Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best angling show ever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Daroxtar wrote: »
    2 Pages and no mention of Rex Hunt??? I know he's not everyones cup of tea but I watched his last ever show and I nearly shed a tear myself as he said his goodbyes. Met him at an exhibition in Melbourne a few years back, actually a hell of a nice guy and far smarter than he appeared to be on TV.

That said, I'd have to go with Matt Hayes, John Wilson and Paul Young as my favourites. I also enjoy some of the stuff on the net like http://www.youtube.com/user/SFOTF , maybe not entirely relevant to us over here but its still great watching fine trout being caught

Cough!! (post 17):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fisherman

2 Pages and no mention of Rex Hunt???

Not sure which thread you're reading, Daroxtar, but the 'bearded burbler' has been mentioned at least three times in this thread. :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

:o Apologies, was looking at the thread on mobile and missed half of it. At first I thought Bitemybanger had used some special mod ninja edit but obviously I just need to learn to use technology

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

The Angling Experience about fishing in ireland shown on channel 4 in the early 1980s...by a mile the best ;) i watched it and recodred it on a VHS tape at the time, however since i lost the tape............:mad::mad:

No worries Daroxtar, I loved watching Rex Hunt's shows. What about those huge Baramundi, I'd love to have a go at catching one of those. :D The crocs would scare the living daylights out of me though, don't think I would dare go near the river's edge. :eek:

The Angling Experience about fishing in ireland shown on channel 4 in the early 1980s...by a mile the best ;) i watched it and recodred it on a VHS tape at the time, however since i lost the tape............:mad::mad:

That's one I don't think I've seen, ironbluedun, but I notice it can be bought online from here. There are some little previews of the shows at that link as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Paul Youngs Hooked on Fishing is my favourite, some classic episodes, especially the one in on the Rio Grande in Argentina.

Passion for Angling, the pike episode (there may have more than one?) sticks out as one of the best..

Not a TV series (and pricey enough to buy if new) , the Oliver Edwards DVDs are pretty good, his fly tying skills are second to none. Great to watch over teh winter months!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Yep
    Paul young for me
    Top notch

whelzer wrote: »
    Paul Youngs Hooked on Fishing is my favourite, some classic episodes, especially the one in on the Rio Grande in Argentina.

Passion for Angling, the pike episode (there may have more than one?) sticks out as one of the best..

Not a TV series (and pricey enough to buy if new) , the Oliver Edwards DVDs are pretty good, his fly tying skills are second to none. Great to watch over teh winter months!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmcspud

'Catching the Impossible' is an absolutely fantastic show imo..... great underwater shots and always finish the show with a serious fish and they fish for the species we'd know. its on sky channel 242 on sat/sun nights. ... we it was! (google it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Your man on screaming reels hadnt a clue.

My favourites
    1: Passion for Angling
    2: any of the Matt Hayes series's like Total Fishing, the great rod race or Mainstream.
    3: Go fishing (John Wilson)
    4:Coast to coast (Darral Grimmason) also great as it was Irish.
    5: Hooked on fishing (Paul Young) great for salmon and fly
    6: Jack Charlton on the fly.
    All theese series would be worth downloading if you can.

Oh.. Forgot to mention Rex Hunt:D

Rex Hunt got me interested in fishing! love all the Matt Hayes shows, my fav is either the grerater rod race, or record breaking fish, its the one where through the series mick out fishes matt a bit. the look in his face when ho got a 40lb carp was amazing :)
    also liked mainstream on the shannon

Passion for Angling is amazing, love the black dog! best moment on that show was catching a roach 1/2 an oz short of 3 lb! and being sporting enough not to call it 3lb. also caught some massive pike. its prob the best fishing show ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Fisherman wrote: »
    That's one I don't think I've seen, ironbluedun, but I notice it can be bought online from here. There are some little previews of the shows at that link as well.

that's the one, they are from 88, i had thought it was earlier than that, anyway a good series, but they are expensive now!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

http://www.1channel.ch/watch-29964-Extreme-Fishing-with-Robson-Green

here an online stream link to robson greens series. if i find anymore links i'll post here

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Racha78

I dont know lads if youre aware but this is the link to new-ish online angling tv with lots of free new and old angling programs...

http://www.onlinefishing.tv/

Anyobe know where to catch hugh falkus salmo the leaper
    Cant find it anywhere
    Its like hens teeth... only out of stock vhs in amazon..

Racha78 wrote: »
    I dont know lads if youre aware but this is the link to new-ish online angling tv with lots of free new and old angling programs...

http://www.onlinefishing.tv/

Is this what you're searching for, fisherking?
    If so:
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4

If you're using Firefox as your browser, then install the Video Download Helper add-on for Firefox. This will enable you to easily download the videos to your computer.

Brilliant!
    Thank you so much
    I wasted so much time looking for dvds etc
    Should of gone straight to the toob!
    Thats the weekend sorted

Is this what you're searching for, fisherking?
    If so:
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4

If you're using Firefox as your browser, then install the Video Download Helper add-on for Firefox. This will enable you to easily download the videos to your computer.

Happy to help, fisherking, enjoy. I'll watch it when I get the missus off to bed. :D

Ha!
    Good to see the priorities are in order.....

Happy to help, fisherking, enjoy. I'll watch it when I get the missus off to bed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

deffo john wilson for me. seems to enjoy it the most while catching good fish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Does anyone remember the show when John was fishing in South Africa and he got stuck into a huge fish that ended up breaking his rod? He had to try and hold the rod pieces together and reel in a huge catfish. Absolutely brilliant tv:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I cant remember the name of it but fosr year i had on a VHS tape an old angling program that was made around Ireland. There was fly fishing on Mask, Peter O' Reilly fishing the Slaney for grilse and there was spring salmon fishing on he Blackwater in Cork.

It was fantastic. Anyone know the name? Or remember it?

Edit : the program was made in the early 80s I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Does anyone remember the show when John was fishing in South Africa and he got stuck into a huge fish that ended up breaking his rod? He had to try and hold the rod pieces together and reel in a huge catfish. Absolutely brilliant tv:D

Ya seen that. I actually love when his daughter gets a better fish than him. You can see he's getting p***d off :pac:

I liked the Matt Hayes series with the Duke. The great rod race was an original concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭purehoor

Bizzum wrote: »
    Bizzarely enough I liked "River Monsters" with Jeremy Wade. Even though he did ham it up a lot for the camera!

did he do jungle hooks too??
    loved john wilson and all the matt hayes stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

purehoor wrote: »
    did he do jungle hooks too??

I don't know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭purehoor

you tube confirms!!!! he did a series looking to catch the araphima i think it was called. great series
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSzELW4h4BE

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

purehoor wrote: »
    you tube confirms!!!! he did a series looking to catch the araphima i think it was called. great series
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSzELW4h4BE

Aye Jungle hooks with Jeremy Wade was quite good.
    Was a hairy moment in one programe when he was in a light plane and it crashed in the jungle! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Came across this on the web recently, Lee Wulff & his wife Joan probably some of the most famous american fly fishers. Nice video from the olden days must have been amazing fishing.

Lee also put his name to a few of the famous flies we use today bearing his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Buggs

Based on Isaac Walton's Complete Angler.
    Beautifully filmed, he fished for Salmon and trout in Ireland as well as various rivers in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Buggs

Sorry for spamming:D

Hooked on Fishing
    http://www.youtube.com/show/hookedonscottish

This guys Youtube channel has loads of different shows namely:
    The Great Rod Race, A Passion for Angling and various other shows. Well worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/user/zoetermeerrrrrrrrrrr/videos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Buggs wrote: »
    Based on Isaac Walton's Complete Angler.
    Beautifully filmed, he fished for Salmon and trout in Ireland as well as various rivers in the UK.

Funnilly enough I just finished re watching the last episode its wonderfully filmed and i hope he makes another program love his dreamy presentation style & he is stuck in the past like myself:)

Advertisement