Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Welcome Inn still open these days?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

tricky D wrote: »
    The Red Parrot is on Dorset St, just before the Royal Canal. Possibly the Shakespeare you are refering to. Edit: the Blue Lion was where someone called John Reddin was shot in 96.

Also wasn't the Honeypot at the junction of Parnell St and Cumberland St North? There was one there up until the 90's with windows about 1 foot high and about 6 feet of the ground. Dodgy as hell like the Blue Lion though I never had an iota of hassle in any of them. (Mind you it wasn't like I went in looking for protection money)

Ah The Blue Lion. I was never in it, but by the time I moved to the area it had been closed down. I think it was opposite(ish) the bottom of Hill Street.

Here's some pics of The Welcome Inn after the damage in 1974.

Welcome-Inn-Public-House.jpg

4983626732_d07677fd2f.jpg

John has plenty more of those pics behind the bar. He was working when it was blown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Definitely the blue lion people are thinking of about the shooting. That would be mid 90s or thereabouts. Forgot all about the days of pubs having a dog or two as a frequent guest.

As an aside is the thornbush still open there as well or is it long gone?

The Thornbush has changed name/owner a few times in the last decade. I wouldn't be surprised if it is open or at least the licence is still attached to it, even if it is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

The welcome got redecorated after the bombings, and hasn't had a thing done to it since, but apparently there is a room upstairs, where the white circle is on the pics, that was only minimally damaged inside, and it remains to this day as it was in the 60s or from whenever it was previously decorated.

The welcome's heyday for me anyway was around 95-2000, the place was buzzing with characters every night of the week, great great pub,

The thornbush has changed a few times, it was a polish pub for a long time, then a dublin GAA supporters pub and at the moment, I think it is a kinda chinese karaoke bar now.

The blue lion was taken over by Korean management, and became a absolutely excellent bar called the ice bar for a few years in the mid 00s, that bar has now been incorporated into the surrounding chinese/korean restaurant. The Korean management and staff moved across the round to the Shakespeare, and now run it as the Hop House bar and Kim Chi restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

It sure is! Was in there the other week.
    Might not be open on Sundays though, except for match days. Really it depends on whether the owner feels like opening up or not! Sound guy though.

it does not care for the match crowds and does not open sundays. I see they filmed a bit of love hate in the place.
    its a strange place in the sense that is not commercial. it seems to be a hobby for the guy, who does give you the time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Degsy wrote: »
    Splendid idea! I can talk to John so its definatley open that nite!

Great idea. I'm on for it if ye are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

As an aside is the thornbush still open there as well or is it long gone?

Haven't thought of that spot for years. Think it would have been about 1993 or 1994 I was there last? Used to be quite late opening.

Was there a pub on that part of Parnell Street called Berminghams (or Briminghams) years and years ago? I know there is one on Dorset Street too. I remember being taken there by my da a long time ago (as in 81, 82) on the way to Croke Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

stovelid wrote: »
    Haven't thought of that spot for years. Think it would have been about 1993 or 1994 I was there last? Used to be quite late opening.

Was there a pub on that part of Parnell Street called Berminghams (or Briminghams) years and years ago? I know there is one on Dorset Street too. I remember being taken there by my da a long time ago (as in 81, 82) on the way to Croke Park.

Thornbush was a great pub. Don't remember a birminghams on Parnell st but you are right there definitely was on Dorset st (opposite little kavanaghs) but that was a quiet place with a very 70s look and not in a trendy retro way but a dirty not a penny spent on it since that time period way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Thornbush was a great pub. Don't remember a birminghams on Parnell st but you are right there definitely was on Dorset st (opposite little kavanaghs) but that was a quiet place with a very 70s look and not in a trendy retro way but a dirty not a penny spent on it since that time period way

Maybe it was the one on Dorset street I was taken to but I'm always thought it was on Parnell Street around where Thornbush was/is. Must ask my aul fella.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Anybody remember the Airways House?

Just at the back of the Welcome Inn..was in there once on the night the manager got brained over the head with an iron bar..lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Ah the Airways,now thats a blast from the past.Used to drink there in the early '90's!!Full of students back then,abit like the Welcome Inn.

• Advertisement

It's still there as is the proprietor, a very nice, funny elderly gentleman. I think it's quite charming. Décor looks like it's from the '60s or '70s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Berminghams is a great pub. The decor is magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Is Bermingham's on Dorset St up for sale? Could have sworn I saw an estate agents sign above the door one morning.

Sadly the Welcome Inn is no more.
    Was talking to John on Saturday and he tells me its closed for good.

He apparantly got stung with a bill for 500k for a nursing home his mother was in and he has to sell the premises.

The end of an earring i think you'll agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

He apparantly got stung with a bill for 500k for a nursing home his mother was in and he has to sell the premises.

That's a real shame. I loved the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Now I really want to go. I still think that an impromptu Dublin city beers would be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Has it closed already or are there a few days left?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Has it closed already or are there a few days left?

Closed already from what i can gather.

Ah jaysus. Oh well. Another nail in the coffin of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Yep, its a real shame. He's been planning to close for a good while though, for other reasons which I wont go into, this unfortunately has just sped up the process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭crushproof

No way, I was planning to pop in the next couple of weeks before Christmas, tick another pub off the list. Disappointed to see and feel sorry for the owner..... wonder if there's a chance he'll get bailed out? :rolleyes:

This calls for Beers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

He wont get 500 K for it lucky to get about 225K

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Anyone been to the Hacieenda on Little Arran St?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Yup. Strange place if he does not like the look of you
    Not let in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Hootanany wrote: »
    Yup. Strange place if he does not like the look of you
    Not let in

It's a strange place even if he does like the look of you. ;)

Hootanany wrote: »
    He wont get 500 K for it lucky to get about 225K

In fairness its a prime location for a boozer if the formula is right to attract people..i mean fibbers does very well and so does the shakespeare all within yards of the place..i might even buy it myself if the price is right:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement