circles page and click on the Boardsie circle you probably created - up in the top right you'll have a link to "Share this circle".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Here's another idea for Google+ and something I didn't know about but just discovered - you can tag your images and posts on there, the same way you can on Boards.ie or Flickr or Pix.ie, etc. Just add a hash-tag in the comment along with the post like "#BoardsiePhotography" and then any of us can type that in the search bar (or click it in a post) and we'll see all of the pics that us Boardsies have posted to Google+.

Ok so I have 24 of you guys now in the boards.ie photography circle. You should all be able to post and have it posted to that page?

We'll have to organise a night to do a hangout and anyone who wants to bring some photos for c&c is free to do so?

I think its limited to 9 people so we might have to have more than one. You also need to have either a webcam/microphone or a microphone for the hangout to work. One of the lads couldn't get it going the other night cause he had neither.

dazftw wrote: »
    Ok so I have 24 of you guys now in the boards.ie photography circle. You should all be able to post and have it posted to that page?

We'll have to organise a night to do a hangout and anyone who wants to bring some photos for c&c is free to do so?

I think its limited to 9 people so we might have to have more than one. You also need to have either a webcam/microphone or a microphone for the hangout to work. One of the lads couldn't get it going the other night cause he had neither.

I'm getting
    Boards.ie Photography hasn't shared anything with you.

People are more likely to share with you if you add them to your circles.

when I go to the boards page, not sure why that is? Have you posteed any thing to it yet?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Yes, I'm in the boards circle, boards page is in my circles, but when I go there, I get thesame thing as nihlg - "boards hasn't shared anything with you".

Maybe post something, share it publicly/mycircles and then we can see if we can see it...

• Advertisement

I posted it something there. I'll be on for the night so if anyone want's to try a hangout just to see if it works post here.

dazftw wrote: »
    I posted it something there. I'll be on for the night so if anyone want's to try a hangout just to see if it works post here.

OK, I can see what you posted, TBH I'm not so sure how useful the boards page will be as it seems only you can post to it, apart from it being a very handy way for folks to show that they want to be part of others users boards circles, by adding boards photography page to their circles they will be easy for the rest of us to pick up and share with.

Hope that makes sense?

Advertisement