Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEED A NEW PHONE

Options
  • 26-11-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I kinda need to get a new phone. I have a Nokia E71 and an IPod Touch 2nd gen and I'd like to kinda combine them as in getting a new touchscreen phone. My budget is €300. I was thinking about a second hand IPhone 3GS 32gb from adverts maybe. I half thought about the htc desire s but I heard it's probably not getting the ice cream sandwich update.I really like most htc phones and the Sony Ericsson arc looks really good and slick.I need my phone to be either android iOS or windows because I've heard they have good app stores.Also can you transfer your iTunes music onto the htc or Sony Ericsson smartphones.Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If you stretch your budget out a tiny bit (and look around), you could get a new Samsung Galaxy S II or HTC Sensation on adverts for that much money, better option than iPhone 3gs imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

My advice would be: dont touch the HTC desire with a forty foot bargepole. Ive had one for almost a year and its the greatest heap of sh1te I've ever had in a phone....

If you text much, the predictive text memorises all of your mis-spelled words....not just (as it should) the final spellings....so you get all sorts of odd suggestions...

Also, it files sent texts in the wrong out-box...so if you send a text to A the text sometimes appears as being sent to B which can be a bit awkward at times....

That's just texts....I could go on and on. I'll be reverting to a trust NOKIA next time!

When I upgrade I intend to bring a hammer with me to the phone shop and smash it to bits on the counter....just to stop some other unfortunate getting their hands on it....i wont be donating it to charity...that would constitute sabotage!

Piece of utter junk! AVOID!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Personally I haven't found android as slick as Apple or Nokia. Everything seems to much more fiddly on android. Especially text input, regardless of what keyboard and predictive text app you download. What format is your itunes music. MP3 or AAC ? Most phones will play MP3 dunno about AAC. If you want apps then Apple or Android is your choice, as Symbian isn't in the race. Though I think I prefer the Symbian phones as phones, organizers. I'd probably head for the Samsung or the Sonys if I was you. I wouldn't go for a 3GS as you risk Apple dropping it from future updates and also its not going to that quick with the newer OS updates.

I've been using Android 2.2 for a while, and just the last few days I've gone back to a 1.5 device, and I think its actually a lot easier than 2.2, its far less fussy.

You don't really say what you want the phone for. If its for audio quality, you should check out GSM arena for reviews of the music quality. Some of these smart phones are pretty poor for music. 4GS, N8 are good, dunno about the androids. I'd expect the Sonys are decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

exaisle wrote: »
    My advice would be: dont touch the HTC desire with a forty foot bargepole. Ive had one for almost a year and its the greatest heap of sh1te I've ever had in a phone....

If you text much, the predictive text memorises all of your mis-spelled words....not just (as it should) the final spellings....so you get all sorts of odd suggestions...

Also, it files sent texts in the wrong out-box...so if you send a text to A the text sometimes appears as being sent to B which can be a bit awkward at times....

That's just texts....I could go on and on. I'll be reverting to a trust NOKIA next time!

When I upgrade I intend to bring a hammer with me to the phone shop and smash it to bits on the counter....just to stop some other unfortunate getting their hands on it....i wont be donating it to charity...that would constitute sabotage!

Piece of utter junk! AVOID!!

Just because you cant use it...My gf has it and she has no problems with it what so ever.

@evolutionqy7 - I'm very happy that your gf is happy with her HTC Desire. Unfortunately, that is not my experience.

How it manages to file a sent sms in the outbox of somebody to whom I havent actually sent it seems much more like a technical issue than user misuse to me.
    I use the phone extensively for texting and I've found the vocabulary in the predictive text to be very limited. I am technically adept and I have read the manual. Furthermore, I have contacted HTC technical support who have put the problem down to "software glitches"...well, sorry, not good enough.

I don't intend to respond to the personal element of your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

exaisle wrote: »
    @evolutionqy7 - I'm very happy that your gf is happy with her HTC Desire. Unfortunately, that is not my experience.

I don't intend to respond to the personal element of your post.

Why don't ya just get a different keyboard from the market? Though Being honest the keyboard HTC provide is one of the best. Its hard to beat it.

The keyboard isnt the problem...I can type whatever letters I want without much difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭THRASHER73

Had the original desire for last year & a half... fantastic device.

@ exaisle... as evolutionqy7 said.. if you cant figure out how to use an app or have problems with it... change it!! Its the open ability to change & personalize the devices that has made android take off in the last few years.

@ WINTERSBOII.. desire definatley better device than iphone 3G or 3GS. Arc looks sweet & id hate to spend €300 on a 2nd hand device. Try amazon for desire s, nexus s (as nexus got no exec software.. should get ice cream update early) possibly get one for €300 - €350 delivered. Xperia play on o2 for €159? id prob go for nexus but i like htc build quality.

Advertisement