Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Postmans Christmas presents

• 25-11-2011 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭

This is something that popped into my mind earlier. I remember growing up my folks giving the postman/binman a present at Christmas. Was usually an oul cheap bottle of port or something. Does this still happen? Are you going to give any of the "public service" people a present this Christmas?

Personally, I feel I should get my postie something. Whilst it is his job, he does deliver a lot of parcels for me. I've seen him lugging them around in the lashings of rain. I get about 3 parcels a week..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

No he gets paid to do his job same as I do. I know it is done but not by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Can only imagine the ridiculous amount of token gifts they must get/have gotten when this was the done thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

You have to get them a present or they'll piss in your letterbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

I think I'm doing my postman a favour by not giving him a present. Think about it; a guy on a bike with a heavy load trying to get rid of that load to make his morning easier suddenly receiving something much heavier than what he was trying to deliver.

If I was a worn out postman I'd throw it back at me! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

red alert...the words public and service have appeared beside each other in a post

queue rapid descent into bickering............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I bet the OP is a postman.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I agree it is his job. I know someone will post "will you give your delivery man/McDonald's employee a present?", but it's something that used to be done!

Think of the joy the postman brings you. You hear the falling of letters! You wait all morning for your parcel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

He brings me bills and juke mail. He'd be lucky to get a kick in the goolies from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

50 euros for the postperson, they are a great bunch of workers

Remember the snow and ice last Christmas, they still delivered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

antodeco wrote: »
    I agree it is his job. I know someone will post "will you give your delivery man/McDonald's employee a present?", but it's something that used to be done!

Think of the joy the postman brings you. You hear the falling of letters! You wait all morning for your parcel!

What joy? They're mostly bills.

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »

Expect a knock on the door from customs! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm going to hand him a piece of paper saying sorry I missed you. If he questions me I'll just tell him I left it at the sorting office for him. That's how they work isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Yep I give the postman & the binmen something every year.Just a bit of gratitude from our house.no big deal really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Deffo give my postie a €10'er. I hate all this p/s bashing, very undeserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Kiera wrote: »
    He brings me bills and juke mail. He'd be lucky to get a kick in the goolies from me!

He brings you music and you want to give him a kick in the orchestra stalls? :eek:

RichT wrote: »
    He brings you music and you want to give him a kick in the orchestra stalls? :eek:

Haha i get a little excited thinking about people putting things in my box :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Your jukebox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Quirkygirl

It is certainly a tradition around my locality but since I saw the primetime investigates I took a stronger stand on this, it claims the average postie after 10 years service is earning 49 grand a year.

Dotrel wrote: »
    Your jukebox?

Dammit! Leave my juke box out of this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

If I knew my postman more then I definitely would! I always feel bad when I don't offer him a cup of tea on a cold rainy day, wish I would in the future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I know of a some older people who do this with the binmen, not a custom that was ever in my own household though. I can't imagine it would be expected by the staff in question though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Dotrel wrote: »

Your jukebox?
    or junkbox

Quirkygirl wrote: »
    It is certainly a tradition around my locality but since I saw the primetime investigates I took a stronger stand on this, it claims the average postie after 10 years service is earning 49 grand a year.

Primetime investigates, not been exactly accurate lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'd be willing to give the old postman a Xmas token gift as he actually was a hard worker and made sure I got packages.

New postman is a young lad and a bollix. I get failed delivery notices all the time. One day I was near my door when he popped the slip through letter box. Package was small and light so don't know what his game was..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Binmen don't get anything anymore, not with the councils already charging obscene amounts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Remember the days when you would give struggling trinity arts students cocaine and hookers?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

I'm a postman and I'd severely doubt this to be honest . You'd want to be working day and night to get this money in the post office . There has been a massive clampdown on overtime too so to be honest it's not a realistic figure at all .

A few years ago the other half said "what shall I give the binmen for Christmas"

I replied fúck the binmen

Went to work and thought about it, had to txt her and tell her I was only joking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

sgb wrote: »
    A few years ago the other half said "what shall I give the binmen for Christmas"

I replied fúck the binmen

Went to work and thought about it, had to txt her and tell her I was only joking

And then ironially she did fcuck the binman

• Advertisement

It's a sad Friday night when this is the most interesting topic on AH.

Also, it's a sad situation when Prime Time gets mentioned in a light-hearted thread FFS!

Don't force me to get a life people! :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Diirrty! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

As you do ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He can go get f**ked as can the binman

The c**t does'nt bother delivering parcels that require signatures, caught him more than once at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

John Doe1 wrote: »
    And then ironially she did fcuck the binman

He dumped his load on her.. oh yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

He dumped his load on her.. oh yeah

Dont be talking rubbish ;):p

• Advertisement

This thread has presents, Durrty talk, prime time and obscene amounts of money in it. I just need fog lights and taxis and it's a perfect thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Postmen arrive at my shop every day and take away a minimum of 8-10 parcels, lugging them into the van. Whole lot of them are sound, hard working lads.

Drop into the sorting office every Christmas with a big tin of sweets and a case of beer and they all go ape shít, they love it. Give a few of the regular lads something small too, makes all the difference and its nice to be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

My mam always slips him a tenner in a card. He's a decent man and in fairness once he manages to deliver a letter that had my mams first name, the name of our road (without the 'road' at the end of it) and our county.

For those who said they would/are giving something, are you from a city or rural area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

We always gave our old postman a present. He was nice and friendly, did his job well and with a smile. The new guy just isn't bothered and does as little as he can, giving out we don't have a mail box so he has to drive another 2 seconds to our door. He won't be getting a present.

Rural area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

I won't be giving him anything for the simple reason that he has a job and I don't. Having said that though I probably still wouldn't even if I had a job, I know my parents give him something and I know the guy I used to work for always gave him €20/€50 each Christmas so how much does he actually walk away with at the end of the day? Not to sound pious or anything but wouldn't it be better off going towards less fortunate people? I know there are plenty of families that will be going without this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

No, the average postperson does not make 49k a year after ten years.

And yes, we always give our postman something for Christmas. He's great. This might also have something to do with the fact that I used to do the job myself. :D

How about giving him a pair of dog proof trousers! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I was a rural postman for about six months, mostly winter, over fifty years ago. It was hard going on a big heavy bike, made by a plough manufacturer in Wexford, and carrying parcels as well.:D

It taught me a lot about human nature. There was never a day when I wasn't invited in out of the wind and rain for a cup of tea at several houses, always those of relatively poor people, and when Christmas came round I got a few shillings, and at least the offer of a drink, from the same people. :)

By contrast, the strong farmers and some other better-offs mostly lived down long avenues and I had to cycle down every day because they always got post and many of them subscribed to newspapers - right wing, naturally - but they wouldn't give you the steam off their piss. Instead, they would only complain because their post was late arriving in the busy days leading up to Christmas.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

im a postie aswell, the comment about 49k is well wide of the mark, in regards tips,i get a few,i deliver in the city so its mostly office folk ,dentists etc who will give a card ,some of the more elderly also will chase ya down and be insulted if you dont take their 5 euro.

but im being honest when i say a simple merry/happy christmas mr postman is worth more than a seemingly 'i better give the postman a tip or else ......' card from my customers..

we see the same people usally 5 days a week,have a joke,a laugh,eventually over time ask how the kids are,their exams going etc etc,its this type of interaction that makes the job what it is..not very well payed,working in all weathers.. remember the ice/snow.. remember the hurricane winds that hit..we have to go out,in vans/bikes/walking.. im there 15 years and never once in all the terrible weather was it ok NOT to go out in it,

its meeting the people, becoming somewhat friends,knowing a letter from america is for the mary walsh on sq avenue not the mary walsh on round avenue,simply because you know she has family in america and the other mary dosent.

so a happy christmas will do me, just dont hide away because you think you havta tip your postie,you dont,it costs nothing to be nice,and it will be rememberd.

so happy christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

barone wrote: »
    im a postie aswell, the comment about 49k is well wide of the mark, in regards tips,i get a few,i deliver in the city so its mostly office folk ,dentists etc who will give a card ,some of the more elderly also will chase ya down and be insulted if you dont take their 5 euro.

but im being honest when i say a simple merry/happy christmas mr postman is worth more than a seemingly 'i better give the postman a tip or else ......' card from my customers..

we see the same people usally 5 days a week,have a joke,a laugh,eventually over time ask how the kids are,their exams going etc etc,its this type of interaction that makes the job what it is..not very well payed,working in all weathers.. remember the ice/snow.. remember the hurricane winds that hit..we have to go out,in vans/bikes/walking.. im there 15 years and never once in all the terrible weather was it ok NOT to go out in it,

its meeting the people, becoming somewhat friends,knowing a letter from america is for the mary walsh on sq avenue not the mary walsh on round avenue,simply because you know she has family in america and the other mary dosent.

so a happy christmas will do me, just dont hide away because you think you havta tip your postie,you dont,it costs nothing to be nice,and it will be rememberd.

so happy christmas :)

Too Right!!!

People are losing the plot imo !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Quirkygirl

Oh holy s**t fair enough I'm suing those F#ckers on p/time for false info and giving my postie a box of celebrations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

Oh holy s**t fair enough I'm suing those F#ckers on p/time for false info and giving my postie a box of celebrations?

now chocolate is a different matter entirely,nobody mentioned chocolate, surprisingly given out by a few of my dentists on my route at xmas ..

will always say yes thank you to chocolates :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

olivia432 wrote: »
    really this post is awesome

Ho Hoooh!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

• Advertisement
Advertisement