Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Umami paste - worth buying??

Options
  • 25-11-2011 10:18pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So has anyone tried this, is it worth buying. as I'm getting older :eek: I find my tastebuds changing and I'm craving stronger tasting foods.
    I wondered if this would help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It is intensely salty and sour.
    I like it but struggle to find uses for it.
    It's not a million miles away from tamarind extract but salty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

I bought a tube of this and was wondering what to do with it.

Was thinking of adding it to some homemade burgers.

Anyone any decent tips on its use ?

I found it very good in Asian style fish cakes (just a little)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Umami is good to use in low salt foods as it compensates for the lack of saltyness.

I don't know that I'd bother buying it though. It's common enough in a lot of foods.

One use for it would be to add it to caramalised onions and beef stock in a brown onion stew. The umamai and onions sort of concentrate the beef taste.

A good substitute is actually Thai Fish Oil which has massive ammounts of amami in it. Just a few drops in any beef/game dish along with caramalised onions will really punch the meaty flavours up a few levels.

It's also naturally found in ripe tomatoes, especialy in the seeds and gooey pulp around them.

Halve 6 big ripe vine tomatoes and scoop the seends into a sieve sitting over a bowl. sprinkle with salt and leave it for 10 minutes, the water from the seeds and goo with drip into the bowl, you will have a sort of tomato water. Use this to deglaze a stew/cassarol pot and cook it out for a few mins before adding your stock will do the same job as umami paste.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

thanks for the advice Seaneh, you just saved me the bones of a fiver on something that will prob just sit in my cupboard. I can use the 'fish stuff' which has also been sat in there for a little while:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I was thinking of umeboshi paste.
    Can't comment on umami paste but I think I want some!!

Advertisement