Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I make rifles, reckon the IDA would help me move my business to Ireland?

Options
  • 26-11-2011 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

A few years back I manufactured firearms, specifically rifles.
    This was here in the USA.
    I made some money with it but ended up letting my license expire a few years back.
    I've still got all the tooling and could probably get back up to line start in a few days.

I doubt I will get any actual hard technical responses on state programs, corporate liability, Tax ID stuff etc from you AH guys and girls, my question is more cultural.

If a small sporting arms company opened in your town and employed say 10 machinists, with around another 4-5 other non specialized support staff, would it be considered a good thing? Or a terrible thing to allow go on in your town?
    Could I expect damning editorials in the local paper and pickets?
    The profile of the place would be rather low, with no obvious branding to speak of.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Not a chance it would be allowed happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

I wouldn't have a problem personally.. But I would say there would be a moderate amount of resistance, depending really on the locality where you set up..

The biggest concern for most people I would think would be on the security of your premises, how likely is it someone would break in to steal them etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Theirs a lot of gun shops here and no bad mouth on the paper.

If u want to come to Ireland start a business and take 10 people off the dole then by all means welcome.. New business to Ireland is good business.

Once the rifles are under EU guide lines etc etc I wouldn't think their be any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

Rifles are illegal to own in Ireland, so no

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dirtymurder

Looks like theres a few anti gun people on this thread, id say you wouldnt have a problem setting up a business BUT getting business you might find hard. The gun culture in ireland is verry different than the usa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

This is bollocks. No they are not.

Just out of curiosity harmoniums, what sort of setup would you envisage? Local level gunsmithing? Production? Sporterising old military actions? Re-barrelling and custom work?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Not a chance it would be allowed happen!

The last firearms manufacturer of any scale I believe was in Laois, under the name Kavanagh, that was in the 70s during the height of the troubles, so if it could be done then, perhaps there is a chance.

It was a weird looking yoke, an over/under shotgun called "The Fenian"!

Looks like theres a few anti gun people on this thread, id say you wouldnt have a problem setting up a business BUT getting business you might find hard. The gun culture in ireland is verry different than the usa.

It would be mostly for the export market

This is bollocks. No they are not.

Just out of curiosity harmoniums, what sort of setup would you envisage? Local level gunsmithing? Production? Sporterising old military actions? Re-barrelling and custom work?

Soup to nuts, raw materials would be steel and aluminium.
    Barrels are the hard part, but I've got several thousand on hand right now, so manufacture of those would be further down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

I never knew that; obviously I would have thought they were restricted by license, but not completely illegal; learn something new everyday I suppose!

Does that law also mean they can't be manufactured for export?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If you do get up and running, it'd be a great resource for us if you stayed in the states, since you could cater to some interesting tastes with a vastly greater array of components over there and much lower costs to find things and put them together.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Closed for review by mods.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement