Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best angling show ever

Options
  • 25-11-2011 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Just sat down in front of the TV with a roaring fire, a very generous glass of jameson and the dog by my side, to watch the entire series of "a passion for angling",undoubtedly the best ever TV series for real anglers and non anglers alike. :D best of all wife and kids aint here! I've spent years looking for this series and as sad as it sounds, I've been looking forward to this all week...Aahhh:)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

It's a class series. :)
    Hugh Miles did a great job of capturing the attraction of angling.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

coolwings wrote: »
    It's a class series. :)
    Hugh Miles did a great job of capturing the attraction of angling.
    He sure did,mind you, he wasn't David Attenborough's main cameraman for 30 years for nothing;D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Fantastic series.
    How rare not only are the specimens caught in the series but also the great friendship shared between Chris yates and Bob James.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

I love the show but find the friendship odd !
    Still no better men great series
    Fantastic series.
    How rare not only are the specimens caught in the series but also the great friendship shared between Chris yates and Bob James.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

They apparently dont talk anymore.

• Advertisement

You don't need to talk when your fishing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Haven't heard of this - what station is it on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Longranger wrote: »
    "a passion for angling",undoubtedly the best ever TV series for real anglers and non anglers alike..... I've spent years looking for this series

Brilliant brilliant series. Can it be got in a box set or the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

They apparently dont talk anymore.

Happy to say they do - Internet myth

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Are they still old school with their tackle and looks?
    Great series, shows the true meaning of fishing, getting quality fish on basic tackle ;)

• Advertisement

aidanf wrote: »
    Haven't heard of this - what station is it on?

It's not on any. It's an old bbc series from about 20 years back.

Bizzum wrote: »
    Brilliant brilliant series. Can it be got in a box set or the like?

A mate of mind downloaded it from god only knows where.PM me if you want a copy and I should be able to sort one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

I'd recommend catching the impossible for anyone who enjoyed passion for angling. Also anyone remember screaming reels?

Longranger wrote: »
    A mate of mind downloaded it from god only knows where.PM me if you want a copy and I should be able to sort one out.

Yes please!

I love the tricks they used to come up with to catch weary carp like leaving a scarecrow type thing standing in the water for a week and coming back and standing in it's place fishing, idea is the carp get used to it.
    Another one that sticks out in my mind is the one where Chris climbs an overhanging tree to keep the line off the water knowing that he was fooked if he hooked one which he did:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Oddly I enjoy the 'extreme fishing' series. Basically a guy who never pretends to know what he is doing exploring the far flung extremes. Some excellent episodes. Learnt anthing from it, nah, but good fun anyway.

shane1981 wrote: »
    I'd recommend catching the impossible for anyone who enjoyed passion for angling. Also anyone remember screaming reels?

Your man on screaming reels hadnt a clue.

My favourites
    1: Passion for Angling
    2: any of the Matt Hayes series's like Total Fishing, the great rod race or Mainstream.
    3: Go fishing (John Wilson)
    4:Coast to coast (Darral Grimmason) also great as it was Irish.
    5: Hooked on fishing (Paul Young) great for salmon and fly
    6: Jack Charlton on the fly.
    All theese series would be worth downloading if you can.

Oh.. Forgot to mention Rex Hunt:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

There is the odd fishing programme on 'Horse and Country' channel, on Sky or FTA. John Baily dose be on it the odd time i think.

BITEMYBANGER, Did Matt Hayes and the older lad manage to catch everything in the Great Rod Race? If i recall they spent a few days in Ireland fishing doing that show. The Van was some setup:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

shane1981 wrote: »

Your man on screaming reels hadnt a clue.

My favourites
    1: Passion for Angling
    2: any of the Matt Hayes series's like Total Fishing, the great rod race or Mainstream.
    3: Go fishing (John Wilson)
    4:Coast to coast (Darral Grimmason) also great as it was Irish.
    5: Hooked on fishing (Paul Young) great for salmon and fly
    6: Jack Charlton on the fly.
    All theese series would be worth downloading if you can.

