Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could Ireland collapse the euro if they wanted..

• 25-11-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

as title!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

What do you think ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

tacofries wrote: »
    as title!!

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

"if they wanted"????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Kasabian

We will be after the budget. Punt is making a come back. Tacofries will be 500 punt and 600 for a large one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

we could try :pac:

god likes a trier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

Being the lazy ****s we are, we'll let Greece get there first :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

realies wrote: »
    What do you think ?

i think no actually. were too small

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Kasabian wrote: »
    We will be after the budget. Punt is making a come back. Tacofries will be 500 punt and 600 for a large one.

They look nice and messy whatever they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Not Ireland.

It will be a joint effort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

If Ireland put a euro into a stong vice they could compress it somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Any truth to the story that a test run of the Punt was carried out by the central bank during the week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I don't understand why anyone would say we're too small. It's not about the size of the country. The size of Anglo Irish Bank was way out of proportion to the size of the country!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I don't understand why anyone would say we're too small. It's not about the size of the country. The size of Anglo Irish Bank was way out of proportion to the size of the country!

im only saying its too small cause i read an article there that said if the eu injected 540billion into a few countries it would keep the whole eu stable. since our overall debt is less than that i dont see how we could take it down!

if theres any truth to the article i have no idea !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I think we should join the pound but call it the 'Eire' or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Do you have any finance background OP? Perhaps you can let us know your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭moonbino

Kasabian wrote: »

Lmao

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Do you have any finance background OP? Perhaps you can let us know your opinion.

no, no background in finance. already did and i said no, were to small. what u think

no, no background in finance. already did and i said no, were to small. what u think

I don't think we would want to collapse the euro nor do I think we could.

I think you should type with whole words instead of using text speak.

I don't think we would want to collapse the euro nor do I think we could.

anno do you've a problem with me our just like to try and assert some power through your opinion. you sound like a walter mitty kinda guy by your actions. id say when u get off this your going to face the firin sqaud, i.e. the missus, or in your case probably your mother since i doubt you've hooked up yet. ( no offence just your posts depict you as that kind of guy)n

p.s. threw in a few text words and gramattical errors in der for your amusement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

im only saying its too small cause i read an article there that said if the eu injected 540billion into a few countries it would keep the whole eu stable. since our overall debt is less than that i dont see how we could take it down!

if theres any truth to the article i have no idea !!!

I don't know anything about that article. But just to put it into perspective, the 6 Irish banks combined have debts well over half of what Lehman Brothers owed. This, combined with the fact that the markets are already freaked out, to me means that yes, we could bring it down!

If we wanted it to collapse tho, we'd be better off waiting for someone else to do the job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Any truth to the story that a test run of the Punt was carried out by the central bank during the week?

I believe it was yesterday, about tea time.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I would rather someone without a finance background at this stage the "experts" havent being filling me with confidence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

If the OP can do some basic addition and get it right within 3 billion or so, there's a nice auditor job available in euro land.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

NO
    But we really really really do not want it to collapse. It would be an economic disaster not just for us but the economic world.

well,just say the euro collapsed and we took control over the supposed oil and gas fields, by disregard of any contract with norway. since the euro is ruined it doesnt really matter if were then thrown out of the eu does it! since oil and gas are a demanded material would it not leave us with the makings of a strong currency. I know taking control of it would be breaking the rules but if we sold cheap oil would countries not overlook it as at the end of the day it looks like every countries in it for themself! Just wonderin how it would all work! i expect the replies shall be funny :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

galwayrush wrote: »
    I believe it was yesterday, about tea time.:rolleyes:

Its a legitimate question, no need to get sarky with me.

anno do you've a problem with me our just like to try and assert some power through your opinion. you sound like a walter mitty kinda guy by your actions. id say when u get off this your going to face the firin sqaud, i.e. the missus, or in your case probably your mother since i doubt you've hooked up yet. ( no offence just your posts depict you as that kind of guy)n

p.s. threw in a few text words and gramattical errors in der for your amusement

Ah bless it's trying to insult me. At least I think that's what it is, hard to tell with all those letters missing.

Ah bless it's trying to insult me.

If your goin to try and preach the ways of english, at least get your grammer correct. Good boy,,,,,,, any last wishes before you get off this and are faced by the firing squad\reality

If your goin to try and preach the ways of english, at least get your grammer correct. Good boy,,,,,,, any last wishes before you get off this and are faced by the firing squad\reality

You've lost me there buddy. But carry on.... it's funny watching newbies get pompous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

*gets popcorn, waits for mod*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Ya know there's the Thunderdrome for this kind of shite right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

We should splinter off and have a new currency, and there will be a competition on what to call it, and another competition on what the design will look like and loads of jobs will be created, what with all the money designing and stuff.

