Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why dont they make Thomas St& Litte Catherine street a proper pedestrian street

• 26-11-2011 12:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Was in town round 5ish today and great buzz round the streets busy enough
    I know Thomas street is used by traffic but the way the street is laid out alot of the people thing its a pedestrian street.I know there is small poles to mark out the road but today saw a car flying through the junction and on Little Catherine street saw a kid nearly get hit a by van,it was going very slow but still it ruins a lovely little shopping street

Its dangerous and its also a waste of all the work that was done on Thomas st

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Ya I agree. Could never figure out why it was necessary to allow traffic through Little William St. and up Thomas Street when they could continue up William Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I agree that people just wander along in front of traffic and people coming from Catherine Street onto Thomas St(in cars) believe they have right of way which is dangerous as well. Even though I love having that little access route so I can get to where I want to go I think that it should be fully pedestrianised like a proper street. 7:30 - 10:30am and lock the street. Cruises Street was supposed to be like this but people can nearly drive up and down Cruises Street most days without a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I agree that people just wander along in front of traffic and people coming from Catherine Street onto Thomas St(in cars) believe they have right of way which is dangerous as well. Even though I love having that little access route so I can get to where I want to go I think that it should be fully pedestrianised like a proper street. 7:30 - 10:30am and lock the street. Cruises Street was supposed to be like this but people can nearly drive up and down Cruises Street most days without a problem.

That's coz cruises street is dead :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Cruises street is only accessible before 11am.
    The main reason for allowing traffic from William st across to Thomas street (behind Brown Thomas) is to cater for deliveries to the shops on lower Thomas st.
    Also, it is the only "all-day" access from William st as both other lanes have bollards from 11am.
    In fairness, if someone needs to drop their elderly, frail, arthritic Grandmother to O'Connor's Cafe or Fitrite (or Danny Bulman's Tattoo shop) should they really have to travel all the way up to the top of William St., across Gerard Griffin St., turn onto Wickham St. (or sit on Roches St. and admire the traffic),etc,etc.
    To be honest I think Limerick worked better when you could drive around on any street.....just look at the first pedestrianised (albeit made-up from a hotel etc.) street we had, it's now becoming a no-go area.
    Whether Limerick city Council like it or not, people want to drive their cars to the shops, if they cannot do that they will drive to the next available shopping area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Cruises street is only accessible before 11am.
    The main reason for allowing traffic from William st across to Thomas street (behind Brown Thomas) is to cater for deliveries to the shops on lower Thomas st.
    Also, it is the only "all-day" access from William st as both other lanes have bollards from 11am.
    In fairness, if someone needs to drop their elderly, frail, arthritic Grandmother to O'Connor's Cafe or Fitrite (or Danny Bulman's Tattoo shop) should they really have to travel all the way up to the top of William St., across Gerard Griffin St., turn onto Wickham St. (or sit on Roches St. and admire the traffic),etc,etc.
    To be honest I think Limerick worked better when you could drive around on any street.....just look at the first pedestrianised (albeit made-up from a hotel etc.) street we had, it's now becoming a no-go area.
    Whether Limerick city Council like it or not, people want to drive their cars to the shops, if they cannot do that they will drive to the next available shopping area.

Yes, you can't expect to be able to park your car outside of every single shop in the city.

Also Cruises St. is becomming a no-go area because of all the chuggars that line it. Admittedly its retail offering isn't as good as it was but I would put that down to to fact that most big brands require bigger shops than are available on Cruises St, not because it's pedestrianised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I never suggested that you should park outside every shop you want to visit, simply that you should be able to access the city in a practical way.

As for cruises st. it is becoming a no-go area for far more serious reasons than a few clipboard-wielding pests....it's become a hangout for handbag snatching, shoplifting, undesirables (better not use the "K" word).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Very disappointed to see loads of cars parked on lower Thomas street on the pavement, between the Bollards between Aubars and Brown Thomas.
    Never seen any of them get parking tickets.
    It ruins the look of the place.

People manage to get their cars between the bollards and onto the pavement above Aubars at night time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Very disappointed to see loads of cars parked on lower Thomas street on the pavement, between the Bollards between Aubars and Brown Thomas.
    Never seen any of them get parking tickets.
    It ruins the look of the place.

People manage to get their cars between the bollards and onto the pavement above Aubars at night time.

Builder, between Aubars and Augustinian Lane is actually a loading bay so parking there is allowed (mainly for trucks and vans to do deliveries).

Advertisement