Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Welcome Inn still open these days?

Options
  • 26-11-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

I'd love to go there for a pint later but haven't been there in donkeys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

It sure is! Was in there the other week.
    Might not be open on Sundays though, except for match days. Really it depends on whether the owner feels like opening up or not! Sound guy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Never opened on a Sunday that I know. I'm gonna be in Parnell St. later anyway so I'll probably have a look see.

Never opened on a Sunday that I know. I'm gonna be in Parnell St. later anyway so I'll probably have a look see.

On a not completely unrelated topic, The Welcome Inn features quite prominently in the current series of Love/Hate on RTE.

That's what got me thirsty! I was like, I RECOGNISE THAT PLACE! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Great boozer.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Great boozer.

Seconded!

Haven't been down to it for years. I too was under the mistaken impression that it wasn't around anymore. Will definitely head in over the Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

The Welcome Inn can be randomly closed on most nights as well. Chances are John has gone to Fibbers or another local bar for a chat and will be back in a while. Great pint though. (I'm thirsty now :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Walked past it today I think - is it just before you come to the junction of Parnell St and O'Connell St?

cson wrote: »
    Walked past it today I think - is it just before you come to the junction of Parnell St and O'Connell St?

Yeah that's the place.

The Welcome Inn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I cant belive this place has so much fan fare. As long as I can remember I always thought it was some kind of kip and the past few years I thought it was abandoned. Never judge by apperances I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Its a total kip..a bit like fibbers really but then thats what gives it its charm.

If the place isnt open it means John has made enough for a few pints and is drinking them in Fibbers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Degsy wrote: »
    Its a total kip..a bit like fibbers really but then thats what gives it its charm.

It's like going back in time walking in there. You expect to see people smoking away and talking about Taoiseach Garret Fitzgerald
    If the place isnt open it means John has made enough for a few pints and is drinking them in Fibbers!

Sometimes he even gets as far afield as Grogan's! :eek:

Dancor wrote: »
    I always thought it was some kind of kip

Thank fuck.

There's enough chrome and glass jobs around Dublin as it is.

I didn't make it down on Saturday as Eddie Rockets serves beer but am gonna try getting down there next weekend. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Was in there a few years ago with a fella who worked in the Eircom building across the way,when I was walking back from the jacks a massive German Shephard dog just strolled past and nobody said a word,great auld place!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

It was open tonight when i passes, must check it out. Always thought it was a real dodgy pub as it looks like a sh1thole from the outside. Did someone get shot there few years back?

Warper wrote: »
    It was open tonight when i passes, must check it out. Always thought it was a real dodgy pub as it looks like a sh1thole from the outside. Did someone get shot there few years back?

Its not dodgy at all..its just gone to rack and ruin.

It used to be the hangout for all the students from cathal bruagh st so it was full five nights a week.
    The students then started going to the place across the road and yer man basically never operated the same way again..now its more like a members club for dissafected middle aged drunks and a surprising amount of women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

a members club for dissafected middle aged drunks

Did you get your membership card?:p

now its more like a members club for dissafected middle aged drunks

Note my glowing recommendations earlier in thread. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

Was in there a few years ago with a fella who worked in the Eircom building across the way,when I was walking back from the jacks a massive German Shephard dog just strolled past and nobody said a word,great auld place!

That would be my dog mags, she used to be fairly regular down there. I never know if it's going to be open anymore so I rarely turn up.

great pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

It's my favourite Dublin pub. I love everything about it! If you're cycling in, you can even bring your bike in and lock it to the radiator by the toilets.

deaddonkey wrote: »
    That would be my dog mags, she used to be fairly regular down there. I never know if it's going to be open anymore so I rarely turn up.

great pub.

I'm pretty sure I've met your dog before. Sound!

Warper wrote: »

Nobody's ever been shot there that I know of. I think you're thinking of the Plough maybe on Abbey St?

It did get blown up in the '70s by loyalist terrorists though. :(

Nobody's ever been shot there that I know of. I think you're thinking of the Plough maybe on Abbey St?

It did get blown up in the '70s by loyalist terrorists though. :(

The Red Parrot or whatever its called on Parnell st somebody got shot there ages ago.

The Honeypot on the corner of gardiner st before they built the apartments..now THAT was dodgy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The Red Parrot or whatever its called on Parnell st somebody got shot there ages ago.

The Honeypot on the corner of gardiner st before they built the apartments..now THAT was dodgy!

The Red Parrot is on Dorset St, just before the Royal Canal. Possibly the Shakespeare you are refering to. Edit: the Blue Lion was where someone called John Reddin was shot in 96.

Also wasn't the Honeypot at the junction of Parnell St and Cumberland St North? There was one there up until the 90's with windows about 1 foot high and about 6 feet of the ground. Dodgy as hell like the Blue Lion though I never had an iota of hassle in any of them. (Mind you it wasn't like I went in looking for protection money)

tricky D wrote: »
    The Red Parrot is on Dorset St, just before the Royal Canal. Possibly the Shakespeare you are refering to. Edit: the Blue Lion was where someone called John Reddin was shot in 96.

Also wasn't the Honeypot at the junction of Parnell St and Cumberland St North? There was one there up until the 90's with windows about 1 foot high and about 6 feet of the ground. Dodgy as hell like the Blue Lion though I never had an iota of hassle in any of them. (Mind you it wasn't like I went in looking for protection money)

Ah The Blue Lion. I was never in it, but by the time I moved to the area it had been closed down. I think it was opposite(ish) the bottom of Hill Street.

Here's some pics of The Welcome Inn after the damage in 1974.

Welcome-Inn-Public-House.jpg

4983626732_d07677fd2f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

damn i just may have to have a quick swing by so. Either that or have an impromptu dublin city beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Definitely the blue lion people are thinking of about the shooting. That would be mid 90s or thereabouts. Forgot all about the days of pubs having a dog or two as a frequent guest.

As an aside is the thornbush still open there as well or is it long gone?

• Advertisement

D wrote: »
    Either that or have an impromptu dublin city beers.

Splendid idea! I can talk to John so its definatley open that nite!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement