Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Problem with Dating websites

• 26-11-2011 4:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

What you literally mean:
    I think you are a sexually attractive individual who I would like to meet in the immediate future. Your personality seems interesting, and I think that your personality is so interesting that I would like to talk to you for a prolonged period of time (even if we never had sexual contact.)
    And... Your profile has left such an impression on me, that I decided to message you.
    And since we are people that have no immediate connection, I feel the necessity to introduce myself, and that introduction begins with my name, and that name is (insert name)

What you have to say:
    Hi, how are you. I am too embarrassed to say what I actually mean, so I decided to ask a question about your profile. As a matter of fact I am so freaking embarrassed I am going to just ask "How are you?" And if I am lucky to have a smidgen of confidence maybe I will make joke about your profile.
    Oh, I am going to casually introduce myself. (The end.)

Am I the only one that feels this way about dating websites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Dating websites are for lonely lonely lonely people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Dating sites are $hit, op.
    Of course depends on the gender you talk to. A woman gets more fun out of it than a bloke.
    But it has to be said there is a pretty good percentage of people who use dating sites on boards and who will jump to defend the honor of them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Dating sites are ****, op.
    Of course depends on the gender you talk to. A woman gets more fun out of it than a bloke.

But it has to be said there is a pretty good percentage of people who use dating sites on boards and who will jump to defend the honor of them :rolleyes:

And you have found one of them ;)

OPENROAD wrote: »
    And you have found one of them ;)

:confused:

Don't knock them...you just never know ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

the problem with "dating" websites is that some people (women) put photos of them with their kids/ex partners or group pics with their friends on their profile pic............ yeah really interesting IF ITS FACEBOOK... ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Don't knock them...you just never know ;)
    To be honest if you need to use a site I think you already know.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    To be honest if you need to use a site I think you already know.

Me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

olivia432 wrote: »
    really this post is awesome

Yes it is, Olivia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

olivia432 wrote: »
    really this post is awesome

So awesome in fact that you told us twice!!:P

yermandan wrote: »
    So awesome in fact that you told us twice!!:P

Twice? Look at all her posts, she's told us 22 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Kiera wrote: »
    Twice? Look at all her posts, she's told us 22 times.

Just saw it on another thread too!! Poor Olivia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

If you hover over the time at the bottom right hand side of your computer screen it tells you the date.

No need to go to a website.

For clarity it is currently the 26th November 2011.

I checked.

If you hover over the time at the bottom right hand side of your computer screen it tells you the date.

No need to go to a website.

For clarity it is currently the 26th November 2011.

I checked.

This time next month it will be all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Dating sites are $hit, op.

I will, I've done quite well out of it and met my current girlfriend online. Being attractive and funny and not a moany bollix with a chip on my shoulder helps, I must admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Who gives a ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

godspal wrote: »
    What you literally mean:
    I think you are a sexually attractive individual who I would like to meet in the immediate future. Your personality seems interesting, and I think that your personality is so interesting that I would like to talk to you for a prolonged period of time (even if we never had sexual contact.)
    And... Your profile has left such an impression on me, that I decided to message you.
    And since we are people that have no immediate connection, I feel the necessity to introduce myself, and that introduction begins with my name, and that name is (insert name)

What you have to say:
    Hi, how are you. I am too embarrassed to say what I actually mean, so I decided to ask a question about your profile. As a matter of fact I am so freaking embarrassed I am going to just ask "How are you?" And if I am lucky to have a smidgen of confidence maybe I will make joke about your profile.
    Oh, I am going to casually introduce myself. (The end.)

Am I the only one that feels this way about dating websites?
    Ah cmon whats the worst that can happen, build up that confidence and spit it out man, they haven't yet invented the button that lets someone slap you across the internet. And if they had and she did it probably wasn't going to work anyway. Be random!

Well worst case scenario you don't get a date, which isn't the worst thing in the world when you're on a dating website, as there are plenty of profiles out there. So why don't you say:
    godspal wrote: »

yermandan wrote: »
    Just saw it on another thread too!! Poor Olivia
    She did it to me three times so far. Maybe she's trying to earn her second star quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Dating sites or the personal's were once seen as sad. But not now, the internet just seems to be another way of making friends. Even on this site people have met.

I would have loved those sites when I was in my twenties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Who the **** is Olivia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Nothing at all, its good for the ride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

i wouldnt use it or even consider it but each to their own :) theres a stigma to it but if you get a hot girl(or lad if your a girl) then why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

44leto wrote: »
    Dating sites or the personal's were once seen as sad. But not now, the internet just seems to be another way of making friends. Even on this site people have met.
    Arawn wrote: »
    Dating websites are for lonely lonely lonely people.

It seems peoples attitudes haven't changed that much. ironic to say using an internet dating site is sad, while writing about it on an internet forum of another site.

It seems peoples attitudes haven't changed that much. ironic to say using an internet dating site is sad, while writing about it on an internet forum of another site.

My belief is who cares if someone uses them. Its not sad and its ones own business but don't go around telling people. Keep it to yourself. (obviously referring to in the real world and not on boards :P )

I remember getting a haircut in a local barbers 2 years ago. Was talking to the barber (mid 20s guy) seemed an alight bloke but he was openly talking about dating sites to me as we chat, i didnt mind, but other people waiting were listening to him. proceeds to pull out his phone to show a picture of a girl he was about to have a date with (wouldnt be surprised if that was lies .. you know yourself) but everyone was listening.

All you'd get is people sniggering or making comments behind your back. I know "fuck them" and all that. But keep it to yourself. No harm in close friends knowing or what not. But not random strangers :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

To actually form an opinion on them.. Best advice, set a date for yourself when u think u think u should have found someone. If it passes that date and nothing good, stop using, try something else. Maybe go back in the medium to long term. They're best avoided but there's the odd gem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    To actually form an opinion on them.. Best advice, set a date for yourself when u think u think u should have found someone. If it passes that date and nothing good, stop using, try something else. Maybe go back in the medium to long term. They're best avoided but there's the odd gem.

Two of my cousin met their current partners on a dating site and both relationship are going over a year and I think going well.

So they do work out for some people. They are also very convenient for people who don't get much of a chance to go out and meet people like seperated people etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

internet forum = place for people to chat.

Internet dating site= place for lonely people to find other lonely people imo.

Two different things with different purposes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Arawn wrote: »
    internet forum = place for people to chat.

Internet dating site= place for lonely people to find other lonely people imo.

Two different things with different purposes

internet forum- a place for losers with no friends to chat

internet dating site- a place where two people can hook up

just sayin(i dont use datin sites)

Yea :)

Advertisement