Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever - Is it worth it? (Free)

Options
  • 25-11-2011 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I noticed that GAME are doing buy one, get one free offers so I was thinking for my second game of getting Duke Nukem Forever. I know there are a lot of bad reviews around but I suppose no one considered what it would be like if it was free. So is it worth it getting free? I would get Skyrim instead but they're out of stock :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

no
    no
    no
    no
    no
    no
    no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

biggest let down of a game... of ALL time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

20 euro or less is good for this game, it's pretty funny, but not enough lasting appeal to justify full price.

I thought the reviews were hard on it. they forget that duke 3D came out the same time as quake and was a generation behind. it had nothing ROTT didn't have gameplay wise.

It was the juvenile, sexist humour that made Duke great, and DNF has this in spades. they did some good modelling on the greased up nakkid women too!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

look, its not the game it should of been but its really not as bad as some people say. it has some fun bits and isnt the worst fps ever like some people claim. for free you cant go wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

It's free. Where's the hassle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Well, the main reason why I mentioned it is that I want to get a game thats worth it. I wouldn't get a game that is quite bad, even if it was free so I was thinking of using the offer for a game more worth it (e.g.: COD MW2, BF BC2 or ARMA X: Anniversary Edition, or also, Red Orchestra 2 as its been recommended to me by a friend)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Maybe worth a try, but a bad game is a bad game, whatever it cost. But who knows, maybe you'll like it. So my advice is... well, I don't have any advice. Happy Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

its absolute rubbish,played it for 20 mins or so and turned it off.gave it to a friend who did the exact same.loved the original games but this is tripe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Asked me mother to pick it up for me today. Told her if its more than 20 secondhand then don't get it. Came back with it and I handed over the 35 she paid for it lol.
    Its alright. Nothing spectacular. His voice is extremely annoying.
    I played it for an hour or two so far. I will be keeping it cos I just don't like trading in games for shag all.
    Fair few funny bits in it. Its definitely not as good as I was hoping but in my opinion its not near as bad as some people make it out to be.
    Game suffered from being hyped so much was all..
    If your getting it for free then why not. I've played a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

wait till skyrim is back in stock. you're welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

biggest let down of a game... of ALL time
    Hey Skryim Ima let you finish but - ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

For free, you can't go wrong.
    I paid full price for it! ... its not worth that. But as said above its not bad for 20 or better yet. Free :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To the lad who paid 35 for it today, where did you buy it?! I've seen it for about 9.99 pre-owned several places.

Now, I did pay full price for it, as I got it when it was released - and even at that, you know, I actually thought it was fun, definitely by no means the worst game I've ever paid full price for. It's crude, basic, repetitive and immature, but I actually really enjoyed it for what it offered, and it got a fair few laughs out of me, without question. I reviewed it here, because I thought it deserved a measure of defense considering the amount of flak it took.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Was listening to a gaming podcast earlier (Weekend Confirmed). The hosts implied that it wouldn't be worth playing, even if it could be acquired gratis.

Bulletstorm proves that dumb humour can be done, somewhat, cleverly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

seanybiker wrote: »
    Game suffered from being hyped so much was all..

No, it suffered from taking 14 years to make and changing to two different game engines, Quake to Unreal and having to rebuild the game at least twice over. Bad project management basically.

By the time it was released and all the internal conflicts between various companies were settled it was 10 years too late. Sure old shooters like Far Cry 1 kick the arse off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Well, the main reason why I mentioned it is that I want to get a game thats worth it. I wouldn't get a game that is quite bad, even if it was free so I was thinking of using the offer for a game more worth it (e.g.: COD MW2, BF BC2 or ARMA X: Anniversary Edition, or also, Red Orchestra 2 as its been recommended to me by a friend)

Out of the ones you've mentioned, I'd probably go for CoD: MW2. A lot of fun to be had in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Fun game if you take it as it is.

It offers nothing but more Duke!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It's the height of mediocrity, the very definition of a 5/10 game and a huge disappointment even for those of us expecting a brainless throwback to mid-to-late nineties first person shooters.

Should you play it though? Yes, at some stage.

Should you get it as part of the current deal in which there are other far superior titles available? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 frozent

hi.....
    there are many video games but i like need for speed,red line rumbles, monkey quest, and some action games like super bike nation or sewer run 2...... i enjoy alot when playing.... try them hope you will enjoy them......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Squaredude wrote: »
    its absolute rubbish,played it for 20 mins or so and turned it off.gave it to a friend who did the exact same.loved the original games but this is tripe!

If you played it for 20 minutes you wouldnt have even gotten past the intro.

OP, its a fairly uninspired, mediocre shooter, but theres some decent humour and some fun levels, its probably a 6/10, maybe a 5. But dont listen to people saying OMG ITS WORSE THAN CAT AIDS, its a mediocre game, not a ****ing awful one. for free, its worth it. I got it in the steam sale for 6 quid, thats about all id be willing to pay for it.
    Tho the PC version is better than console, doesnt have such bad loading times, and looks much much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If it is free i would take it, but if there is a choice between this and something else id choose something else.

Advertisement