Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sandblasting with baking soda

Options
  • 26-11-2011 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Any help will be helpful.
    I am trying to get some graffiti off a wall. I have tried nitromors and pressure washer, while it have improved, there is still room for improvement.

Does anybody know whether sandblasting with baking soda is worth a try? Is there a type of baking soda to use with the pressure washer?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sandblasting works because sand is abrasive; i would guess that baking soda is not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Usually chemical treatment is sufficient and washed down but would sand blasting not damage the wall's surface?

AFAIK, your local council retain private cos to remove grafitti vandalism and there is No charge for this service.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

jaypea1 wrote: »
    Any help will be helpful.
    I am trying to get some graffiti off a wall. I have tried nitromors and pressure washer, while it have improved, there is still room for improvement.

Does anybody know whether sandblasting with baking soda is worth a try? Is there a type of baking soda to use with the pressure washer?
    Would the baking soda not dissolve? I doubt that a solution of water and baking soda would remove the graffiti.
    Cellulose thinners applied with a rag might be a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Soda blasting is a very effective way of removing paint and graffiti, its commonly used in vehicle restoration to remove rust as the bare metal doesn't rust after being blasted with Baking soda due to the chemical properties of baking soda.
    It is also used in fire damaged properties to remove smoke damage as it has a deodorizing effect.
    there are a few soda blasting companies here have a look at sodablast.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Soda blasting is a very effective way of removing paint and graffiti, its commonly used in vehicle restoration to remove rust as the bare metal doesn't rust after being blasted with Baking soda due to the chemical properties of baking soda.
    It is also used in fire damaged properties to remove smoke damage as it has a deodorizing effect.

As CJhaughey says, it very effective all round!

I even tried it on a small scale with a compressor and sand blasting attachment, its quite the job!

Edit: And its very safe and fairly environmentally friendly!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

CJhaughey wrote: »
    As CJhaughey says, it very effective all round!

I even tried it on a small scale with a compressor and sand blasting attachment, its quite the job!

Edit: And its very safe and fairly environmentally friendly!
    Well I never.
    That's great to know, I have know doubt that I'll end up using this technique sometime.

Is it used neat/dry or in a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Well as a substitute for shot/sand blasting its used dry.

Advertisement