Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA Archive and Records Management

Options
  • 26-11-2011 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'll be doing a months volunteer work experience at the National Archives after xmas and I will be applying for odd bits of volunteer work in other archives over the next couple of months. However, my question is, does anyone have any idea of how much experience is enough....or does it depend more on the quality of the experience and what you got from it.

Anyone been through the application process ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

I'd be happy to give you some info, I graduated a couple of years ago. The more experience you have the better, but I think they want to know that you're passionate about archives and that you really know what the job involves, more than anything. Pretty sure one girl in my class didn't have any experience at all. I assume she did a great interview though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

Hey, thanks for that.

I did my first day of volunteering in an archive today and it was an eye opener (in a good way ) :D.

Hey, I was just wondering also if you knew about the work load involved in the course. I may have to look at working for some or all of the year to fund myself but if the course itself is very intense that may not be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

It's incredibly intense and our class were certainly discouraged from taking on part time work. It was really, really, really hard work with multiple assignments due each week. I don't think I could have handled a job during the course.

Thanks a million for getting back to me with that info. It will help me with my plan of action :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement