Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could Ireland collapse the euro if they wanted..

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

philologos wrote: »
    One could argue that the Euro is already collapsing with or without Ireland's direct involvement in doing so.

The Euro won't see the end of 2012 Quarter 1 at the latest IMO .

Stock up on your beans!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    The Euro won't see the end of 2012 Quarter 1 at the latest IMO .

Stock up on your beans!

About a 20% chance over the Christmas period I suspect, two years max, unless of course the grand fiscal union goes ahead and Ireland is included.

Life will carry on without it, we're not going to be in the "shotguns & beans" phase for a while yet. It will play havoc with the prices of imported goods though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

About a 20% chance over the Christmas period I suspect, two years max, unless of course the grand fiscal union goes ahead and Ireland is included.

Life will carry on without it, we're not going to be in the "shotguns & beans" phase for a while yet. It will play havoc with the prices of imported goods though.

Yeah I saw you said that on page 2. You probably know alot more than me in fairness. But when you see the cost of borrowing for Italy, and Spain saying they'll need help in December, even the Germans struggling to auction bonds,and every serious investor in the world trying to get as far away from Euro as possible, I do think it'll survive over Christmas. But not much longer afterwards!

And of course, havoc with the price of imported goods means havoc with the price of oil which means havoc with the price of everything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I don't know I think the EU will have the final say if Ireland can collapse the Euro in Ireland change it to another currency or change back to the punt or sterling. Ireland could propose it but they would have to make agreements with the EU.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Yeah I saw you said that on page 2. You probably know alot more than me in fairness. But when you see the cost of borrowing for Italy, and Spain saying they'll need help in December, even the Germans struggling to auction bonds,and every serious investor in the world trying to get as far away from Euro as possible, I do think it'll survive over Christmas. But not much longer afterwards!

And of course, havoc with the price of imported goods means havoc with the price of oil which means havoc with the price of everything!

I'm no expert on this situation, but I have decided that I would find out as much as possible to avoid being completely exposed by any collapse or whatever may happen.

Things like taking out extra cash just before Christmas and filling up the car is the most that many can do, just in case the ATMs freeze up before new years day. The smart people have already moved their savings.

At the end of the day, there is little most individuals can actually do, except avoid panicking when something does happen.

Advertisement