Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Startup Company Software

Options
  • 26-11-2011 6:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Folks,
    Im new to boards,i was hoping somebody could help me out and advise me on some queries i have with a new business venture i have.
    I have a property in Ireland which used to be attractive years ago and had many large functions and entertainment through the years.
    As most of you know the current situation has meant customers are just not there anymore!
    I have a new idea involving opening the function room area into an office space where i would hope to employ employees involved in software development particularly mobile apps.
    First off, I don't have much experience with IT and i was hoping somebody on boards could guide me to where i should begin!!
    I need to know who i need and who would be capable of managing the business.
    Your thoughts would be well appreciated!
    Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭yenoah

Hi Folks,
    Im new to boards,i was hoping somebody could help me out and advise me on some queries i have with a new business venture i have.
    I have a property in Ireland which used to be attractive years ago and had many large functions and entertainment through the years.
    As most of you know the current situation has meant customers are just not there anymore!
    I have a new idea involving opening the function room area into an office space where i would hope to employ employees involved in software development particularly mobile apps.
    First off, I don't have much experience with IT and i was hoping somebody on boards could guide me to where i should begin!!
    Regards

So you're hoping to get into a business where you have little knowledge, no skills, no market or environment knowledge and you want to house this in a function room.... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Perhaps a little more homework on your part as in carrying out feasibility studies of a particular domain, perhaps one closer to your own abilities and experience. Enterprise Ireland, County Enterprise and IDA are all willing to give good advice. Its a shame that your property in Ireland "used to be attractive". Makes one wonder is it now run down?

Also, you have started this thread twice as your first post on some new account. Good way to start !
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75674079
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75674048

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

Hi Folks,
    Regards

First off, you will need to find someone who can develop mobile apps.

Secondly, you will need to convince this person that they are better off leaving the comfort of their own home to go to your, also comfortable I'm sure, function room for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, to develop mobile apps for your business rather than just staying at home and doing it for themselves. Since you are looking for someone else to manage the business, you might want them to do these nontrivial tasks.

To find someone capable of managing the business you could do worse than look to the numerous Eastern European immigrants in our great country who may have experience of life under a communist regime and thus would be aware of methods used to convince people that working in the service of "the greater good" of others is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Lads, this is not AH, show a little bit of cop on. While I admit it was a naive question on the OP's part, its not really for us to poke fun at the various aspects of it.

OP, your business venture is a little under-developed. Try and see

a) is there a market for what you want to do
    b) what would entice app developers to come and work for you
    c) can you enlist the help of someone who has experience in the IT space
    d) what are the goals of your company (cheap apps v quality apps, break even v profit first year) and how are you setting your business up to compete in a space thats already heavily saturated.

If you can't answer these questions honestly, in a way that convinces you your business will be a success, you may have to rethink your strategy.

Best of luck with it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

Lads, this is not AH, show a little bit of cop on. While I admit it was a naive question on the OP's part, its not really for us to poke fun at the various aspects of it.

OP, your business venture is a little under-developed. Try and see

a) is there a market for what you want to do
    b) what would entice app developers to come and work for you
    c) can you enlist the help of someone who has experience in the IT space
    d) what are the goals of your company (cheap apps v quality apps, break even v profit first year) and how are you setting your business up to compete in a space thats already heavily saturated.

If you can't answer these questions honestly, in a way that convinces you your business will be a success, you may have to rethink your strategy.

Best of luck with it though.

How dare you suggest that I am poking fun at the OP's proposed business venture! :eek:

a) Yes, this is why the OP is proposing the business idea! :rolleyes:

b) and c) I provided appropriate solutions to both of these

d) Your proposed goals are too narrow in definition and scope

OP, you are an unnecessary middle-man if all you have to offer to this proposed business is a function room which you would like to use as an office. There is lots of empty office space available all over the country as well as support, both financial and informational, to anyone with a viable business proposal.

http://www.enterprise-ireland.com/en/Researchers/Spin-Outs/Incubation-Centers-Maps-and-Contacts.html

Your entrepreneurial spirit is commendable but you will need to come up with a better idea for making a business out of your function room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

OP, I think you would be better of offering your assets to someone in exchange for equity. It's hard to tell, but if all you have is space, it could be useful to someone. Money of course will also get you places.

You will have to look into the market you invest in, but at least you can evaluate on other factors like how much revenue they have, employees, current investors, customers, e.t.c. rather than trying to bootstrapping it yourself.

If you are keen to start something, as others have touched upon, I think you really need to figure out what you can offer. You have touched upon office space. Do you have business experience and connections? Potential customers? Capital? Would you be funding the business?

At the moment, the only viable way I could see this working for you is a co-founder who would bring the technical know-how to the table. But office space probably won't be enough, as office space might just be seen as a nice-to-have; working from home is not that uncommon for software developers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I'm a little confused.

Are you a) trying to rent out office space or b) trying to start mobile development firm.

If it's A, then, it should be relatively straightforward and it doesn't matter who you rent to.
    If it's B, then there's many more questions and you would need to hire a tech person to lead such a team. If that's your intention I'd do some very serious market research about what kind of ROI you can get, as mobile apps are a bit of a goldrush at the moment, with very few people making decent money.

Advertisement