And we'll invite the Spanish, the Italians and Portugeese ( Not the Greeks though, can't trust the ****ers) and we'll give out free money, and we'll throw a huge currency party and it'll be great fun and then there will be no more recession and then we can get back to doing what we're best at, buying ridicolously priced houses while playing golf.. it will be great like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

GalKiefer wrote: »
    Ya know there's the Thunderdrome for this kind of shite right?
    That could apply to a LOT of AH's threads, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I mentioned this as a bargaining chip/threat weeks ago, and the reply was - politicians would never be that underhand... lol

why not???? if Enda went to europe and said.... look we will bring down the euro if yez dont back the fcuk up and downgrade our debt, germany would lose a lot more than us, and the other euro banks we are bailing out... I think its a valid option albeit a threat, but for once can this country have balls and influence something...???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

i think no actually. were too small

Really? How, why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

No

old_aussie wrote: »
    No

Old aussie,

Im thinking about going to Oz on my holidays. Any suggestions on what to see?

I quite fancy going to your "outback" however snakes scare me. Will your customs allow me to bring my gun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Ireland has no known deposits of gas or oil off its shores.Thanks for sharing all the same and i will see you in the prison thread very soon !!:pac:
    Watch out for the soap now !!

Perhaps that question should be,
    Could the Euro collapse Ireland?

The answer is yes it did, Germany used Ireland and other countries as "growhouses" for their pension money.

Babyboomer pensions maturing is one of the main causes of the current financial mess, banks faced a looming surge in demands for payment from the babyboomers who were all retiring at about the same time and they realised that there would be insufficient funds to pay out. So they had to grow the money quickly by making more and more risky investments.

As part of the Euro, they were secure in the knowledge that their investments wouldn't be devalued by currency fluctuations. The boom times of the CT proved the strategy to be correct, but they didn't foresee the limitations to growth caused by the physical limits to how many houses, shops etc that could be built and sold at ever increasing prices.

At the same time the US was overloaded with subprime mortgages (their equivalent problem). Their collapse exposed the German banks problems when the Irish banks failed and were bailed out.

Peak oil then sneaked up and high fuel prices killed the growth.
    No increases in oil supply > no growth > no spare money to pay debt > debts growing = currency crisis.

Whether the Euro collapses or not, the root causes are still there and will cause us real problems in the future.

• Advertisement

Any currency change over will be planned in great secrecy, to avoid capital flight (probably too late for that).

Any sane government or business/bank ought to have a (Business continuity plan) for every realistic event/disaster so that they aren't caught out and hopelessly unable to respond.

Just having a contingency plan, doesn't mean you're going to use it.

As for the original question, I don't know.

My guess is that there is about a 20% chance of a major event over Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Snake in the grass = Euro sceptic

Don't let them spread their propaganda, the end result is we'll all be worse off while gettin their ching ching groove on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Any currency change over will be planned in great secrecy, to avoid capital flight (probably too late for that).

Any sane government or business/bank ought to have a (Business continuity plan) for every realistic event/disaster so that they aren't caught out and hopelessly unable to respond.

Just having a contingency plan, doesn't mean you're going to use it.

As for the original question, I don't know.

My guess is that there is about a 20% chance of a major event over Christmas.
    that would be a good quess,germany itself is on shaky ground,its debt problem is big,only thing no one is talking about it. as far as contingency plans go,i know the UK has done its home work in the event of a EU going tits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

No, we're something in the region of one per cent of the Eurozone in economic terms. We're much, much bigger in delusions of grandeur terms, but still not big enough to be able to sabotage a continental project. :)

Come to think of it, we're not quite that dumb, either.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have gold hidden in the stump of a tree.

Caoimhín wrote: »
    I have gold hidden in the stump of a tree.
    thats fools gold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

One could argue that the Euro is already collapsing with or without Ireland's direct involvement in doing so.

getz wrote: »
    thats fools gold

I am indeed a fool. But im an armed fool.

"Before all else, be armed."
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Caoimhín wrote: »
    I am indeed a fool. But im an armed fool.

"Before all else, be armed."
    Niccolo Machiavelli
    i hides under the table

getz wrote: »
    i hides under the table

Damn right.

Roooooah. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement