Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best hot chocolate in dublin

Options
  • 26-11-2011 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Feel free to move if this is in the wrong place mods.
    Ive developed an obsession with hot chocolate of late and was wondering where the best hot chocolate in dublin city centre is? so far butlers is winning but ive only really tried that and insomnia so any help would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Cioccolata Fiorentina from Carluccio's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Accents on Stephen's Street - steamed milk with a dish of add your own chocolate buttons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Wouldn't say butlers .... Drinking it right now and it's not the best.

I have a giant tub of Cadbury hot chocolate at home . ( too big to buy in shops ) and Ill be using it for when im going to and from work in the flask in the car !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

robbie_998 wrote: »
    Wouldn't say butlers .... Drinking it right now and it's not the best.

I have a giant tub of Cadbury hot chocolate at home . ( too big to buy in shops ) and Ill be using it for when im going to and from work in the flask in the car !

Ah come on, you can't say cadbury's is better than Butler's! I mean, sure, if you work out on a "taste per cent spent" basis, cadbury's wins, but it's never nicer than Butler's!

On topic OP, I think Butler's is the best. Everywhere else I've tried seems to do cadburys, which always ends up tasting quite weak when you don't have control of the spoon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

SBWife wrote: »
    Accents on Stephen's Street - steamed milk with a dish of add your own chocolate buttons.

I like the sound of this!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

SBWife wrote: »

I've had this too, delicious! You can have dark, milk or white, or a combination of any.

Only warning is to add the chocolate slowly and taste, putting to much in can ruin it.

I like the hot chocolate in Lilliput Stores, Stoneybatter, it's very nice.

Butler's for me depends, sometimes I love it (along with their oatmeal cookie!), others I find it too sweet.

For home, I has to be Green and Blacks. It is gorgeous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Must try Accents myself!

I like Butlers chocolates, but their hot chocolate.... so-so, there's something about it, I can only have a few sups and then it's a bit sickly.
    Insomnia hot chocolate is rank (they use or did use lily obriens to make it).

Best two places I personally like - Costa (with marshamallows!) and Starbucks (minus the cream).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

BB's .... Sadly not availible in Dublin city centre :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I found Accents to be very disappointing. They don't give you enough chocolate, or maybe the standard of the dark chocolate just isn't high enough or the milk was semi-skinned. I'm not sure, but it ended up tasting too watery.

Insomnia aren't too bad, but for using actual melted chocolate, than Butlers is probably the best on offer at the minute.

Is the chocolate cafe on Henry Street still open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

KC Peaches on Nassau Street, they melt white, milk or dark chocolate with milk. Yummy!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Elmar Fudd

I used to make hot chocolate by putting 4 squares of Bournville and a cup of milk in a pot and heating & stirring it. But don't let it boil and don't try using milk chocolate, Toblerones or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Taste of Emilia on Liffey St do a fantastic hot chocolate. It's very thick and rich, made from real chocolate and hot milk. Definitely my favourite in Ireland. I make a similar drink at home with 50g of an 85% dark chocolate and 3 squares of milk chocolate to sweeten. But theirs is still richer and thicker than mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

iguana wrote: »
    Taste of Emilia on Liffey St do a fantastic hot chocolate. It's very thick and rich, made from real chocolate and hot milk. Definitely my favourite in Ireland. I make a similar drink at home with 50g of an 85% dark chocolate and 3 squares of milk chocolate to sweeten. But theirs is still richer and thicker than mine.

Have you tried substituting some double cream for part of the milk? The double cream makes it thicken as it cools slightly. Nomtastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Feel free to move if this is in the wrong place mods.
    Ive developed an obsession with hot chocolate of late and was wondering where the best hot chocolate in dublin city centre is? so far butlers is winning but ive only really tried that and insomnia so any help would be great :)
    If I'm out it had to be butlers but at home it would be twinnings.

Benoits chocolate cafe in the ilac centre. They do an amazing roasted hazelnut hot chocolate. Think you can get it in Leonidas in the jervis and fallon and Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Will have to try these places out!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Cocoa Atelier on Drury Street

Advertisement