Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Students doing BEd in Sports Studies and Physical Education

• 25-11-2011 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭

Any mature student boardsies doing the BEd in Sports Studies and Physical Education in UCC? Considering giving it a go and just looking for info on recognition of prior learning, fees, etc. Hit me up here, or with a PM if you have any info.

Cheers,

Odin

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Final year B.Ed student, not a mature student but know quite a few of them. You'll have to complete MSAP exam as well as applying to the CAO - information here and you get in based on those results. Fees are around 9000 a year to the best of my knowledge.

Any other questions, put them up and I'll answer them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

odin_ie wrote: »
    Any mature student boardsies doing the BEd in Sports Studies and Physical Education in UCC? Considering giving it a go and just looking for info on recognition of prior learning, fees, etc. Hit me up here, or with a PM if you have any info.

Cheers,

Odin

I'm a mature student in 2nd year.

We're told that they don't give any exemptions for prior learning/qualifications. Plenty of students are more qualified/experienced in certain sports than the people teaching them but they still must do it. In one particulr case one of the students had taught the tutor in a particular activity and then had to learn in back off them. They say they will bring in recognition of prior learning but not for maybe 2 or 3 years.

Fees are €7,000 and Registration is €2000(subject to change by govenment) and College charge another €150 I think. So as RebelGirl says around €9000.

Any other questions give me a shout.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

GSOIRL wrote: »
    I'm a mature student in 2nd year.

We're told that they don't give any exemptions for prior learning/qualifications. Plenty of students are more qualified/experienced in certain sports than the people teaching them but they still must do it. In one particulr case one of the students had taught the tutor in a particular activity and then had to learn in back off them. They say they will bring in recognition of prior learning but not for maybe 2 or 3 years.

Fees are €7,000 and Registration is €2000(subject to change by govenment) and College charge another €150 I think. So as RebelGirl says around €9000.

Any other questions give me a shout.

That will be interesting to see if it will happen! New head of department in that might push that through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭mascherano11

I am also applying for this course as a mature student just wondering is there an interview? also what do you guys think would help give you the edge over others applying to gain entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

I am also applying for this course as a mature student just wondering is there an interview? also what do you guys think would help give you the edge over others applying to gain entry.

No interview

Eh not mentioning me for a start ;) Not really sure. Just put down as much information as possible. I had no real academic background but I had coached and taught a lot and put that down and I got in so I think it depends really. In my year there seems to be a big mix of sports disciplines amongst the mature students. So if your main sporting passion is a bit different that might help. If it's GAA or soccer it may be more challenging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭mascherano11

Thats interesting that there is no interview for entry to the course. You would obviously have to do very well in the MSAP test I presume? I am heavily in volved in sport through playing it myself (Gaa) and also coaching wwith my lcal club and I have volunteered at Gaa summer camps during the last number of summers so hopefully this might help me.

Advertisement