Oh.. Forgot to mention Rex Hunt:D

I used to watch go fishing religiously as a kid. I think I have every episode taped onto VHS somewhere. Don't have a VHS player so doubt il be ever to resurect them!

Dusty87 wrote: »
    There is the odd fishing programme on 'Horse and Country' channel, on Sky or FTA. John Baily dose be on it the odd time i think.

BITEMYBANGER, Did Matt Hayes and the older lad manage to catch everything in the Great Rod Race? If i recall they spent a few days in Ireland fishing doing that show. The Van was some setup:D

i dont think they caught everything they set out for in the end but thats fishing:D
    thehamo wrote: »
    I used to watch go fishing religiously as a kid. I think I have every episode taped onto VHS somewhere. Don't have a VHS player so doubt il be ever to resurect them!

they should be available to download somwhere. great show, his books are excellent too and still a point of reference when fishing is hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

With the gorgeous scenery and landscape of Ireland I really dont understand why RTE doesn't do a short series on angling. They have done great nature programs before - "wild ireland"

5 or 6 half hour shows with salmon, seatrout by night, dapping mayfly, lure fishing for bass, congers from the rocks, summer carp and winter pike.

Gimme a camera and i'll make the bloody thing myself :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

SeaFields wrote: »
    With the gorgeous scenery and landscape of Ireland I really dont understand why RTE doesn't do a short series on angling. They have done great nature programs before - "wild ireland"

5 or 6 half hour shows with salmon, seatrout by night, dapping mayfly, lure fishing for bass, congers from the rocks, summer carp and winter pike.

There ya are now Sea Fields, nice little earner for ya, write to them. Il watch it.:D

SeaFields wrote: »

You work the camera, ill do the fishing and the result would be a Kirsties home videos fishing special:D

You work the camera, ill do the fishing and the result would be a Kirsties home videos fishing special:D

oh you of little faith!

In years to come our grandchildren would be viewing our show on 3D HD Youtube and we would tell them "that's when fishing was a mans sport!" :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fisherman

Yeah, anything with Matt Hayes and Mick Brown. Rex "thank your mother for the rabbits" Hunt was great in the early years but the show lost it's appeal for me when the two younger guys started doing some presenting on it. I haven't seen it for a few years now.
    It's amazing that RTE haven't done anything about doing a fishing series given our fantastic lakes and rivers.
    Who would present it?
    Any ideas?
    Darryl Grimason does spring to mind as he's the only one I can remember presenting an Irish fishing program.

Fisherman wrote: »
    Y
    Who would present it?

I believe Derek Davis is a very keen angler?

I think it would be very important, if rte did do a show, would be to incorporate some of the characters around Ireland that like to wet a line. Everyone knows the type :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Bizzarely enough I liked "River Monsters" with Jeremy Wade. Even though he did ham it up a lot for the camera!

Bizzum wrote: »
    Bizzarely enough I liked "River Monsters" with Jeremy Wade. Even though he did ham it up a lot for the camera!

River monsters and monster fishing, two good shows. If only I had the time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Dusty87 wrote: »

Nope they failed to catch golden tench,but then they said that it doest count that its a sub-species or some ****e like that but it was left that they did complete it so..!!

I love watching anything with matt hayes epsecially some of his fishing in ireland,and the greater rod race when he struggled big time in cavan,does anybody know if hes making anything new ot that??? its been a few years now since ive seen any of his new stuff..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fisherman

Check out Matt Hayes blog He has some news on there about two new projects for the coming months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

2 Pages and no mention of Rex Hunt??? I know he's not everyones cup of tea but I watched his last ever show and I nearly shed a tear myself as he said his goodbyes. Met him at an exhibition in Melbourne a few years back, actually a hell of a nice guy and far smarter than he appeared to be on TV.

That said, I'd have to go with Matt Hayes, John Wilson and Paul Young as my favourites. I also enjoy some of the stuff on the net like http://www.youtube.com/user/SFOTF , maybe not entirely relevant to us over here but its still great watching fine trout being caught

Advertisement