Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef fillet ideas?

Options
  • 26-11-2011 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Im hoping to impress my girlfriend and show her that im not totally useless by making somthing with beef fillet. It can be any style except standard frying or grilling, anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

Beef Wellington maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Beef Carpaccio?
    asian seared beef salad?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

why not oven roast the fillet steak - but slice a hole in it and add a small amount of cheese (red chedder) or vegetables....and a light layer of mustard.

make some onion gravy (beef stock, fried onions and water ...maybe some salt/pepper)

mashed potatoes (from actual potatoe ...not a packet) - boil some baby carrots , long stemmed broccolli and baby corn.

serving suggestion would be to make a bowl shape with the mash on the plate and put the gravy in the hole or keep gravy in a gravy bowl and let your guest decide if she wants gravy or not.

Tip: heat the plate before putting food on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MrSing

Thanks everyone so much! Going to try them all at some stage but going with the stroganoff this time!

Two questions, Is their any point in using fillet beef for this, would diced round steak be the same? would noodles be a good option with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

PCPhoto wrote: »
    why not oven roast the fillet steak - but slice a hole in it and add a small amount of cheese (red chedder) or vegetables....and a light layer of mustard.

make some onion gravy (beef stock, fried onions and water ...maybe some salt/pepper)

mashed potatoes (from actual potatoe ...not a packet) - boil some baby carrots , long stemmed broccolli and baby corn.

serving suggestion would be to make a bowl shape with the mash on the plate and put the gravy in the hole or keep gravy in a gravy bowl and let your guest decide if she wants gravy or not.

Tip: heat the plate before putting food on it.

OMG....That sounds horific!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Thud

MrSing wrote: »
    Thanks everyone so much! Going to try them all at some stage but going with the stroganoff this time!

Two questions, Is their any point in using fillet beef for this, would diced round steak be the same? would noodles be a good option with this?

It wouldn't be the same, it would be much tougher, you'd need to cook roundsteak for much longer to tenderise it. You could use sirloin steak as a substitute.

Rice would be more traditional with stroganoff but i'm sure you could try it with noodles if you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My advise would be to not use round steak for anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭47

Teriyaki beef with pepper, fresh corriander,garlic and ginger.

You can get teriyaki marinade in tescos for about 3 euro.

Dice up your beef into small pieces, marinade the beef for a few hours if you can if not dont worry just use the marinade directly before cooking.

Dice up some garlic,ginger,and corriander.

This dish should be ready to eat in less than five minutes depending on how well you like your beef done, I like mine medium rare so it takes me two-three minutes.

Fry the beef off for a moment then throw in the garlic,ginger and corriander about half way through cooking, add a little more of the teriyaki marinade, add some black pepper and a tablespoon of sugar for sweeteness. Take it off the pan put some more corriander on top, serve it with a side salad and rice. Happy days :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Its got to be Fillet really, if you want soft meat. You can normally get a cheaper price from butchers buy buying the end pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Gordon Ramsay's Beef Fillet with mushroom gratin, yummy!!! here's the recipe, I've done this a few times, it's in one of his books and I've found it to be pretty straightforward and absolutely delicious. Serve with homemade skinny fries and you're set!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 james405

A fillet Steak and garlic potatoes is quite impressive! Its pretty handy too, the only pain is dicing the potato into even strips! Yummy!

http://blog.thepremiumbutcher.ie/online-butcher/an-intimate-affair-creamy-garlic-potatoes-with-west-cork-dry-aged-fillet-steak/

• Registered Users Posts: 41 james405

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    OMG....That sounds horific!

ouch !! ... you are entitled to you opinion....I have to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Im hoping to impress my girlfriend and show her that im not totally useless by making somthing with beef fillet. It can be any style except standard frying or grilling, anyone got any ideas?

- I fry the fillet quickly on both sides to release the juices and plate it.
    - Add chopped onion, mushrooms, worchester sauce, dijon mustard to the juices.
    - Add an alcohol of your choosing, (brandy, white/red wine)
    - Tilt the pan to burn off the alcohol and simmer it.
    - Add 100mls of fresh cream and a clump of chopped parsley.

- Return the beef fillet and cook.

Serve with garlic roast potatoes with rosemary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Brendog wrote: »
    - I fry the fillet quickly on both sides to release the juices and plate it.
    - Add chopped onion, mushrooms, worchester sauce, dijon mustard to the juices.
    - Add an alcohol of your choosing, (brandy, white/red wine)
    - Tilt the pan to burn off the alcohol and simmer it.
    - Add 100mls of fresh cream and a clump of chopped parsley.

- Return the beef fillet and cook.

Serve with garlic roast potatoes with rosemary.

I can vouch for similar recipes to this one...even just adding brandy to the pan gives a great pan sauce ...

Advertisement