Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why don't schools teach kids more about nutrition?

• 26-11-2011 1:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭

Okay so, I'm currently learning about nutrition in College, around 7 years too late, I'm now 19. I find it really interesting. These things that I'm learning now is basically what I should have been taught years ago. I am by no means overweight, I'm a healthy weighted guy.

We all know how Obesity levels here have spiralled out of control in the past 10-20 years with Levels in England for example rising over 10% in Boys aged 11-15 during 1995-2004. And i can almost guarantee this level is similar here in Ireland. Across the Atlantic childhood obesity figures are over 32%.

Then take in the children who are deemed overweight but not in the category of obese, yet. We have a problem.

What is Childhood obesity?
    Childhood obesity is a condition where excess body fat negatively affects a child's health or wellbeing

How is it measured? By getting the body mass index of the child.
    Body mass index is defined as the individual's body weight divided by the square of his or her height.
    Yes , I know BMI may be a poor indicator of Health etc. in very muscular people but in children it is a very easy and simple way of getting a fine estimate of your child's weight height ratio.

Childhood obesity is a massive pandemic, and it's spreading like wildfire. it is causing millions of euro to be spent later down the line in hospital and treatment facilities for diseases related to obesity, so why not try to tackle it at the source? It should be made mandatory for schools to teach nutritional values and data to kids. Teach them about calories and fats and carbs and proteins, give them all the data. Scare them with pictures of overweight adults. Show them the health risks of being overweight. Give them the data, and let them choose. When they are 12-13, that's when you want to be drumming this into them, perhaps even younger than this.

One hour per week or whatever to teach them this can't hurt them, and I can only see it doing good. Yes I know schools are trying to promote healthy food and telling parents to do this by only packing healthy foods etc..... but do kids actually understand why they should be swapping that mars bar for the carrot or are they just doing it because they are told to? Currently what schools are doing just isn't enough.

Tackle the root of the problem to prevent it from growing. Also a lot of problem may lie with the parents as they are the ones feeding them, but the kids can easily be educated in this way on nutrition which can actually lead to them teaching their parents!

Most obesity is caused by overeating on bad foods and NOT a lack of exercise. Most ad's etc. place the emphasis on exercise which is important but eating the right balanced diet is far more important. Drum it into them when they're young and they'll have it forever.

Childhood obesity is a problem, a major problem and it must be tackled head on.

So why isn't nutrition a mandatory subject in primary and secondary schools?

I know I posted in AH, and I'll probably get a few 'I wanna be witty and get no.1 reply spot for thanks whoring' reply but this is a serious matter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

err I went to school in the 80's and early 90's they taught us about eating right then... must of stopped eh?

Guys aren't taught nutrition mainly because Home Ec isn't provided for them in most schools, or it would be seen to be some stigma for some stupid reason. Have a penis? Make something with metal/wood instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Conspiracy dude..... it's like totally Kraft Foods that are blocking the nutrition education in this country.

They've got their fingers in every chicken pot pie going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Dónal wrote: »
    Guys aren't taught nutrition mainly because Home Ec isn't provided for them in most schools, or it would be seen to be some stigma for some stupid reason. Have a penis? Make something with metal/wood instead!
    You get it in Science too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Op, its obvious you don't have any kids because if you had you would know that no amount of learning at school would make them eat vegetables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Eh healthy eating was taught in primary school in the 90's, reading the paper tells me that they're even more into it now, nutrition is a huge part of Home EC in secondary and I recall it being a part of SPHE.

Don't blame the schools, don't blame the kids, blame the idiots that are supposed to be taking care of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

cos kids suck and everyone wants them dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

One of the biggest issues is that what gets taught as "healthy eating" isn't very healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Why don't schools here actually have physical education instead of here go play soccer for an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Eh healthy eating was taught in primary school in the 90's, reading the paper tells me that they're even more into it now, nutrition is a huge part of Home EC in secondary and I recall it being a part of SPHE.

Don't blame the schools, don't blame the kids, blame the idiots that are supposed to be taking care of them.
    Absolutely. Should your teacher show you how to wipe your ar*e as well? Schools are there to offer an opportunity to learn to think. Parents take care of the rest. Simple. Did you eat your first ever meal on your first day of school? Didn't think so...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Arawn wrote: »
    Why don't schools here actually have physical education instead of here go play soccer for an hour.

I remember our PE tried to make us do gymnastics in one class. We refused so she just let us go back to playing football. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

But what if they were taught that a low fat/high carb diet (as dictated by the food pyramid) was a healthy diet?

That would do more harm than good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I did home ec in first year. Very basic stuff but it was the essential things I needed to know and it set me up for life tbh. I did biology too which was handy. If people don't do home ec they definitely should teach basic nutrition and address the things that people think. I have friends in their 20s and 30s who believe the whole big boned/ slow metabolism thing is the reason why many people are obese.

My school did, and I was expected to play various sports for the school in my spare time, at the same time I know people who had a half hour game of dodge ball a week so experiences vary there incredibly, but then again is it the schools responsibility? Would it not be more up to the parents to get their kids into a healthy group activity at a young age so they grow up enjoying it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Wouldn't it be easier just to teach them at home? :rolleyes:

We don't have to learn everything in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

There's not that much to teach:

Eat fresh vegetables, fresh meat and couple of pieces of fruit a day. Don't touch grains or anything else.

Done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You can't expect schools to be responsible for everything.

If kids are getting fat, it's because of the shite their parents feed them or allow them to eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

double GG wrote: »
    Why don't schools teach kids more about nutrition?

I agree with you wholeheartedly and without reservation that childhood obesity is a massive problem. I see it every day, and I see that there is a link between it and socio-economic status. The state, through advertisements and teachers, can and should tackle it. Most schools already have restrictions on what is sold in the school shop or canteen if there is one.

However, and more pertinently, why don't parents take responsibility for their kids and feed them meals which take time and effort to prepare?

The principal problem here is the parents who are too lazy or/and too overwhelmed by their own lives that they take the easy way out and give their kids whatever crap food will shut them up quickest. The same parents then end up screaming at their children when they become hyper from all the sugar.

It's a sad situation, but parents and not schools are the primary problem by a long shot. Start any campaigns at home, where kids eat most of their food and develop their eating habits. Use schools by all means to reinforce this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

My school did, and I was expected to play various sports for the school in my spare time, at the same time I know people who had a half hour game of dodge ball a week so experiences vary there incredibly, but then again is it the schools responsibility? Would it not be more up to the parents to get their kids into a healthy group activity at a young age so they grow up enjoying it?
    Indeed it is, but if it's on the school timetable it should be taken seriously. I swear all the girls had periods every week for years in my school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

We learned about nutrition in SPHE and in Science,and in fifth year the school had a sexual awareness day where lots of experts and a doctor and nurse came in and answered whatever questions we had.They also had some guy who had AIDS come in and tell us the story of how he contracted it,but in the end he revealed he was an actor.

Quite good for a Catholic boys only school run by the Marist Brothers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

I have two school going children. They are educated about nutrition at school.

They are not allowed to bring anything unhealthy into school.

Its not the schools sole responsibility to ensure that children eat a healthy diet. They input what informatin they can.

Its the parents responsibility to make sure their children eat a heatly diet.

Look back 25 or 30 years ago, I honestly dont remember seeing an obese child when i was a kid.

Sign of the times. Sad but true.

For the record, my kids are healthy.

They also had some guy who had AIDS come in and tell us the story of how he contracted it,but in the end he revealed he was an actor.

That would have pissed me off no end.... they try & teach you something by basically bringing in someone to tell you a fucking lie?

Jesus H.

Indeed it is, but if it's on the school timetable it should be taken seriously. I swear all the girls had periods every week for years in my school.
    I suppose they should be aiming for a certain standard if two hours a week are being dedicated to it, I was amazed a few months back when talking to my little cousin, she's doing PE as part of her GCSEs and is actually expected to do work for it, there's an exam in health and fitness and stuff and all, I must admit a lot of what I looked at was new to me.

If kids are getting fat, it's because of the shite their parents feed them or allow them to eat.

Spot on. A child will eat lunch in school 5 days a week, 2 meals at home 5 days a week and 3 meals at home 2 days a week.

That's assuming the family operate a traditional 3 meal day. Even if the kid is bring lunch money as opposed to a prepared lunch it's still only 5 meals out of 21 a week the child is in control of what they eat.

It needs to fall back on parents at the end of the day.

Most of the stuff taught in school is crap that has no relevance to real life.

Which can't be said for nutrition.

tempura wrote: »
    Look back 25 or 30 years ago, I honestly dont remember seeing an obese child when i was a kid.

There was a really fat kid in my class. His parents owned a shop & he came into school every day with bags full of chocolate & sweets.

Thinking back on it now, it was pretty sad.. he was really unpopular because he was so big - I mean fucking massive - but always had people hanging around with him because he used to give people sweets, bars & money he'd nick from the shop till.

These days though, there's fucking loads of fat kids. Most of them look about 10 years older than they actually are. It's a ticking time bomb for the health services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Seriously? Schools? This kinda thing should be taught at home. I am shocked at how much crap some parents allow their kids eat. I used to babysit a lot when I was younger and couldn't get over the amount of junk food children eat!

We weren't allowed sweets/biscuits/most breakfast cereals/cakes/fizzy drinks etc.. when we were young. Only time we got to eat anything like that was cake at a birthday party!

It's down to the parents really. Most overweight children I see have overweight parents sooo..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

This thread is way too sensible for After Hours.

I say more fat kids.
    Little feckers will wreck their makeup wearing mammy's 4 wheel drive jeeps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

kids learn about what too eat at home, my 2 girls aged 5 and 2 eat what i think they need per day.. they exercise as in trampoline, walking and use my weights and my gym equipment 2 times a week for fun but also learning about their bodies..

• Advertisement

One of the biggest issues is that what gets taught as "healthy eating" isn't very healthy.

Ah now, come on, we'll have less of this implicit cynicism. Next you'll be saying mad things like the food pyramid is set up to ensure that products such as grains which are more economically important are given a greater emphasis in the daily diet because of lobbying by the food industry. Madness!

mickrock wrote: »
    Most of the stuff taught in school is crap that has no relevance to real life.

Which can't be said for nutrition.

Most of the stuff you are taught in school doesn't need to have any relevance in real life.

School education is supposed to give you a broad education in a number of academic subjects.

The real life stuff is what you learn for yourself from your peers & parents, the way it should be.

They also had some guy who had AIDS come in and tell us the story of how he contracted it,but in the end he revealed he was an actor.

It wasn't Rock Hudson, was it?!

Lia_lia wrote: »
    It's down to the parents really. Most overweight children I see have overweight parents sooo..

And overweight dogs too for some reason.

They looks so damn cute trying to walk and breathe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

That would have pissed me off no end.... they try & teach you something by basically bringing in someone to tell you a fucking lie?

Jesus H.

Yeah we were all a bit pissed off when he told us because he had been quite convincing and we all felt terrible for him.

Think we got off at 12 that day though so we weren't that upset about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

tempura wrote: »
    I have two school going children. They are educated about nutrition at school.

They are not allowed to bring anything unhealthy into school.

Its not the schools sole responsibility to ensure that children eat a healthy diet. They input what informatin they can.

Its the parents responsibility to make sure their children eat a heatly diet.

Sign of the times. Sad but true.

For the record, my kids are healthy.

You say they are not allowed to bring anything unhealthy into school. I'm sure the school allows white bread sandwiches with plastic meat and cheese. Kids would be better off eating the corner of their desk from a nutrition point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Thanks for the replies. I do agree it should be started at home too, but then again I'd say most parents haven't a clue about anything nutritional.

TheUsual wrote: »
    And overweight dogs too for some reason.

They looks so damn cute trying to walk and breath.

Have you ever tried to take an overweight dog for a walk?

It's a real drag.

You say they are not bring allowed to bring anything unhealthy into school. I'm sure the school allows white bread sandwiches with plastic meat and cheese. Kids would be better off eating the corner of their desk from a nutrition point of view.

Ah Crunchy Desk Corners, one of Kellog's less than stellar products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

A lot of parents don't know about nutrition the same way they wouldn't know about history and you wouldn't expect them to teach that at home so why not teach it in school for one term a year?

If all the population were health conscious and educated then there wouldn't be so many obese children and the threat of an obesity epidemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ah, back safely in the AH zone.... crunch desk corners.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Schools are in loco parentis though, so while it's the parents' responsibility first and foremost, the kids are in school a hell of a lot. It's good that some schools have a healthy eating policy - my friend was only saying there's opposition to it from parents re her son's school, as they feel the school has a cheek to dictate... yet if something happened to their kid during school hours they'd hold the school responsible, so which is it to be?
    I think a nutrition lesson is a good idea - and could be done in an interesting, fun way.

Have you ever tried to take an overweight dog for a walk?
    It's a real drag.

Skatebaords dude, get with the program !

You say they are not allowed to bring anything unhealthy into school. I'm sure the school allows white bread sandwiches with plastic meat and cheese. Kids would be better off eating the corner of their desk from a nutrition point of view.

I was guessing someone would say that ! Acutally no, the plastic meat and cheese is strongly advised against.

Im fortunate in that my children go to a very progressive school. Educate together. Pity theres not more of these schools. They are streets ahead of many schools.

Thanks for the replies. I do agree it should be started at home too, but then again I'd say most parents haven't a clue about anything nutritional.

Bloody hell !

Thats a huge statement to make.

On yer bike nipper !

Speaking of Kellogs and the rest of the food industry, some of you might remember a few years ago in Britain the Food Safety Authority attempted to introduce a more transparent "traffic lights" labelling system on food as the GDA system which the industry preferred was too obscurantist. The food industry giants like Kellogs successfully resisted the state's attempt to legislate for more transparent labelling.

This is why you'll now see the food industry's own GDA measurements on products rather than the more transparent state "traffic lights" labelling. If the much larger British state cannot stand up to these food companies on the issue of labelling, it's unlikely the Irish state will be doing so. Hopefully, the EU will have the power and the will to legislate for EU-wide transparent nutritional information.

A quick google and this is the story I'm thinking about:

Label wars: GDA vs traffic lights (4 January 2007)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Dayo93

he He thinlk I was in the wrong threads

I do agree it should be started at home too, but then again I'd say most parents haven't a clue about anything nutritional.

What do you consider a healthy diet to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Is it on the LC? Is there a test question paper that covers it? Need I say more?

DRLFTW.

Advertisement